beadwoven earrings, with oops & questions

This post has 33 Replies | 5 Followers
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,830
KipperCat wrote
on Sep 2, 2010 9:16 PM

I had fun with these.  The drops are 2-1/4" long, from swark & gold-plated seed beads. The colors are  washed-out in the photo.  They are for a woman who is a jazz/blues singer & a worship leader at her church. She wanted earrings that were elegant and flashy, in a pretty blue with gold metal.  I think she'll love them.

As for the oops - take a look at the 3rd crystal on the left earring.  See that piece of FireLine? That happened when weaving in the end of the thread.  I might have been able to fix that, but there's another mistake that I can't fix.  When I pulled the gold beads from a metal mix, I got one copper bead in there as well.  I didn't even notice until I took the picture.  Fortunately it's the left earring also.

I used the little horseshoe shaped findings (that I can't remember the name of) to attach a jump ring.  I was afraid the white FireLine would show up too much if I just stitched on a jump ring.  Is there another method I could have used to connect the beadwoven part to the earwire?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,471
ForumModerator
JSmaz wrote
on Sep 3, 2010 1:23 AM

Those are great-love the look. 

Bummer about the thread showing-that happened to me on the crystal bracelet I posted a couple weeks ago but thankfully there's so much sparkle I'm probably the only one who will ever notice.  If you know where to look it's glaringly obvious though.  By the time I saw it it was way too late to try and fix it.

Honestly in your main pic I can't even tell where the off-color seed bead is, and I think they look fine using the wire guardians.  That's not a bad idea actually.

Jeni

Oklahoma City

ArtFire Studio & blog  |  Gallery 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,830
KipperCat wrote
on Sep 3, 2010 4:33 AM

Jeni, I'll take another look at the earrings in daylight.  I forgot to ask my other question on these.  They were stitched with 6 lb Fireline.  Before I finished off the thread, I totally restitched the earrings to reinforce them.  Is this necessary?  I tend to err on the side of caution where the durability of a piece in concerned. I'm beginning to realize how much time all of this "failiure insurance" takes.  I need to learn what's necessary and what's merely redundant.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 478
Calico3 wrote
on Sep 3, 2010 5:12 AM

KipperCat:
When I pulled the gold beads from a metal mix, I got one copper bead in there as well.  I didn't even notice until I took the picture. 

Do you by any chance have a gold leafing pen? If so, paint a spare seed bead with it to see if it's the same shade of gold. If it is, just apply to that copper bead.

By the way, I really love these. I would have never thought to use wire guardians in this way, but it really works.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,471
ForumModerator
JSmaz wrote
on Sep 3, 2010 6:45 AM

Even if it takes a few extra minutes, reinforcing them is probably not a bad idea.  For earrings you probably don't need to go over them until they're completely stiff (unless you want them that way), but at least a double round is worth the effort for peace of mind.  It's one thing if they're for you and you know how you'll treat them, but you never know what someone else will do with them.

Jeni

Oklahoma City

ArtFire Studio & blog  |  Gallery 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 798
brightcircle wrote
on Sep 3, 2010 7:11 AM

Usually earrings wouldn't need Fireline reinforcement, but since they're heavy crystals with abrasive holes, reinforcing the thread, even Fireline, is a good idea. Especially since the customer is a worship leader who may be moving around a lot as she wears them, making her earrings a higher-stress position than earrings normally are.

Handmade jewelry, beaded beads and more available at my NEW location, bonanza.com/booths/BrightCircle

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 388
wmweeza wrote
on Sep 3, 2010 10:41 PM

*butting in*

What kind of weave is that and do you know where I can learn it? I saw a bracelet like those earrings and wanted to make it, or try to. Thanks, if you don't have any link, that's okay

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,143
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on Sep 3, 2010 10:53 PM

These are Awesome! I love the style.(looks alot like one of my two sidewinder patterns) The Guardians(horseshoes) look great!

I sometimes use Crimps tubes to attach the jump rings to hide the fireline.(as I haven't seen the Guardians(horseshoes) in gunmetal or copper. )

Gyspy Mary

Blessed are those who can Give, without remembering

and Take with out Forgetting

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 146
Bonny1028 wrote
on Sep 4, 2010 12:30 AM

Even with the "oops" they are beautiful. I tend to embrace the oops that is part of what makes everything one of a kind.  I'm sure the lady you made them for will love them, if not....I do....

B

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 410
KristieJ3 wrote
on Sep 4, 2010 9:59 AM

I agree that these are beautiful, love them! It's only in the close up that you can really notice a difference in the color and I can't see the fireline at all really.

A lot of times I can see a flaw in my work that is totally obvious to me because I spend so much time looking at the piece, but my friends (who love to raid my jewelry stash, lol) won't notice because they don't look at it with such a critical eye!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,830
KipperCat wrote
on Sep 4, 2010 10:46 AM

Thank you everyone, I'm glad you like them. :)

Mary, I've seen the guardians in copper - perhaps on Blue Mud, who is closing out much of their copper.

Ironically, the "copper bead" I worried about turns out to be the same shade of gold as the rest of them.  It just happens to catch the light at a unique angle in the photo so as to reflect more red light. Btw, after trying to photograph these earrings, I went online and ordered a collapsible light cube on eBay.  I think it was $17 for a 20" one.  I think we can rig lights from what we have already.

wmweeza, you're not butting in.  I'll be glad to tell you how I did these. Here are some rough instructions

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Renee Crystal Earrings

The beads I used are
    crystal rondelles - approximate size 6mmx8mm
    small round gold plated beads, 2mm
    gold plated size 11 seed beads
Findings - earwires or posts, wire guardians, jump rings, FireLine 6#

I used about a 30" piece of FireLine. Leaving a 7" tail, string on a Stop Bead. Then string the line of base beads, alternating crystal, small round bead, crystal - starting and ending with the crystal to the desired length.  (I used 6 crystals per earring)

When you exit your last crystal, string 7 seed beads.  Go back through the small bead, entering the bead from bottom right, and exiting upper left.  Repeat this looping pattern alternating left and right sides of your line of crystal beads.

When you get back to the top of your earring, go  down through the first crystal and come back up through the 7 seed beads.  Run your thread up through one side of the guardian, and back down through the other one, and down into the next crystal bead.  Pull your thread snug, being sure the thread is wrapped around the wire guardian.  (The guardian should face the front at this point.) Go back up through the 7 seed beads, around the wire guardian and back through the top crystal.  Run your thread through the row of base beads to the other end.  Then go back through the loops to the top of the earring.  Run your thread through the wire guards one more time, then back down through the earring a ways.  Be sure to run through both seed beads and crystal.

Try to take the tail thread up and through the wire guardian.  This may or may not fit, depending on the size of your guardian.  Then weave your tail thread back down through the earring.

Use a jump ring to attach your earring to the earwire or post.
~~~
The above instructions are a rough draft!  If anything is not clear, please let me know.

(Other size beads may be substituted for the center crystals.  The number of sz 11 seed beads may need to be adjusted.)
~~~
Design by Liz Hart
Instructions copyright Liz Hart
LizHartDesigns        at       kippercat.net

Feel free to print and share these instructions, so long as my identifying and copyright  information remains on the page. Permission is granted to make and sell these earrings by the individual artisan, but not for mass production.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,335
DebWAZ wrote
on Sep 4, 2010 11:03 AM

Gyspy Mary:

These are Awesome! I love the style.(looks alot like one of my two sidewinder patterns) The Guardians(horseshoes) look great!

I sometimes use Crimps tubes to attach the jump rings to hide the fireline.(as I haven't seen the Guardians(horseshoes) in gunmetal or copper. )

Hmmm - Mary, I think I know an LBS in AZ that at least has the copper ones and I expect that gunmetal ones will be stocked in the future. If you put on your thinking cap and think REAL HARD, you might know of one, too! <LOL>

Deb

Deb

azbeaddepot.blogspot.com

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 817
JanineB@7 wrote
on Sep 4, 2010 11:10 AM

I think they are wonderful and in all honesty do not see any OOPS !!! in the design whatsoever.

I had made a very pretty Tanzanite necklace for a gal and for some reason toward the end of the strand I had strung an Amethyst. I did not notice it, but the gal that I made it for did. I told her that was my signature and that I do that quite often in a design. She was happy and in all honesty, I was mortified. I felt badly that I had not owned up to the fact that I didn't notice the OOPS !!!! and to this day have no idea how that one lonely oddball was even at my fingertips...

Anyway, Great design and I am sure that they sparkle brighter than the North Star. You do great work and I always enjoy your  posts.

Janine

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 153
kdworak wrote
on Sep 4, 2010 11:17 AM

Those are very pretty, and I didn't notice the oops until you pointed it out.  Thank you for posting the instructions, I would love to make a set of these.

Kim

Wisconsin

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,830
KipperCat wrote
on Sep 4, 2010 3:40 PM

Janine, what a wonderful story. I bet the gal smiles every time she notices the amethyst.  Thank you for your lovely comment. :)

FOR ANYONE WHO WANTS TO MAKE THESE - please note the changed crystal bead size in the directions.  I guessed when I wrote those up this morning.  I just got up and measured them.  The correct size is 6mmx8mm.  I edited the original post, but want to call attention for anyone who already copied them.  Of course you can use a different size for the center crystal, but the number of seed beads will change.

Guess this was an OOPS! post all the way. Huh?

Page 1 of 3 (34 items) 1 2 3  Next > | RSS