My Fireline Revelation

This post has 119 Replies | 6 Followers rated by 1 users
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 388
wmweeza wrote
on Sep 22, 2010 5:41 PM

Oh it is, after 3 glasses of wine...when you really don't care. Or skip the wine, pick a project you don't care about or like, I GUARANTEE it'll turn out perfect! Try something on a project you really love or is expensive to make? It'll turn into a birds nest every time.

At least that's my experience so far! Okay, so I embellished, not really, but it happens enough that I question my sanity daily, and tell my pets frequently to leave me alone, I'm working on an earth shatterring project...lol

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 90
TreasureW wrote
on Sep 22, 2010 5:57 PM

Thank you Philonese, I did read your reply, and I like the idea of fabric condirioner sheets, which I will try (along with using a slightly shorter thread, I may have been using too much.)

I will say, when it tangles, it doesn't want to come undone like Nymo....it stays put, and I find I have to weave my way out of the tangle. Hopefully I can stop that now... Good tip too about threading the right end....never thought of that.

But for now I need sleep, I'll try again tomorrow.

Teresa

Norwich, UK

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 388
wmweeza wrote
on Sep 30, 2010 7:56 PM

I need fireline help..I used an arm length shorter section, and now find myself stick on how to add another section to a weaved bracelet by tying it on.

I am doing a flat spiral stitch, where the heck do I put a knot and how to secure it?

Its just one long thread, so I'm stuck on what knot and where to tie it

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 90
TreasureW wrote
on Oct 1, 2010 3:30 AM

I haven't usde my Fireline on flat spiral yet, but I have found on other things, weaving back through the beads and tying a half-hitch between beads (around the existing thread) several times, just like you would with Nymo, works well and does hold, as long as you do it several times. A tiny drop of glue on the knot would help, but that's not easy to do between beads.

I've made a couple of capricho (sp) cuffs with it, so there are several joins, all of which have held really well. 6lb strength is fine enough to tie a knot tightly without producing a bulky lump between beads. One of the other ladies on here burns her ends, but I've yet to figure out how to do this without damaging the beads!!

I also now manage to use two arm lengths with a long-eyed needle, leaving a short end through the needle, minimising the need for lots of joins and reducing the risk of tangles, though it sometimes will as you use it, as it twists, but running your fingers down the thread sorts that out. It's also easier to undo a tight tangle with a needle than with other threads...I love it!

Teresa

Norwich, UK

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,269
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Oct 1, 2010 8:20 AM

I use a "Threat Zapper" to burn the thread ends. I love it, although it was a bit pricey. I think I spend something like $27.00 for it, but I can't remember for sure. I have 'sometimers' you know what you get after you have raised all your kids and they have left home. Husband says it selective. LOL

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,825
KipperCat wrote
on Oct 2, 2010 1:13 PM

I was going to post this to the "Beaders Shouldn't " discussion. When I'm experienced with a stitch and/or project I don't mind using thread at two arms' length plus a bit. But if I'm doing something new or that seems complicated, I stick to about 4'.

I've only tried to burn thread a couple of times, and was quite unsuccessful.  Maybe I should practice up on one of my bead doodles and see if I can get the hang of it.  The thread zapper is still on my "might buy some day" list.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 90
TreasureW wrote
on Oct 2, 2010 4:50 PM

Now that thread zapper sounds like a real 'must-have' item. I'm not sure if we can get them over here, but if not, does anyone fancy a beady guest for a few days while I get one? Big Smile  (I only drop beads where I'm working, honest)

Seriously, I do find fireline tends to grip itself quite nicely when knotted as I've learned from some of the tangles I got in when I first began to use it, and several knots woven in to the work holds well..... That zapper will add more security.  Off now to justify the expense to my other half....

Teresa

Norwich, UK

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 388
wmweeza wrote
on Oct 3, 2010 2:25 AM

I wonder if a small craft size solder iron would work just as well?  I might as well try since I own one!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 90
TreasureW wrote
on Oct 3, 2010 4:00 AM

DOH!! never thought of my soldering iron...nice one!

Teresa

Norwich, UK

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,269
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Oct 3, 2010 9:17 AM

it may work okay, but be careful with that hot iron. The nice thing about the thread zapper is that it is heated by a battery, and it is only hot as long as you are holding down the button. Once you remove your finger from the button it starts to cool down and  because it is only a thin wire that heats up, it cools off pretty darn fast. It isn't likely to accidentally burn anything or anybody. HOWEVER that said, I have burnt my finger by being stupid, and I used my finger to test to see if it was working.  It will burn you!  I learned the hard way  that you really don't have to test it with your finger. If it doesn't cut the thread, you can be assured it isn't working and you should change the battery.

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 388
wmweeza wrote
on Oct 4, 2010 12:29 PM

I will get a thread zapper, but the soldering iron may work for now

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 547
CryssT wrote
on Oct 4, 2010 11:59 PM

the thread zapper makes a clean, tight cut.  you can get into tight places with it.  i've been using one since 2007 and like is said - it's the best thing since sliced bread (and if you've sliced bread you understand). it cools down fast. 

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 388
wmweeza wrote
on Oct 10, 2010 2:38 PM

How long does the tip last? I keep seeing replacement tips for sale, so I'm a little confused

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 547
CryssT wrote
on Oct 10, 2010 7:07 PM

i've been using mine 3 years and it works fine.  trying to remember if there's an extra tip in the base of the zapper.  i'll have to check.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
EleanorD@5 wrote
on Oct 10, 2010 11:15 PM

Thank you for answering my question before I even asked it!  I am new to beadweaving. I am making a Ndebele bracelet with Nymo and I find it frays terribly and its hard to get on the needle.  I'm also making a bracelet out of metal seed beads using 6# test Fireline. I bought a spool of 4# test at Bass-Pro-Shop today to try in place of the Nymo, not being sure it was the right stuff to try.  By the look of your beautiful bracelet, I feel confident that it will work just fine.  Thank you for your post and picture!

~Eleanor

Page 7 of 8 (120 items) « First ...  < Previous  4 5 6 7 8  Next > | RSS