My Fireline Revelation

This post has 119 Replies | 6 Followers rated by 1 users
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,260
Billy Z wrote
on Aug 23, 2008 2:32 PM

Jsmaz:

you'll love Delicas and it will be hard to keep from buying more...and more...and more...

So I have heard dear, so I have heard. *heavy sigh* Sad

Billy ;o)

I yam wut I yam and dats all wut I yam. ~Popeye~

Dragonfly Jewelry Designs - ArtFire Artisan Studio

Not Ranked
Posts 21
Gayle@48 wrote
on Sep 6, 2008 10:57 AM

What weight are you girls using ? ? ? Different pounds right ? ? ?

What the norm ? ? ?   I'm just getting started!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,290
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Sep 6, 2008 5:07 PM

Depending on the bead I use anywhere from a 4# to a 8#.  For a light weight bead I may use a 4# but if I am using heavy beads or alot of beads that will be heavy when finished I tend to use a 8#.  I definetly will use a #8 is I am using Swarovski crystals. 

I have never had my  Fireline break  when using Swarovski crytals. I have head others say that they have, but I do a RAW with 8# and have worn mine almost day and night for near a year now.  Still in one piece.

You say you are new at beading so I just want to make sure you know that Fireline is used for off loom weaving not stringing.

Hope this helps you.

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Not Ranked
Posts 21
Gayle@48 wrote
on Sep 6, 2008 7:36 PM

Your right, I don't know what off loom weaving means. . . .  I made a bracelet a couple of weeks ago and the jewelry store said use the clear line, so, not knowing what's up, I used a regurlar fish line that my husband gave me. > > >  It worked ok for weaving a few beads in and out.   Is that what off loom means ? ? ?   Thanks for the info!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,290
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Sep 6, 2008 9:06 PM

Off loom weaving is: Peyote, Brick, Square, Herringbone, Netting, RAW (right angle weave) stitches. With all of these stitches you will usually use a needle and seed beads and you make more than one pass through each bead. It look somewhat similar to loom work (woven on a loom). If you google any one of these stitches you may find examples you can look at. You may even find a tutorial on the stitches.

If you look in my photo bucket link below. Tropical dreams, Commissioned pieses, double twist, tutti fruitti , wishes of Gold and Purple love are all the type of beading I am talking about. And are good disigns to use Fireline with.

Hope this helps. If not come back and ask more questions we love to help.

Good luck.

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

wrote
on Sep 6, 2008 11:49 PM

To add to Sue's reply, there's technically nothing wrong with stringing on Fireline, but you would want to make multiple passes through your beads for extra strength.  Since that adds to the amount of work you have to do for simple stringing, it's usually easier (and stronger) to use beading wire such as Beadalon, Accuflex, or Softflex, and crimp the ends. There are some good posts about crimps and crimping if you need some help with it.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on Sep 7, 2008 6:58 AM

If the piece is going to be heavy, I have been known to string 2 lines through as I am stringing it, just for the security. If doing simple stringing and you have not finished the piece, it is no big deal to go back through and add the 2nd string if needed. I have also done that.

Just a thought!

Not Ranked
Posts 21
Gayle@48 wrote
on Sep 7, 2008 10:37 AM

Sue and Sheila,   Thanks for the advise. . . I went to Walmart to check the Fireline string out. . . The store by me didn't have fireline on sale. . . It was 13.95 for, I think 125 yeads ? ? ? Did'nt get any yet!   I did try  to get some online video help but the video took any hour and kept breaking up,   I will try google tonight. . . .  I'm really learning through asking. . . and that's great cause I don't have much luck with the only bead store that's close and available!    I could of used lots of help a year or so ago, when I was buying and buying beads cause l love to buy and create, but sometimes I really don't know what I'm doing,     Help!    

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on Sep 7, 2008 12:38 PM

I have learned by trial and error and from all of these great folks! Please ask questions. But you will probably get more answers that you thought possible for what you may think is a simple question.

Some of the "simple" questions have gotten great conversations going on this site. Please ask any question! If you have that question then someone probably else does.

That is what we are all here for...to ask, to help and to learn.

Not Ranked
Posts 21
Gayle@48 wrote
on Sep 8, 2008 6:45 PM

I haven’t strung any pearls yet, but I thought I would restring an old set I have. . . Do I use nylon/cotton/silk or polyester thread ? ?  And are those differnet thicknesses ?

I want a dripping soft look!   I think the holes are small. . . I bought a two end needle, is that the best with the thread.

This is really fun to just ask, and find out instead of buying three and seeing what works!

Thank you!

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 126
crookshanks wrote
on Sep 8, 2008 7:15 PM

There is a thead on this:

http://www.beadingdaily.com/forums/t/1644.aspx 

The topic is called "Restring Pearls"

:-)

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 113
Radiance@3 wrote
on Sep 13, 2008 12:46 PM
I couldn't get that link to work, so let me just say -- you'll want to use silk cord for restringing your pearls, and you'll want to learn how to tie neat little knots between the pearls. The cord comes with twisted-wire needles already worked onto each end, and you'll want to stretch it out before you use it -- so it won't stretch on you afterward! I understand the best way is to hang it overnight with a weight dangling from one end...
Carol
Not Ranked
Posts 5
chilanzar9 wrote
on Sep 15, 2008 8:53 AM

even 10 lb fireline works for me for 11 and 15 seed beads - I use Czech, some Japanese and some no-name beads. I imagine 6 lb will work with almost any bead.

It does tend to tangle more when I just start a new thread, but as I work with it and it gets softer, it tangles less. But the positves are way outweighing any inconvenience in my view. By the way the sporting goods store that means "Richard's" has an $8 rebate on any 2 spools of Fireline. Also, at least where I live, that same sporting goods store has more variety and even cheaper price for Fireline than W-mart.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,260
Billy Z wrote
on Sep 15, 2008 8:12 PM

ALWAYS pre-stretch silk or you will regret in ways that you can not even imagine until you do it. You may wear it  once or twice before the silk stretches and the you will have loose sections in the cord. The pearls will have uneven spaces between then and also have room to slide. Sliding pearls will cut the silk cords in almost no time. The first one that I did was like that and it cut the cord like the third time that she wore it. I pre-stretch all knotting cords now with the exception of hemp. I have a 6 oz block of lead that you melt down and make fishing weights out of(cost me like 2, maybe 3 bucks at the local fishing outfitter) with a looped wire on it. I also have a plastic clothes hanger(a buck at the Dollar Tree) thingy over the back of my bathroom door. I attatch the cord to the weight and then hang it on the hook on the hanger. I usually leave it for a full 24 hours, but most people say that 12 hours will do the trick. Good luck with it.

Billy ;o)

I yam wut I yam and dats all wut I yam. ~Popeye~

Dragonfly Jewelry Designs - ArtFire Artisan Studio

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on Nov 15, 2008 4:52 PM

Where are you buying your Fireline in Australia? Up until recently I've only used the generic nylon thread from Spotlight and Lincraft, but have started buying Fireline online from the US. Where do you get your stuff?  I long for Australian beading contacts and friends

Page 3 of 8 (120 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4 5  Next >  ... Last ยป | RSS