My Fireline Revelation

This post has 119 Replies | 6 Followers rated by 1 users
Not Ranked
Posts 23
on Nov 16, 2008 12:57 AM

Hi Stephanie,

Try Big W fishing department or Ray's camping if you have one nearby.  Otherwise, Cranberry.net.au stock Fireline.

Good luck.

Christine

Love those beady beads.

Chrisbeads 

My Etsy Shop

Not Ranked
Posts 12
RedCreations wrote
on Dec 2, 2008 8:55 PM

Hi there :-)

All of this FireLine talks!! I love it! :-) (I'm hooked on Fireline...)

Wanted to touch on a few points people have commented on...

1. Regarding the speculation that there is a difference in the FireLine that is bought at wal-marts or sporting goods stores vs. the beadsmith marketed one sold at beadstores... I have heard this rumor before - what I was told was that, like other fishing lines, the Fireline sold for actual FISHING is made to be biodegradeable so it's more eco-friendly. In otherwords, won't have the longevity you would want for a bead-woven piece that has maybe taken you hours.. The kind put out under the Beadsmith name is a newer formula that lasts longer and won't break down since it's not going to be left in a clump on the ground or in a lake by a possible fisherman... But who knows - this is something definetely worth looking into further as this was only something told to me by someone who heard it from a beadstore owner...

2. My own personal taste - I use between 6-8lb. I find 4lb to be a bit too flimsy for me, I find I can get through beads just as many times with 6lb...and if that works - why not get the extra strength!

3. My favorite thing to do when the grey fireline just doesn't seem to match (I find orange and bright red to be trouble colors...the grey shows up AND the crystal shows up...) is I take the crystal FireLine and color it with a permenant marker! "SHARPIE" markers come in every color of the rainbow now-a-days and you can get really spot on matches!

4. Someone mentioned that FireLine doesn't need waxing... while it may not need it for all of the same reasons a thread like Nymo might have needed it - it does WONDERS for keeping nice tight tension!!! :-) So I wax and wax away... (Microcrystalline Synthetic Beaders wax to be exact. It's gummier nature, more than bees wax, tend to cling to the FireLine alot more in my opinion...) :-)

Ok, I think that's it :-)

~Leah

Not Ranked
Posts 23
on Dec 3, 2008 12:44 AM

Hi Leah

Regarding colour, here in Australia Fireline is sold in four colours - smoke (grey), green, pink and crystal (white).  It is great to use the green with green beads and pink with pink and red to orange.

Christine

Love those beady beads.

Chrisbeads 

My Etsy Shop

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 244
Nemeton wrote
on Dec 3, 2008 1:50 AM

I hated fireline with a passion the first time I tried it... but recently I was lucky enough to get a place on a workshop with Laura McCabe, which pushed me outside my beading box in very many ways! By the end of the day I was happily stitching away and had got the knack of avoiding the tangled ends that used to drive me mad, and now I would choose fireline for a much wider range of my beading projects (although I do still like nymo for supple-textured pieces with right angle weave and size 15's). That taught me a valuable lesson about keeping an open mind!

Lynn

My website: http://lynndavybeadwork.co.uk/

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 96
on Dec 6, 2008 3:01 PM

Hi Stephanie,

I buy Fireline at Big W  and fishing tackle shops. Strangely, tackle shops can be cheaper than the big shops.

Cutting Fireline can be a pain unless you have Fiskars bravd kids scissors. I bought mine in the scapbook section of Kmart. The Scissorman has them at shows or you can order them by mail Great investment.

Fireline Crystal 6lb is my thread of choice for almost any colour bead. For black beads I still use the Smoke. I'm hopeless with crimps so for stringing use some 12lb Spiderwire I bought years ago. Some tackle shops have a Korean brand Spectra line that is much cheaper than Fireline. Don't bother with it. The coating is much thicker and awful to work with.

Sandy

Down Under

Sandy

Down Under

wrote
on Dec 7, 2008 1:41 AM

Lynn, I'm so jealous!  I'd love to take a Laura McCabe class.  Maybe someday...

I went to a couple different places when I was home for Thanksgiving, and I just couldn't bring myselft to pay for Fireline.  Spiderwire is less than half the cost and it works so well for me. I don't know how they'll be on the biodegradable issue, but the earliest projects I've done with them (roughly 5-6 years ago) are still as good as new, but I don't leave them sitting in the sun or get them wet.  I did buy a couple of other brands to try something different, so I'll have to back when I've had a chance to use them.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,269
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Dec 11, 2008 7:39 AM

RedCreations:

Wanted to touch on a few points people have commented on...

1. Regarding the speculation that there is a difference in the FireLine that is bought at wal-marts or sporting goods stores vs. the beadsmith marketed one sold at beadstores... I have heard this rumor before - what I was told was that, like other fishing lines, the Fireline sold for actual FISHING is made to be biodegradeable so it's more eco-friendly. In otherwords, won't have the longevity you would want for a bead-woven piece that has maybe taken you hours.. The kind put out under the Beadsmith name is a newer formula that lasts longer and won't break down since it's not going to be left in a clump on the ground or in a lake by a possible fisherman... But who knows - this is something definetely worth looking into further as this was only something told to me by someone who heard it from a beadstore owner

Just to clear things up I contacted Berkey which makes Fireline and asked them if there was a difference in the formula for the fireline sold by Beadsmith and here is the e-mail I recieved in reply to my question. This a copy and paste of the message sent back to me. Hope this clears up any rumor of a difference.

Sue,
There is no difference. It is the SAME line.

Nissa Lundquist
Customer Service Representative

PS: I just wanted to add that I have been wearing a bracelet 24/7 for the past 12 months that I made with Fireline from a sporting goods store. I even bath and shower in it. I also have fished in it but I didn't catch any fish with it LOL Wink However it looks just like the day I made it, still tightly woven. Wonderful stuff. Anyway that is why I contacted Berkly to make sure it wasn't going to fall apart anytime soon. And from thier reply I don't think it will.

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,144
on Dec 11, 2008 8:03 AM

Sounds 'kinda' like "A cousins' wifes' uncles' father-in-law heard ... " type tale.  I've seen too much tangled fishing line in trees to swallow that with or without salt.  If you really want to know, ask the manufacturer.

Stan B

Stan B.

Lakeland, MN

USA

Ignorance is curable; Stupidity has neither cure nor excuse.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,144
on Dec 11, 2008 8:19 AM

I went to Berkleys' site <http://www.berkley-fishing.com/about_conservation.php> and he llny conservation measure I found was on 'recycling' fishing line.

Stan B.

Stan B.

Lakeland, MN

USA

Ignorance is curable; Stupidity has neither cure nor excuse.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,269
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Dec 11, 2008 8:40 AM

Confused  ???? wonder if I could get in line for some of that recycled fishing line? I would take what they gave me LOL Just about a month ago I bought a 300 yard spool from the sporting goods store you can' t say here. It is the one that is a short name for Richard.Stick out tongue

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Jan@270 wrote
on Dec 13, 2008 5:40 PM

I'm probably going to be shot for saying this, but I tried Fireline and didn't like it.  I have friends that swear by it, so I tried it.  I agree that it is great to work with, it doesn't fray or split or tangle like Nymo does, but I didn't trust that the knots would hold. 

I tried several different types of knots when finishing my projects and I pulled them as tight as I could, but when I pulled on them, the knots always seemed to slide a little.  It seemed that the Fireline was a little too stiff and a little slippery. 

I discovered another fishing line at Wal-Mart called Trilene that I am more confident in.  It seems to be a sturdy as Fireline but it is not quite a stiff so the knots pull a little tighter and it is very slightly tacky, so it holds the beads in place a little better.  Also, Trilene is less than half the price.  It might be worth a try.

Although, it only comes in clear, and if you try to color it with a marker, the color will come off.  I usually only work with small seed beads or Delicas and I don't use a needle,  so I color the end of the line so I can see it as I'm picking up the beads with it and the color slowly fades.

Thanks for listening to my opinion.

Jan 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,269
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Dec 14, 2008 9:05 AM

Jan no one is going to shoot you for saying what you feel. It is what you like and you are entitled to that. I for one just love Fireline I wouldn't trade it for anything on the market today, but that is me and we are different people and we each have a right to decide for ourselves what we like and will use. Isn't it a wonderful place where we each can decide for ourselves and not have any one shoot us for that.

Here is my question to you, it doesn't have a thing to do with string materal per say. I would like to know how you manage to do peyote without a needle. I see you say you use small Delicas, what size is that, a 11 or 15? I just can't see how you can thread back through those beads to tie off or add thread on without a needle. Please explain how you do this I am curious. When I tie off I weave back through my work tying half hitch knots as I go. To add on I do the same thing going toward the end where I need to continue my work if that makes sense. So I can't see doing this with thread without a needle, and if my line is stiff enough to do this then my project will refect the stiffness of the thread and be like a board. Just my train of thought but maybe it can be changed. I am willing to try most anything once. I am self taught so I am always ready to listen to better ways of doing my beading.

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 57
RomaJane wrote
on Dec 14, 2008 1:38 PM

These talk are so great and helpful.  I am also self taught so this is great reading.

I also went to Walmart looking for the Fireline and found it too expensive, they only had the big spools.  I saw that Trilene brand plus others and I had a hard time deciding, I finally bought two small spools one named Vanish that is made by Berkley (8lb could not find the 6lbs) and EZ Super Mono (4lb) made by Spiderwire (because I heard about it here). 

I will probably start using it next year when I can get back or should I say re-start my peyote project that I started and then ran out of thread and stop, wish me luck.

So thank you all.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,482
D.M.Z wrote
on Dec 14, 2008 4:58 PM

Jan,

No shooting allowed....LOL. But, just FYI. Trilene is a "mono-filament" line and Fireline is a "braided" line. What the dearheart at the sporting goods store told me (they sell a LOT of Fireline to beaders, they are the ones with the name fish in the title) is that since Fireline is a braided line which is then fused, it is substantially stronger then Trilene which is a single strand of basically the same stuff.

So........by choosing Fireline you get three strands of smaller filament bonded into one and even with three strands, it is smaller in diameter then the Trilene. It also breaks less at the knot. This is out of a wonderful little info sheet that I got with my order of Fireline. A girlie can learn SOOO much from the nice guys at the sporting goods place.

Donna in WestOR(dmzapp@gmail.com)

wrote
on Dec 15, 2008 1:09 AM

Thanks for that info, DMZ.  I wasn't sure what the "braided" bit really meant, and now I know. That probably explains the cost difference as well.  If there's no difference between the fishing/beading versions, the "biodegradable" issue doesn't bother me nearly as much.  I bought some of the Trilene while I was home, but haven't tried it yet.  I've been using the Spiderwire for years and it works great for me.  It has broken on occasion (my working thread), but it's very rare.  So far no project I've made with it has broken (that I'm aware of, anyway).  I can understand about the knotting issue.  I haven't had a problem with knots coming undone, but I usually do either a triple knot, do several half-hitch knots and weave the line in before trimming the tails, or add a bit of glue when necessary.  Never hurts to be extra careful.

Page 4 of 8 (120 items) « First ...  < Previous  2 3 4 5 6  Next >  ... Last » | RSS