My Fireline Revelation

This post has 119 Replies | 6 Followers rated by 1 users
Not Ranked
Posts 2
B Gillett wrote
on Feb 10, 2013 8:45 AM

I thought I was the only crazy to try a flat spiral stitch. My most ambitious project was a 12" solar system. I have been tying a square knot to attach more thread (Fireline) and have had the knot slip several times. I decided there must be a better way and started searching. So far, I haven't found anyone who has a knot that will hold and fit through a bead. Many fishermen think a double uni is the answer but I don't think it will fit through a bead. Weaving the end through the beads, maybe knotting to a bead, seems like it might work well. If anybody else has an idea, I hope to hear from you.  And any advise on keeping the whole work flat, especially as you get into larger diameters. 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 607
shanks wrote
on Feb 10, 2013 10:46 AM

I have burned the ends of fireline for a long time, and this works. Leaving a tiny bit to be burnt off, wrap the knot around your finger withe the two tips of line sticking up. Hold the flame close enough to the line to curl the ends. When the flame gets hot enough to start to heat your finger you will have had the ends curled right up to the end of the knot. Believe me it works

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,143
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on Feb 15, 2013 8:11 PM

I have 2 "Thread Zappers". It burns the ends of any thread, it forms a small ball on the end. This helps the thread stay put. All LBS carry them( I think)

They are not expensive. I use to use a disposal lighter and ended up remaking alot of my projects. So the Thread Burner was a time saver.

Gyspy Mary

Blessed are those who can Give, without remembering

and Take with out Forgetting

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,522
D.M.Z wrote
on Feb 15, 2013 9:55 PM

And, always the voice of the "differing" opinion.......... I always use a disposable lighter. My bead pals all stop and don't breath while I am doing it, but the way I learned it was to aim those tiny ends at the base of the flame, and just move it in closer slowly and all of a sudden the ends will turn into those little white balls of joy.  The trick with using a lighter is not to try to burn a thread that is long.............. it will catch. Scared me silly when I did it, thought I had fireworks going off. Donna

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 515
tcwhit wrote
on Feb 15, 2013 10:32 PM

ok Donna guess what? Fingernail polish is still flammable after 2 days on your nails. Go ahead, ask me how I know.................

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,522
D.M.Z wrote
on Feb 15, 2013 11:58 PM

TC, here I sit laughing.........sorry. Maybe we should both be out buying zappers, no? I knew the moment I lit up that thread that it was something I should have cut shorter. I had a bunch of ends to burn off and I cut them all short, that particular one was sort of hiding and I didn't see it until I was working my way down the bracelet burning ends, so in place of using brains I just thought I'd go on ahead and burn that longer one off. It started to melt in toward the knot, but all of a sudden it got a bit too hot I'm guessing and it went and did whirlies and shot off little bits of hot Fireline. I will NOT do that again. 

So..........do tell, how did your nail polish experiment come about? I never wear polish, heck with big dogs and gardening and beading I never have nails enough to fuss with. I grow them by the mile but then break them off. So at any given time I have maybe (I'm checking right now) three that look good, two that just broke today and the others have just gotten clipped off because they look like I had them in a wood chipper. Is your tale good? Do tell. Donna

Not Ranked
Posts 2
B Gillett wrote
on Feb 16, 2013 7:35 AM

Thanks for the tips on Fireline. As I type, my project awaits me. I need to add in more line. I  hate trying to knot this stuff so your help is appreciated. But the image of nail polish catching fire has me grinning foolishly and I thank you for that too.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 570
Beadiecat wrote
on Feb 17, 2013 1:32 PM

I tried using a lighter the other day and I melted three of the beads off my project, LOL!  I think I will either get a thread burner or just keep dong what I have been doing, weaving the ends through until they are secure.  I got lazy, and that's what happened.

Cat

The Cat's Meow Blog

My RebelMouse page and Etsy shop

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,296
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Feb 17, 2013 1:59 PM

I use a thread zapper, but I only use it to cut my thread close to my work. I make sure that my thread is tied good and secure and have been woven through my piece to make sure it isn't going to come apart before I use my zapper. No way would I trust that little ball of plastic to to not break off and cause my bracelet to fail. 

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,522
D.M.Z wrote
on Feb 17, 2013 3:14 PM

Sue, my bad..............when I am burning those ends they are already knotted in surgeon's knot if I have the room, or a regular double knot, and often many many half hitches............then I burn the remaining little stubs off.

So I use my lighter like you use your zapper. A girl can never have enough knots, can she?

Those little balls of line CAN and WILL come off if abused or abraided. And if they turn black they are not good anyway because you have "over cooked" the line and it is done for. So I never depend on them to do anything except shorten up the ends. 

Cat, bet you were surprised, no? Donna

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 570
Beadiecat wrote
on Feb 18, 2013 11:50 AM

Donna, I was very surprised!  One second I had a cute little picot of three size 15 seed beads, and the next second it was gone.  I guess I should know glass melts, but that was very quick!  At least I was able to repair it without undoing the bracelet.

Now I know why I am afraid of fire, and I will rethink buying the cute little butane torch I saw at Michaels the other day, LOL.

Cat

The Cat's Meow Blog

My RebelMouse page and Etsy shop

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,522
D.M.Z wrote
on Feb 18, 2013 12:11 PM

Cat, we had a lbs here some time back and the owner was a very talented person, she brought in her creme brule torch and used it............. I've used soldering irons and woodburning tools but know enough to stay away from torches. Hubby used to do lampwork and he and his pals would periodically give themselves "permanent reminders" of how dangerous torches can be. So I have easily resisted the urge to do anything with a torch. I am very careful even with my little disposable lighter!!! 

Sometimes I'll go through a whole project without burning ends. But when you get something like a Cellini spiral that uses up 3 yard spans of Fireline like crazy, I get out the lighter at the end. Stay safe. Donna

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on Sep 11, 2013 1:48 PM

Just went to Walmart web site and they do carry the smaller sizes-at least for ordering on line.  If you order

$45 worth of appropriate stuff they will send it with free delivery.  I only looked at the crystal fireline.  Can't comment

on the other colors

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Franklin889 wrote
on Oct 1, 2013 2:50 AM

The clear blush has a little altered texture, but behaves appealing abundant like the grey. She did a brace of pieces with both, and the aberration in the accomplished artefact was amazingly brighter with the crystal. Not crazy about the green.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 551
CryssT wrote
on Oct 13, 2013 8:58 PM

I like the green for Halloween and there is an orange too.

Otherwise, I use the crystal - it blends with most everything.

Page 8 of 8 (120 items) « First ...  < Previous  4 5 6 7 8 | RSS