My Fireline Revelation

This post has 118 Replies | 6 Followers rated by 1 users
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 113
Radiance@3 wrote
on May 29, 2008 10:35 AM
I do off-loom stitching, and I've worked with Nymo for years. I tried a Teflon filament once, and the bracelet disintegrated the first time I wore it. I tried Silamide, but couldn't get it through needles small enough for most of my beads. I tried Transite, but again, threading was a problem, and I also disliked the feel of it.

Finally, after all these years, I've gotten hold of some Fireline -- and I LOVE IT! It's strong, it's flexible, it's fine enough to go through my needles, it holds a knot, and it doesn't fray or split.

Best of all... it has made me a better beader overnight! Suddenly my work is neater and more flexible, not jammed so full of Nymo. And I approach my projects with much greater confidence now! I'd been afraid of doing spirals, for example, because they flex so much -- I thought the Nymo would fray and break too easily. But with Fireline, I've done three spiral bracelets the past couple of days, and they're strong and sturdy! Woohoo!

So far, the limited Fireline colors (grey and pale green) haven't been a problem -- the line seems to disappear, even in the pink-and-gold piece I just finished. But just in case, I wanted to ask... has anyone here tried coloring Fireline with a Sharpie permanent marker? Before or after stitching? Does the color come off on your beads or your hands? Does water affect it?

Thanks for your input!

Carol
Not Ranked
Posts 13
on May 29, 2008 2:10 PM

I haven't actually tried to color my Fireline, but did want to let you know the color "crystal" (which is basically white) is also available.  I love Fireline and never use anything else.  I've tried all the different weights and depending on the project I am working on, use the various weights.  In fact, my favorite recent discovery has just been how often I can use the 20lb. Fireline, although for that I do have to use a size 10 needle.  I can't seem to get it threaded on any smaller needles. 

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 113
Radiance@3 wrote
on May 29, 2008 5:27 PM
Thank you, Shelley! I did find the crystal Fireline online -- perfect! And thanks also for giving me confidence that I can try a heavier weight without sizing myself out of my needles. :-)
Carol
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,336
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on May 29, 2008 8:23 PM

You can also buy Fireline in the sporting department of your local sports store such as 's or the ever friendly Wal-mart store. I find it cheaper for more then buying it at the bead stores. It's the same thing but because it doesn't say "BeadSmith"  and being intended for fishing it cost much less for a larger spool. And being retired I have to watch my money. Just wanted you to know.Wink

Sue

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
SusanF@82 wrote
on May 30, 2008 8:36 AM

yes, but they don't carry the 4 and 6 lb test...only 8 lb which is heavier

Not Ranked
Posts 3
SusanF@82 wrote
on May 30, 2008 8:39 AM

I use fireline too but how do you finish these spirals neatly.   Haven't figured out that part of the project and havae several waitingfor an answer.  Thanks

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,336
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on May 30, 2008 9:11 AM

My Wal-mart carries the #6 and #8 and the sporting goods store here also carries the #4 and #6 as well as the higher weights. I tried to tell you the name of the sporting goods store but it was blocked out. So you will have to expore you large chain sporting goods stores in your area to see which ones carry it. Wink

Hope this helps.

Sue

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,336
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on May 30, 2008 9:29 AM

Susan,

I also use fireline for my spirals. So I will try to help. I know there are several different ways to do this but this is what works for me.

What I do is I tie off the ending thread by going back in through the the last set of spiralling beads to a core bead  and do a half hitch now go down a couple of more core beads and do a full hitch knot trim your thread. (you can do several half hitches if yo want before the full hitch.)

Then to tie on I go a short ways from where you just ended beading and tie on a new thread with a half hitch knot between 2 core beads now go up a couple more core beads and tie again.and do this a couple of times going toward the end of your work and when you get to where you ended just start beading again.

Hope you understand my ramblelings.

Sue

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
on May 30, 2008 2:09 PM

Thanks for all the great information girls! I've been wanting to get Fireline for stringing my polymer clay beads but wasn't sure which pound test to get and how to tie it. Now I know, Thanks!

Bead Making Tips and Pics for Beginners
By Cindy Lietz at http://www.polymerclaytutor.com
"I learned by making mistakes... Now you don't have to."

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 113
Radiance@3 wrote
on May 30, 2008 9:32 PM
SusanF -- Are you referring to the tendency of the spiralling loops to sway and swing around each other? Of the four spirals I've done so far, I've found just one of them looked good to me with the loops hanging free... on the others, I added connecting strands that run between the loops (one at the top and one at the bottom of the larger bead in the center of each loop), which locked the loops in place and stiffened the whole piece. (I assume that's something other beaders do -- I just "invented" it on the spur of the moment to organize what had turned out to be a very messy-looking spiral.) One of these "locked" spirals turned out slim and snaky, and two turned out very dimensional, with big semi-rigid spiral "staircases" standing out from the central core. I love it that you can't really tell when you start a spiral exactly how it's going to look -- what fun! =D The loose, "unlocked" spiral seems to naturally settle its loops in a graceful way when I put it on...the back flattens against my wrist, and that lifts the loops forward just the right amount. Pure luck -- I hope I can figure out how to duplicate it!
Carol
Not Ranked
Posts 1
CarolC@100 wrote
on May 30, 2008 10:38 PM

I don't do much bead weaving - I really like stringing and wire work - but a close friend of mine does a lot of it, and we've talked at length about Fireline. I started by taking a class to learn even-count peyote stitch, and showed it to her. She said, "Oh, I could never do that." Well that was my personal challenge, and when she finally tried, she took to it like a fish to water and has made some stunning pieces and is always coming up with new designs.  We learned on Nymo, but one try with Fireline, and we were hooked. The crystal color has a little different texture, but behaves pretty much like the grey. She did a couple of pieces with both, and the difference in the finished product was amazingly brighter with the crystal.  Not crazy about the green.  Gave it to Hubby for fishing.  Smile  As to size, we started with 4 lb test, then went to six. That's about when I got going with wire and 'abandoned' weaving. She, on the other hand, has tried 8, which she used for quite a while, until she tried 10. That's pretty much where she's stayed. She hasn't had anything she's made with 10 come apart or break. She tried 12, but it was harder to use, wouldn't go through the beads as many times, and she didn't really see any advantage, so she's pretty much settled on 10. I should say, also, she really 'yanks' on the thread. She's pulled so hard on 4 lb test and once on 6 lb test that it broke while she was working with it, but her finished pieces really have good structure and are still supple. Someone mentioned spirals. I thought mine were too loose, and ended up going end to end through each row of outside beads up through one row and down the next, then when I got to the end, went back up the opposite way through each row of beads. It anchors them to each other, like when I used to put huge bobby pins between 2 hair rollers on my head to anchor them to each other.  LOL  Now I'm really dating myself.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 113
Radiance@3 wrote
on Jun 1, 2008 7:57 AM
Wow! She BROKE 6 lb Fireline? And I thought I was a big yanker! =D And your bobby-pin-and-hair-roller explanation of the reinforcing path is precisely what I was trying to say -- well put!
Carol
Not Ranked
Posts 8
Dragonstar wrote
on Jun 1, 2008 8:45 AM

Wow is right how does she not break the beads or cut her hands yanking that hard? I use size 11 and 15 in my work mostly. Should I purchase the 4 pound or 6 pound test fireline? I must admit this line of chat has finally sold me on trying it. Until now I have had little luck with fishing line products. I do like Kevlar for some of my projects though. Thanks for the help and info. 

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 113
Radiance@3 wrote
on Jun 1, 2008 8:28 PM
I've only used the 6 lb so far, and it seems to do fine for both 11s and 15s. I should say, though, that I've only used it with top-quality Japanese seed beads, which seem to have larger and more consistent holes than the rest... I've just given up trying to use any other kind of seed beads. My blood pressure can't take it! =D
Carol
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Monkeybuns wrote
on Jun 2, 2008 6:00 AM

I recently tried Fireline too.  I like it except it doesn't work the best with my favorite beading needles so I had to buy new ones for when I work with Firleline.  I'm glad you found it too!

http://monkeybuns.etsy.com

Please visit http://monkeybuns.etsy.com for hand made jewelry.

Page 1 of 8 (119 items) 1 2 3 4 5  Next >  ... Last ยป | RSS