Wire crochet

This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower rated by 2 users
Not Ranked
Posts 17
sameyers wrote
on May 26, 2008 7:44 AM

I have recently started making necklaces by crocheting the wire and adding beads.  Are there any other wire crocheters out there?  What weight wire do you use?

God bless,

Susan

Tell me how many beads there are
In a silver chain
Of evening rain,
Unravelled from the tumbling main...
~Thomas Lovell Beddoes

Not Ranked
Posts 3
LolaB@3 wrote
on May 26, 2008 7:31 PM

Hi Susan ~  I love wire crochet and enjoy working with 28 gauge wire the most.  I've tried 30 (too flimsy for me) and 26 (just a bit too hard on my hands) gauges, but find that for me, 28 is the best.  I primarily make bracelets, although lately I've started to play around with making pendants and earrings.  The bead/crochet possibilities are endless . . . if only I had more time!  ~ Lola

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 62
on May 26, 2008 7:35 PM

I've done a few as well.  The one choker I made using a very small hook I think I did with 28 or 30g.  I've also tried a few spool knittngs with wire, I think with a 26 or 28g.  I'd like to do more, but I've been concentrating my efforts elsewhere recently. 

"Whether you think you can, or think you can't, either way-you are right."  --Henry Ford

www.SquareEffects.com
www.SquareEffects.etsy.com
www.Cafepress.com/SquareEffects

www.icraft.ca/squareeffects

Not Ranked
Posts 17
sameyers wrote
on May 27, 2008 1:06 PM

Time... sigh, never enough is there.  You are the second person to suggeest 28g, so I think I'm going to try it.  I've been working with 30 and 32 and love it, but I'm concerned about it holding up over time.

God bless,

Susan

In a silver chain
Of evening rain,
~Thomas Lovell Beddoes

Not Ranked
Posts 17
sameyers wrote
on May 27, 2008 1:06 PM

Hi, I'm not sure what spool knittings are.  Is that a stitch?

God bless,

Susan

In a silver chain
Of evening rain,
~Thomas Lovell Beddoes

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 105
elizabeth@83 wrote
on May 27, 2008 6:31 PM

Hi,

For me, it depends on the type of beads I am going to use, and the size I want the finished piece to be.

For chunky necklaces with either medium-large glass beads or wooden beads I use 26 gauge.

For a necklace with seed beads or pearl beads I use 28 gauge.

I also use 28 gauge for all my bracelets, even with the different types of beads, because a bracelet with thick wire and huge beads can look a bit out of control!

Happy beading!

Elizabeth

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 34
Pam wrote
on May 27, 2008 8:53 PM

Is spool knitting similar to  'knitting Nancy' knitting or is it the spool you use when making Viking weave?

NB:' Knitting nancy' the work is on the inside of the spool

Viking weave knit the work is on the outside of the spool

Just let me be...ad  happy.

Not Ranked
Posts 17
sameyers wrote
on May 28, 2008 8:08 AM

Elizabeth,

Do you have any pictures of your jewelry?

God bless,

Susan

In a silver chain
Of evening rain,
~Thomas Lovell Beddoes

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 62
on May 30, 2008 4:37 PM

spool knitting...I was referring to the knitting spool with the 3, 4, or 5 pins sticking up that you wrap the wire around, so the work feeds down through the inside, to the middle and comes out the bottom.   

These little darlings.

I've done it accented with beads before, which looks really cool, the long metal 'braid' and all these little beads scattered here and there.  The only trick is you need to add the beads before you start working, and drop them down one at a time, when you're ready to put one in the work.

I would VERY much love to try Viking knitting with wire, but the only instructions I found seemed confusing.

"Whether you think you can, or think you can't, either way-you are right."  --Henry Ford

www.SquareEffects.com
www.SquareEffects.etsy.com
www.Cafepress.com/SquareEffects

www.icraft.ca/squareeffects

Not Ranked
Posts 17
sameyers wrote
on May 31, 2008 12:00 PM

Thank you so much for explaining.  Also for including the picture.

God bless,

Susan

In a silver chain
Of evening rain,
~Thomas Lovell Beddoes

wrote
on Aug 6, 2008 11:00 AM

Hi,

Is there any way of showing me how to crochet with wire?

Karen

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 33
juline wrote
on Aug 13, 2008 11:46 AM

Hi Karen,

I've done several necklaces with thin wire, but I also use ordinary fishing line.

I first string the beads onto the wire / fishing line and then start to crochet. You will get different effects with different gauge fishing line - thin fishing line will straighten with the weight of the beads, thicker fishing line will form waves. Thin wire also form waves if you don't pull it, but remember this will be very delicate. The number of chain stitches between beads will also have a different effect, whether the necklace will be straight or with waves - I quite like the waves effect.

Hope this helped.

Juline

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS