The best alternatives to Fireline

This post has 59 Replies | 7 Followers
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 456
lostaloha wrote
on Oct 22, 2010 5:14 PM

Honestly, I've used both Fireline and the beadalon kind (I forget what it's called)

And long story short, both hurt my hands.  I use Nymo, and have spools upon spools of colors and sizes, but I also use either Thread Heaven or natural Beeswax on it, and always spray my finished products with Shelac.. soo.. but I'm just a little weakling, and really haven't seen the joy and fuss people make of Fireline. (it's too stiff for my projects)

From the Oregon Coast to Tacoma.

etsy :: blog :: flickr

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 42
on Oct 23, 2010 4:43 AM

SoNo, KO and OneG are very similar. KO is the improved version of SoNo developed for the American market. After its launch, Toho created OneG, which has the same features of KO.

I tested Nymo and I was disappointed with it (the final result of the jewelry is good, but it tends to fray terribly, even if it's conditioned. Its quality is proportionate to the price...), and I assumed that I could resolve this problem with using a braided thread. That's why I've never tried the other types of monofilament threads. Fireline is fantastic and now I want to test the other types of braided nylon threads. Anyway thank you so much for all your advices. I really appreciate your participations.

The Garden of

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,290
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Oct 23, 2010 8:18 AM

The poor quality of nymo, and others like it,  is the reason I stopped using it. I had made several things with it, only to have them fall apart after a short period of time. The thread wasn't coming undone, it was just breaking from lack of strength. After having several pieces fall apart on customers I started using Fireline exclusively. I redid those pieces at no charge to the customer, because I wanted to let the customers know that I realized that the thread was a problem and I would stand behind my product and redo the whole thing in Fireline. Since I started using Fireline I have not had this problem. I figured my time invested the first time was worth more than the cheap thread. Yes, Fireline is a little costly, but well worth its weight in gold if it doesn't break and cause me problem with my customers.

I have tested my designs that I make with Fireline before I make another for sale. I test them by wearing them 24/7 yes, that means I never take it off and I wear if for several months. Because most people will not wear their pieces for 24/7 I am sure that with "normal" wear they will last and not break. I can't do that with nymo it will break within a very short period of time with that type of abuse.

I have to be honest and also say  that I haven't tested the new Wildfire, but when you are happy with a product, I don't see a need for change. In other words, if it isn't broken, don't fix it.

JMHO so take it for what it is worth.

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 90
TreasureW wrote
on Oct 25, 2010 11:30 AM

Yes Fireline does hurt the hands (unless you're like me with work-hardened hands), and gripping it to pull it tight will seem to cut in, but it's honestly worth it in my opinion. But on another fireline thread, there is a useful tip of using a leather finger cover to avoid that. I haven't had to use it, but some have and have found it helps.

I won't go back to Nymo, I find it's just not strong enough, but KO is marginally better as an alternative if you want the flexibility, that fireline perhaps wouldn't give on some designs.

Teresa

Norwich, UK

Not Ranked
Posts 19
2ndtry wrote
on Oct 25, 2010 12:50 PM

I have a pattern for a bangle that i tried to make with fireline, I could not get it to come out correctly..  When i asked the designer for help she said i had to use nymo, that fireline was too stiff and it would never work.  after reading the poor reviews of nymo, i hesitate to make it up in that.  a bangle is going to wear hard just from it's nature.  what would you more experienced beaders use to make up this design? 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,828
KipperCat wrote
on Oct 25, 2010 1:33 PM

The best beadthread I've found is One G.  I just wish it came in more colors.  It's probably not as strong as FireLine, but is stronger than Nymo, and very fray-resistant.  I find it a joy to work with.

Btw, I used to wonder why everyone said the Smoke colored FireLine was ideal to use with nearly everything.  My smoke FireLine (a 14lb. strength) was clearly black.  Then I finally got some 6lb. smoke FireLine, and see what you mean!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 27
pearlgirl64 wrote
on Oct 25, 2010 2:00 PM

I’m one of those who actually use Wildfire Wink I am not an experienced beader and have not tried Fireline but FWIW, I started beading using Nymo and agree with Sue – everything I made either fell apart or felt like it was going to Crying And I don’t know how many times I frayed the thread even before finishing the project while passing through the same bead several times. Then I got Wildfire because that’s what my small Italian border town LBS has Smile

Simply changed my life, guys.

While I agree that Wildfire does not have the drape Nymo does, this has not been a problem with the projects I do. And what do I care about drape if it’s gonna fall apart in a couple of weeks?! On this subject, I do want to add that my LBS owner, who is an experienced beader, prefers Wildfire to Fireline as she says it has the softer drape.

Sandra, Liguria, Italy

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,828
KipperCat wrote
on Oct 25, 2010 2:09 PM

I suspect that the best thread for an individual beader may well depend on just how we bead.  Lots of really great beaders swear by Nymo, even though most of us swear at it.  Diane Fitzgerald comes to mind.  I'll be thrilled if I can ever do half of the things she does!

I've read that if conditioned with wax AND heat Nymo works much better, but I've never tried the heat.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
silasozzie wrote
on Oct 27, 2010 10:03 AM

Hello, Where are u buying ur fireline? I used to buy mine through beading websites and shops. Then I saw it in the fishing section of Big W (which I think is like walmart in US) ie a discount store ( not a cheap $1 store). I bought 250 yrds of 6 lb for LESS than I had been buying 50 yrds before. AND they have specials. I thinkl it was about 12 bucks. Hope this helps.

Oh, and I have only used fireline. Sometimes the stiffness annoys me and the lack of colours, but I have yet to get around to using the nymo in my stash. At least when I make something for someone else, I know it's going to hold up.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 90
TreasureW wrote
on Oct 27, 2010 10:58 AM

I'm constantly shopping around for my fireline. I have an ebay supplier, who will do 50 yards of Beadalon Fireline 4, 6 and 8lb crystal for around £5, (don't ask me what that is in dollars), if I'm in a hurry, I know he'll deliver next day, but recently found 125 yards smoke 6lb for £10 including postage. I have also used my local fishing shop but he doesn't always have it in. In fact he's getting annoyed that 'wimmin keep buying it and leaving none for anglers!!!'  Shame eh?Big Smile

I think it's marginally cheaper from fishing shops without the Beadalon brand on it, and it's the same stuff....

Teresa

Norwich, UK

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 27
pearlgirl64 wrote
on Oct 27, 2010 2:20 PM

Teresa,
If I may be so bold... which ebay supplier do you use? The prices you mention are half of what the best Italian ebay prices are Surprise

Sandra, Liguria, Italy

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 90
TreasureW wrote
on Oct 27, 2010 4:01 PM

Of course, his name is Sanctuary Beads, and his Fireline is just £5.95 for 50 yards,  and the fishing shop is called Devon Angling Centre, who had the 125 yards for £8 + £2 postage, but this is the first order I've had from him, and he hasn't marked the order as despatched yet.

Teresa

Norwich, UK

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 27
pearlgirl64 wrote
on Oct 28, 2010 9:24 AM

Thanks Teresa! Big Smile

Sandra, Liguria, Italy

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,290
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Oct 28, 2010 9:50 AM

LOL I think I would have to tell him to just order more just in case the men hear about how wonderful it is. Otherwise I would think he would be overjoyed to sell it to anyone that wants it.  Besides, what makes him think us 'wimmin aren't fishing with it. I fish, but I leave the good stuff for beading, the fish don't look to see if the line on the end of that warm, if its a good line. I use the good stuff where it is most appreciated;  in my beading. <giggle giggle>

Wink

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 42
on Oct 28, 2010 11:44 AM

...when you are happy with a product, I don't see a need for change. In other words, if it isn't broken, don't fix it.

Sue,

as a general rule, I agree with you. But, as I wrote in one of my previous posts, sometimes you may find out products different from the best known ones but equally good.

...KO is marginally better as an alternative if you want the flexibility, that fireline perhaps wouldn't give on some designs.

Teresa,

you're right, Fireline is too stiff for some projects. I was wondering if a different size (maybe 4 lb)  would give more softness to the piece. I have to check this in other threads on this forum... and with my personal experience.

...  Lots of really great beaders swear by Nymo, even though most of us swear at it.  Diane Fitzgerald comes to mind...I've read that if conditioned with wax AND heat Nymo works much better, but I've never tried the heat

KipperCat,

if I'm not wrong, I read that the thread DF uses is a little thicker and more resistant than the Nymo sold in bobbins, even if it's the same size. 

And how should Nymo be heated?

The Garden of

Page 2 of 4 (60 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4  Next > | RSS