What gauge of wire to use?

This post has 14 Replies | 4 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Jacqueline40 wrote
on Sep 14, 2010 11:52 AM

I am making a square wire bracelet, but I am not sure what gauge to wire to use.

Do you have any suggestions?

Jacqueline

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,624
Cat_P wrote
on Sep 14, 2010 12:08 PM

It really depends on what kind of bracelet you are making. Do you happen to have a picture or could you explain further?

A bangle type bracelet would need pretty heavy gauge wire, but a bracelet with several pieces of wire would use a medium gauge. So I can't really help unless you explain further exactly what your plans are for the bracelet.

Cat     Blog  Artfire  Etsy

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Jacqueline40 wrote
on Sep 14, 2010 12:14 PM

Here is a picture of it.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,260
Billy Z wrote
on Sep 14, 2010 12:45 PM

The big ones on the outside look like about 20-21 awg square to me, an the inner ones about 24 awg square. The wraps appear to be about 22 awg half-round. Keep in mind that you mcan substitute materials depending on what you have on hand, ya know. Like the center wires with the beads, you caan substitute round wire there for a different effect. The same with the half-round wraps, you can use full-round or square wire for those and it give a totaly different look to it. Exchange the metal beads for some nice glass, crystal, or natural gemstones for a dramatic change in appearance. You can even change the wire gauges to change the look. Bigger wire will make a thicker, and wider bracelet like for a guy, ya know. Smaller gauges will make it daintier like for a little girl or something. Good luck making it. That's a great little project.

Billy ;o)

I yam wut I yam and dats all wut I yam. ~Popeye~

Dragonfly Jewelry Designs - ArtFire Artisan Studio

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Jacqueline40 wrote
on Sep 14, 2010 1:18 PM

Billy Z,

Do you purchase your wire online?  If so, can you please recommend where I should purchase my wire?

Not Ranked
Posts 14
on Sep 14, 2010 3:16 PM

I have gotten good deals at www.Monsterslayer.com, they have various sizes and types of wire.

I have seen this pattern of bracelet before.  Let me see if I can find it for you.  Sorry I couldn't find the pattern.  But, the name is Checkerboard Bracelet.

Have a great day!

Gail

New Pictorial Tutorials: http://www.customgembeadboardsandmore.com

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 868
MysticP wrote
on Sep 14, 2010 4:27 PM

For wire, I like www.wire-sculpture.com for their variety. They have wire in base metal and precious metal, and all the shapes. There are also some neat little tutorials on their site. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,260
Billy Z wrote
on Sep 15, 2010 7:18 AM

We get our wire from Rio Grande. Their prices are competative and they give you spot(from "on the spot" pricing or what it is selling for on that particular day or sometimes even the time of said day) price store credit for all of your returned scraps. I've never seen anyone do that before. Granted it is only store credit, but it still spot price. That is basically an even trade on any new wire of the same kind you buy, ya know. Most  places give you scrap price(and still only store credit, and some don't even take scrap back) for any returns, which is roughly one third to on half of spot. Pam just told me that Indian Jeweler's Supply will give you the same deal. So those are two good ones to order from.

Billy ;o)

I yam wut I yam and dats all wut I yam. ~Popeye~

Dragonfly Jewelry Designs - ArtFire Artisan Studio

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 90
megm3271 wrote
on Nov 7, 2010 6:17 PM

Hi Jacqueline40,

I do a lot of wire work and find that 18-20 Gauge is sufficient for the outside wire while 20-21 gauge is better on the inside.I prefer an 18 gauge 1/2 round for the wraps.

I agree with Billy in saying switch up from square to round for a new affect - you could even get an inexpensive pin-vise and twist a few for good measure! It add's a pretty "diamond" affect to the wire. You could also coil some 1" or 2" units and add them onto a base wire for a cool look as well.

I actually prefer using really heavy gauge wire in bracelets - like 12-14 gauge - dead soft of course - but that's just me.

Have fun with it - a good on-line resoure for copper and brass practice wire is www.brandywinejewelrysupply.com; and I also purchase S/S and GF wire from Rio Grande because as Billy also pointed out - they collect scraps - one gal's scraps is another gal's refined metal!

Best Regards ~ Meg Markovic

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 780
labup wrote
on Mar 14, 2011 9:07 AM

Sometimes you can find wire directly from wire making companies.   Usually you will have to buy quite a bit but it is worth it in the long run.  A couple of years ago I bought 100 feet of dead soft, sterling silver wire from a wire company for $190.00.  That seemed like an outrageous amount of money to spend on silver wire at the time.  It was the best price per foot I could find at the time though.  I still have several feet of this wire left and with silver jumping in price like it did, it was well worth the investment.  

I also found a place that had better prices than anywhere I could find online for Agentium Silver.  It is http://www.argentiumsilverfindings.com/

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 785
Tia Dalma wrote
on Dec 28, 2011 2:07 PM

Saavi this thread has not been active since March and was originally started over a year ago, so some links just might not work any longer.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,145
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on Sep 9, 2012 5:05 PM

Thanks a Million. I had this all written down once upon a time.  I am putting it on my bulletin Board so I don't misplace it.

Gyspy Mary

Blessed are those who can Give, without remembering

and Take with out Forgetting

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on Jan 22, 2013 2:27 AM
Thanks for sharing. I got information.
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 32
Summer152 wrote
on Apr 13, 2013 1:41 AM

I usually use 20g

Not Ranked
Posts 2
amcordesign wrote
on Sep 24, 2013 5:46 AM

Hello david, i am always use 18g heavy wire in my diamond jewelry items to heavier look.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS