My Fireline Revelation

This post has 119 Replies | 6 Followers rated by 1 users
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 363
Ruth. wrote
on Apr 30, 2010 12:18 PM

Kathy - To keep fireline from cutting into my finger I use the bandaid brand "blister" band aids. They are a rubbery gel type construction and can be reused. I have poked myself with the needle and it doesn't go through. I found them at a discount grocery place for .50 and have been hooked ever since.

Shippensburg Pennsylvania - about 30 minutes from Gettysburg

Not Ranked
Posts 1
catteo wrote
on Jun 8, 2010 7:25 PM

Hi!

I am new to beading and was trying to find out more about Fireline when I come across this message. Can I use Fireline to string stones (chips). I am trying to make a necklace without any clasp.

Thanking you in advance for your precious guidance and advice.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,477
ForumModerator
LinaG2 wrote
on Jun 8, 2010 8:09 PM

Personally, I would only use fireline for weaving projects...not a necklace.  If you want to string some chips on to make a necklace with no clasp, I would use elastic.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,471
ForumModerator
JSmaz wrote
on Jun 9, 2010 4:58 AM

Not sure about the elastic for something that will weigh quite a bit, but that's MHO.  I'd use nylon coated beading wire (Accuflex, Beadalon, SoftFlex, etc) and just string as much as you want, then run each end of the wire through a crimp bead and crimp it.  That should hold just fine.

Jeni

Oklahoma City

ArtFire Studio & blog  |  Gallery 

Not Ranked
Posts 2
on Sep 22, 2010 11:44 AM

O.K there's obviously something I'm not getting here..... My fireline ( for jewelry making  4lb)  has snapped twice.......   Both times i was making a "chevron chain" choker . The first time I thought...... maybe it was those small  bugles, that can be a bit sharp????   the second time I was just in the middle of my piece & it snapped.......?????   I don't get it....   If I try breaking it with my hands it's impossible.....   Also, if I can figure this part out..... What's the best way to finish?   Generally I would just  time a couple of knots & glue.....    any advise would be greatly appreciated, I really want this to work  :-) jess

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 90
TreasureW wrote
on Sep 22, 2010 4:56 PM

Ooooooh, this thread is more timely than you will every know. I'm quite new to beading, having previously worked with wire and stringing....and have made some really lovely pieces with Nymo...but as others have said, it leaves them a little too flexible, especially the capricho's shown on the showcase section. Mine didn't hold themselves up like the photo's, so I thought it's time I tracked down some Fireline. I could only find the beadsmith 6lb test in crystal here, even the fishing shops don't do it, but I'm loving it.

Now, I was going to start a whole new thread about what to do to prevent it tangling. I love the feel of the work in progress but it's taking me twice as long to do because I keep having to untangle it. In fact, I've thrown it across the room more than once!!! (sorry, not usually this temperamental Embarrassed)

Reading through this thread, I've found the answers to all my questions....and love the idea of fabric conditioner sheets. It makes sense.

Thank you all for a very informative and helpful thread. Smile

Teresa

Norwich, UK

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,477
ForumModerator
LinaG2 wrote
on Sep 22, 2010 5:04 PM

Teresa, that is so funny...I am a weave at heart and I have never had an issue as I hear all the time of fireline tangling.  What I think is that most ppl like to work with long fireline...I don't...if I have to pull more than above my head...it's too long and I never have a knotting issue and have never conditioned it at all but I am glad you found the threads.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 388
wmweeza wrote
on Sep 22, 2010 5:11 PM

Okay now you've lost me...how the heck would you make a fireline raw necklace WITHOUT making it longer then reaching beyond your head? A weaved bracelet takes about 40 inches, I need to make a necklace, but more then a yardstick of fireline? The thought makes me want to tear my hair out!

I could weight it down to prevent tangles just from the weaving motion, but I see no way to make a long necklace without tangles using RAW.

Is there some way to use two needles...and not use a piece the length of my body? lol

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 90
TreasureW wrote
on Sep 22, 2010 5:20 PM

Funny you should say that, I've just asked on a UK forum, and was told maybe I'm using too long a thread, so maybe that's the answer too. It means more knotting and weaving by hey, the end justifies the means.

Would weighting it prior to using it help maybe? I know it doesn't stretch, but maybe a weight will make it less curly as it is when it comes off the reel?

Teresa

Norwich, UK

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,477
ForumModerator
LinaG2 wrote
on Sep 22, 2010 5:22 PM

Yes, you are correct, it does...when my fireline begins to get short, I weave it through the finished part and knot it and burn the ends.  Some people do not like to know, they just weave through but I do all three and then a grab some more thread about the length of my art again weave through the finished parts and continue on...I will have loose threads everywhere, but once my piece is finished, I burn them all off.  If you are doing right angle weave, yes, you can use 2 needles but why complicate your life and your tension...just shorten your thread to half the length of your body...lol.  In other words, I do not pull more than 2 feet of fireline when I use it.  I don't do RAW with 2 needles cus I don't like it but I am sure someone on the forum will be able to tell you how.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 90
TreasureW wrote
on Sep 22, 2010 5:25 PM

*eye's up my two arm-spans of thread and wonders where I threw my cutters*

Thank you, that makes sense. Note to self, it's not Nymo, use less! Big Smile

Teresa

Norwich, UK

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 388
wmweeza wrote
on Sep 22, 2010 5:26 PM

Thanks! I may just have to try that today! I wanted to make a necklace, but the length of fireline needed was forcing me to avoid it lest I burn all my bead supplies

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,477
ForumModerator
LinaG2 wrote
on Sep 22, 2010 5:27 PM

You re hilarious!!!! 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 90
TreasureW wrote
on Sep 22, 2010 5:28 PM

I thought this hobby was supposed to be relaxing! Haha....

Teresa

Norwich, UK

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 146
on Sep 22, 2010 5:39 PM

This is a long thread and I thought I responded , but maybe not.  Here are my tips on using Fireline.

1. Alway thread your needle as the thread/fireline comes off the spool.  Which means the end attached to the spool that you cut is your tail.  The other end you thread into your needle.

2. Take a piece of fabric softner and pull the Fireline thru itm this removes some of the static and in the case of the smoke Fireline removes some of the black that comes off in your hands.

3.  I only uae 4lb when I want a soft fabric like feel to my woven pieces, otherwise I always use 6lb.  I have only broken Fireline once when using bugles, in that case I actually took the time to file the ends of the bugles, used a 10lb Fireline and doubled it.  If you are using the Wildfire brand that Beadalon puts out, it will break if you tie it in a knot.   I got a free roll in a class and the instructor shows that if you tried to break the Wildfire it would not break, then she tied a knot in it and it broke immediately.

Hope these help.

Page 6 of 8 (120 items) « First ...  < Previous  4 5 6 7 8  Next > | RSS