Posts 388
wmweeza wrote
on Sep 4, 2010 7:05 PM

Thank you KipperCat!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 388
wmweeza wrote
on Sep 4, 2010 9:01 PM

I tried to make a bracelet using this method, the fireline snapped at the little crimp bead clasp

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 388
wmweeza wrote
on Sep 4, 2010 9:32 PM

Oh and I saw this exact pattern at a 4th of July craft fair but refused to pay $15 for the bracelet to see how it was made...lol

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 203
lsmoore wrote
on Sep 5, 2010 4:37 PM

Liz,

Totally love the idea of the using the wire guardians. I think it finishes them off very nicely. I know what you mean about the "insurance" part of it. When I first started weaving, and my instructor was telling me to tie about 5 or 6 half hitches thruout the piece, I kept thinking "she's crazy, that is so much overkill". Now of course, I realize it's just good insurance! :) Great job on the earrings!

Shirley

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 909
Cindy Daniel wrote
on Sep 5, 2010 8:19 PM

Those are gorgeous!!! to attach a jump ring to beadwork, I like to sew a size 6° bead to the end of the beadwork; it will take a jump ring made from 20 gauge wire or smaller.

Find my tutorials at: JewelryTales.com

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,825
KipperCat wrote
on Sep 5, 2010 9:15 PM

Thank you both. :)  Shirley, I may not purchase much insurance with $$, but I sure do with my stitching! 

Cindy, I'll try to remember about the 6° bead.  I think you mentioned that once before, which is why I thought there was a method I was forgetting.   I don't always have a sz 6 bead to match or coordinate, but I often do.  Maybe I should add an assortment of 6° beads to my trade request!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 815
LisaKwaj wrote
on Sep 7, 2010 12:02 AM

Liz, what gorgeous earrings!  I have often made bracelets and necklaces using the "wind seed beads around it" technique, but for some reason never thought to try earrings -- yours are so pretty!  I know the lady you made them for will love them!

Don't you just love wire guardians?  They're such a great way to protect thread and beading wire, and give your jewelry a nice polished look.  Thank you, Sherri, for turning me on to them!  Liz, have you ever just used a little ring or loop of small seed beads to attach your earwire?  Coming out of the top of the top crystal in an earring, you would pick up about 3 11/0 or 15/0 seed beads, the loop of the eawire, and about 3 more seed beads.  Then sew back down into the top crystal.  If your seed beads are small enough that they fit entirely inside of the earwire's loop, pick up an odd number of seed beads and your earwire, then sew down into the top crystal.  When seed beads will fit through a finding, using an odd number of seed beads helps protect your thread.

I'm a big fan of reinforcing my beadwork, but the decision to do that depends on the weight of the piece, how sharp the bead holes are, how stiff I want the beadwork to be, how much wear and tear I expect the finished piece to get, and how much room I've got left inside the bead holes.  I always, always reinforce stress points (like the loop of seed beads connecting to an earwire or clasp).  And I almost always reinforce beadwork woven with crystals.  I can't tell you how many times I've been glad I've done that!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 927
on Sep 7, 2010 7:57 AM

These are gorgeous! I had to take the time just to make sure they were not made on a 'head pin'! I love how you added the silver horse shoe, as you called it, to hide the FL. Another simple suggestion is to just loop inside of a 'closed' jump ring'. This will allow it to be hung on the ear wire and look more like it was created on a head pin!

Sorry you had some mishaps with the thread showing and wrong color bead too. But the best part is that you noticed and are enough to point these out as 'wrongs'....great pair of earrings!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 388
wmweeza wrote
on Sep 22, 2010 4:34 PM

So I made a bracelet using this, one small problem: The spiral seed bead part keeps flipping sides! Is it because I used a larger bead in between pearls perhaps? Does it need a small seed bead to hold it in place?

I tried it with seed beads on one side and both sides, same result, the seed bead wrap always flips to one side, not 100% of the bracelet, but like 70% of the time. Howdo I make the exterior loops stay on the sides of the pearl? Thanks in advance

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,877
MelindaB@14 wrote
on Sep 22, 2010 4:42 PM

They are beautiful... thank you for sharing the directions with usCool

MelindaB ~ Juneau, Alaska USA

When you dream ... what are you wearing?

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about Learning to Dance in the rain!

Authors UNKNOWNEmbarrassed

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,825
KipperCat wrote
on Sep 23, 2010 11:05 AM

Hmmn...  How snug are your loops?  Do they keep their shape when they flop, or are some of the curves a slightly different angle than the others? - i.e. more of a V shape, and less round?  This design probably needs good, snug tension. Is it possible you're using too many or too few seed beads for the side loops?  That will vary based on the size of your center beads. 

If you can snap a picture, maybe some of us can help you figure it out. As many times as I've seen bracelets like this, I've never made one.

wmweeza:

So I made a bracelet using this, one small problem: The spiral seed bead part keeps flipping sides! Is it because I used a larger bead in between pearls perhaps? Does it need a small seed bead to hold it in place?

I tried it with seed beads on one side and both sides, same result, the seed bead wrap always flips to one side, not 100% of the bracelet, but like 70% of the time. Howdo I make the exterior loops stay on the sides of the pearl? Thanks in advance

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 211
BeadingCat wrote
on Sep 23, 2010 11:15 AM

Your earings are stunning. I love them.

Sincerely

Gabie

sincerely Gabie / Munich Germany

A sunbeam is like a little smile, you ever can't get enough of both

http://perlenkatzes-schmuckblog.blogspot.com/

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 388
wmweeza wrote
on Sep 26, 2010 3:17 PM

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,825
KipperCat wrote
on Sep 26, 2010 4:50 PM

Thank you Gabie, Erin and Lisa. :)

wmweeza, the problem might be that sometimes you used 7 white seed beads, but usually 8.  As far as I can see, you've used 7 for the first two pearls on each end, and again on the 6th pearl from the left.  Is the tension in the work real strong?  If not, it might help to correctly position the swirls, then run through the seed beads again a time or 2.

That's all I can think of.  If nobody else chimes in, you might try posting your question and picture in the "How Do I" section.  It's a pretty bracelet.

edited to fix typo

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Pat Arnell wrote
on Sep 24, 2012 3:01 PM

you could use gold coloured french wire to hide and protect your fireline thread

Page 2 of 3 (34 items) < Previous  1 2 3  Next > | RSS