My Fireline Revelation

This post has 119 Replies | 6 Followers rated by 1 users
Not Ranked
Posts 17
pony600 wrote
on Jun 4, 2008 2:25 PM

I am new to beading and just tried Fireline last week. Can you tell me what it is called in the sporting goods store? Is it Fireline? Would that be in the fishing dept.?The weight I used is called "B", I think.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,307
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Jun 4, 2008 6:54 PM

Yes, it called fireline and you will find it in the fishing department. You will find the gray and the white which they call "cystal".

The wieghts of Fireline is 4,6,8,10 and 20 pound line. I have used the 4,6and 8 pound wieghts with great success. Anything heavier and you may have a very hard time going through the beads more then once.

I have only had a hard time once when I bought a cheap bead that was very rough. It cut the line like a knife. When I went back to the more expensive beads I no longer had a breaking problem. I even use Swarovski cystals with no problem and they tend to be a little sharpe at times.

Hope this helps.

Sue

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Not Ranked
Posts 23
on Jun 6, 2008 10:05 PM

I have used a lot of Fireline too, although I have just recently tried Nymo B and like it for Delicas and 15/0s.  Don't write off the green Fireline - I am using some with Japanese green beads and the colour difference between the beads where I used grey and where I used green was amazing to say the least.  The green thread made the beads look much better.

For the record, Fireline comes in a beautiful luminous pink here in Australia as well as Crystal, smoke and green.  I think it would work well with pink beads.  Last year I did a RAW class with David Chatt and he was using luminous green thread with pink beads, because he said, it made the colours "pop". 

The grey Fireline does sometimes leave a slight greyish tinge to the finger tips, but I haven't noticed any colour coming off with the other tones. 

Christine

Love those beady beads.

Chrisbeads 

My Etsy Shop

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 27
CynthiaG@26 wrote
on Jun 19, 2008 12:45 PM

I'd love to hear from those of you who have used Fireline purchased in the sporting goods store...very recently I was told by a beader that the Fireline sold for beading is NOT the same as the Fireline produced and sold for sporting. Apparently she discovered a difference in the two products after teaching a class where the attendees each made a fairly complex bracelet.  Those who used the Fireline that they purchased at Walmart reported that their bracelets broke within a couple of days after completion.  Those who had used the Fireline produced for beaders did not have this problem.

I haven't been able to find anything that definitively tells me that Fireline differs whether produced for sporting or for beading.  Does anyone else have any comment or information on this issue?

Thanks.

wrote
on Jun 20, 2008 12:07 AM

For whatever it's worth, I bought Spiderwire fishing line in 6 and 12lb test in the Wally world sporting goods dept, and it's been working great for me. It was cheaper than Fireline, as I recall.  None of the projects I've made with it have broken so far, and I've used it to string everything from crystals and bugles to steel hex nuts.  The 12lb doesn't fit through a regular beading needle, but I only use it for heavy duty beads. I either use a twisted wire needle I made myself or a big eye needle.  The 6lb can be strung on a beading needle if you flatten the end with pliers.  Sometimes if I pull it through the beads just right it kinks up and can be a PITA to work with, but most of the time I love it.  I bought it in clear, but I believe it comes in othe colors as well.

Jeni

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 27
CynthiaG@26 wrote
on Jun 20, 2008 4:45 AM

Jeni,

Thanks so much for sharing your experience with the "other" Fireline.  I think I'll visit Walmart and pick some up to try it out myself.  It is most definitely cheaper.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,307
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Jun 20, 2008 6:09 AM

I have used both and I still perfer the Fireline. I have been told and I believe it true that Fireline has a very thin strand of wire that  runs through the center of the line. I know that after  working the line for a little bit it becomes difficult to cut.

The only time that fireline  ever broke on me was when I tried to use a very cheap metal bead. I do a bracelet that is RAW with metal and swarovski cystal beads and they tend to cut alot of different lines, but my fireline withstands the abruse. I have even worn my bracelet none stop for weeks at a time even wearing it to bed. And it still is just fine.

I do suggest you try the others and get a feel for what you like. I buy my fireline at a sporting goods store. It comes on a larger spool for less money than at the bead stores which makes it affordable for me.

Sue

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 27
CynthiaG@26 wrote
on Jun 20, 2008 8:08 AM

I wrote to the company that makes the Fireline for sporting use and asked about the product marketed under the Beadsmith mark.  I received a very quick and informative reply which leads me to believe that the two are identical.  I understand that beaders first discovered the sporting goods Fireline and the parent company approached Beadsmith about supplying them with the product.

I also have an inquiry in to Beadsmith but haven't received a reply yet.  SO for all you very very clever beaders who have been using the Fireline from the sporting goods store, THANK YOU.  If the stuff is identical this is a savings of AT LEAST 50% for me in my area.

Not Ranked
Posts 23
on Jun 20, 2008 6:32 PM

Hi, I've been using Berkeley Fireline in my beading for at least 5 years.  I always buy from the sporting goods stores as it is a better deal (in fact one of our local camping chains has 25% off days and that's when I rush in to get it).  I find that 4lb line works well with Delicas and for larger beads I use 8lb and on occasion I have used it double just to be sure. 

I have had two necklaces suffer breakages and both have very sharp beads in them.  I believe any type of thread would have broken eventually as I wear those necklaces on a regular basis.  In both cases I was able to repair the damage as not very many beads were lost and I had some spares.

Here in Australia we can get Crystal, Smoke, Green and Hot Pink colours.  At first I didn't like the green, but since using it with some green beads and seeing how the colour was improved by the thread, I am a convert.  Would like to try the pink, but am waiting for the next discount sale.

Christine

Love those beady beads.

Chrisbeads 

My Etsy Shop

Not Ranked
Posts 5
chilanzar9 wrote
on Aug 20, 2008 11:15 AM

I checked a few local W-marts and all they have is 8 and 10 Lb Fireline in Smoke and Crystalline. Checked the (K)-mart as well - same thing. Noone seems to have any weights lower than 8 and 10 Lbs. Been using 10 Lbs one in Smoke - seems to work fine. I love that it does not stretch, does not need waxing and the color is so versatile.

However would like to try 6Lb. Anyone seen it in FL?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,307
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Aug 20, 2008 11:48 AM

Don't know about Fl. I buy it at 's Sporting Store when it is on sale. I have used anywhere from #4 to #10  depending on my beads. sorry but every time I try to type the name of that sporting good store it get deleted. So I wll try it this way the name of the store is a common short name for Richard.

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,307
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Aug 21, 2008 11:44 AM

Yes, the sporting store I told you about is in Fl. This may help you find a store near you. I found this locater on an e-mail they sent me. so I will copy and paste it for you to look at.

's Sporting Goods now has over 300 stores conveniently located in more than 30 states

scroll way down it is at the bottom of this post

I hopes this helps you

Jacksonville St. Johns Town Center
10390 Midtown Parkway
Jacksonville, FL 32246 

904-642-4299 
Orange Park 1910 Wells Road
Orange Park, FL 32073 

904-215-0207 
   Melbourne Region
Melbourne 1700 W. New Haven Ave.
Melbourne, FL 32904 

321-984-4012 
   Ocala Region
Ocala Now Open
4414 SW College Road
Ocala, FL 34474 

352-237-7672 
   Sarasota Region
Bradenton 4108 14th St. W.
Bradenton, FL 34205 

941-751-6900 
   Tampa Region
Brandon 901 Brandon Town Center Mall
Brandon, FL 33511 

813-684-3100 
Davenport Now Open
1300 Posner Boulevard
Davenport, FL 33837 

863-424-4444 
Tampa 8021 Citrus Park Town Center
Tampa, FL 33625 

813-920-5700 
WeslhelpdChapel

5925 Wesley Grove Blvd.
Wesley Chapel, FL 33543 

813-991-1618 

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,260
Billy Z wrote
on Aug 23, 2008 10:23 AM

The name of the store is D.i.c.k.'s. and they are a fairly large chain, especially in the south-eastern US. They put one over at the beach, but they didn't stay more than a couple or three years. The market isn't big enough for too many stores like that and there were already about 10 local ones of varying sizes.

I finally decided to try the Spiderwire at the insistance of a lady that just happened to be there doing the same. She said that she has been using it since it first came out and has yet to have one problem with it. Who can argue with a success rate like that? Certainly not me, the complete newbie to off-loom beadweaving. The smallest that Wally World had was the 8lb and it is .009" or 0.23mm. It also has a manufacture date on the label as well. I guess that is so that you don't buy anything that has been on the shelf for 20 years or anything like that.

I was playing with a few seed beads and I could get at least 4 passes through EVERY one and getting 5 through over half of the few(25-30ish) that I was using. You could get enough passes through E-beads for anything that I could possibly imagine. I stopped at 10 and there was still plenty of room for more.

On check day, I am going to order some of the delicas just to see what it is like to work with beads that are all the same size and make this killer tribal-esque cuff that I have a pattern for. It was a recent freebie from the site here, but I can not for the life of me remember what it is called. Embarrassed It has 15 different loud and obnoxious colors in it. I've still got enough Cherokee AND Deadhead in me to just have to make something like that, and wear it too. It'll give me some great practice reading peyote charts too, to be sure.

Only someone like me would pick out a 15 color cuff for the first "real" attempt at off-loom beedweaving project. Stick out tongue I guess that I am a glutton for punishment. Thankfully, I got a couple of pack of the beadalon big eyed needles at the beach on Sunday. I love the points on both ends, that makes backing up to fix a mistake a breeze. Well as long as it is just a few beads anyway. Here I am saying that it will and I have never done it. Embarrassed Well, it seems like it will anyway. I did take it through a couple backwards with no problem, but that was my only attempt at it. Big Smile

Oh well, wish me luck. I'm going to need it. Wink

Billy ;o)

I yam wut I yam and dats all wut I yam. ~Popeye~

Dragonfly Jewelry Designs - ArtFire Artisan Studio

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,260
Billy Z wrote
on Aug 23, 2008 10:29 AM

The project is called, "The Illusion" and it is by Julie Ann Smith. I apologize to Julie for forgetting, but I am old and and a Deadhead, so the rest goes without saying. Again, my apologies.

Billy ;o)

I yam wut I yam and dats all wut I yam. ~Popeye~

Dragonfly Jewelry Designs - ArtFire Artisan Studio

wrote
on Aug 23, 2008 12:05 PM

Good luck, Billy, but be warned:  you'll love Delicas and it will be hard to keep from buying more...and more...and more...not that seed beads are bad, mind you.

Page 2 of 8 (120 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4 5  Next >  ... Last ยป | RSS