Connecting a Pendant to a Multistrand Necklace

This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 69
on Sep 15, 2010 5:04 PM

I'm working on an eight stranded necklace, where the strands will be intertwined, and a wavy brecciated jasper donut will be hanging from them in the center. I'm having difficulty in figuring out how to connect the donut. It is 55 mm in diameter, and the hole in the middle is 12 mm. I was considering attaching it by stringing seed beads through the hole of the donut and up around the strands of the necklace and back around, connecting in a circle, but I worry this won't be strong enough, and that the donut might damage the beads that go through its center. What other ways are there to connect a pendant to a multistrand necklace?

Melissa

Beaded Relics

Boston, Massachusetts, USA

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 815
LisaKwaj wrote
on Sep 15, 2010 7:20 PM

Melissa, actually the strand of seed beads was the first technique that popped into my head.  If you're worried that it won't be strong enough, be sure to make the loop of seed beads using beading wire instead of thread.  You can also double or triple the strand, so that it's shaped sortof like a coil that connects to itself, for strength.

You could use some wire and make a decorative bail.  I'm reading "Making Connections" by Susan Lenart Kazmer right now, and she suggests several methods that would work well.  Her "standard wrap" might be something to consider.  Take a length of wire and place it through the hole in the middle of the donut.  Now orient the donut as it would hang on the necklace.  Bend both ends of the wire straight up.  Just above the top edge of the donut, bend each wire toward the other, and make a wrapped loop.  If you want a bit more movement, leave a bit of space between the wire and the donut.  You can do all sorts of decorative things with the ends of the wires using this techniques -- coils, squiggles, attach a charm, etc.  Lots of room for creativity here.

Do you enjoy beadweaving?  I've made a donut bail with a narrow strip of herringbone before, say 4 beads wide.  Adjust the number of beads wide and the size of the beads to be appropriate for your size donut.  Basically you're aiming for a ribbon of beadwork, and you connect the end to the beginning to make the bail.  Same technique would work with most any other weave -- peyote, netting, raw, etc.  Lots of opportunities for embellishment here, too.

Does that help get those creative juices flowing?  I'd love to see a pic of the finished piece!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,276
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Sep 16, 2010 6:01 PM

here is one I did doing a peyote stitch. You could make the bail to go all around all your bead strands. or maybe a twisted  bail like I did in the second picturer.

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 410
KristieJ3 wrote
on Sep 17, 2010 2:54 AM

I just had a similer problem! I'm not very adapt at weaving and I have tried to make my own bail out of wire I'm just not that good yet, lol!

I went online and bought a sterling silver bail for around $3 and attached it with a jump ring. Most sites carry a ton and it was fun picking one out!
If you do buy one make sure it will fit your donut ~ I learnt that the hard way and had to buy 2, lol

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 817
JanineB@7 wrote
on Sep 17, 2010 3:29 PM

All of the suggestions you have been given are great and would work fine for you.

If I have a large focal pendant I sometimes use a large toggle clasp and hang the pendant from that....It looks pretty neat with the clasp in the front instead of the back of the necklace.

Good luck and I hope you post pics when it is finished.

Janine

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,471
ForumModerator
JSmaz wrote
on Sep 18, 2010 2:02 PM

You can also buy bails specifically for donut pendants, but I think if you use a couple of loops of seed beads and reinforce them it should be just fine if that's the look you want.

Jeni

Oklahoma City

ArtFire Studio & blog  |  Gallery 

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS