Knitted jewelry wire- how to finish the ends

This post has 4 Replies | 4 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 5
RMBO wrote
on Sep 1, 2010 2:06 PM

I have some samples of BeadSmith Gold Line Knitted Jewelry wire - a lovely airy goldish wire cord- but I am not sure how to finish the ends to add a clasp.  Do I use the crimp/connector ends and squeeze it on?  I think the ends are too big to stuff through the hole in a bead cup.

Thanks in advance!

Roxann

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 868
MysticP wrote
on Sep 8, 2010 7:21 PM

After doing a quick google search, it looks like a 4-strand wire is .007" which translates to about 1.5mm, so you'd need a large crimp - probably 4mm or wider if you're going to double the wire and loop it through a clasp. 

You might consider something like this:

http://www.firemountaingems.com/details.asp?PN=H207244FY

Alternatively, it's probably thick enough to do a simple wire wrap, and here's a free tutorial for something that should work:

http://www.jewelrylessons.com/tutorial/leather-cord-clasp

Hope these ideas help!!

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Nan_C wrote
on Apr 9, 2011 2:43 PM

I'm so glad you asked this!  I just discovered this in my local bead shop and loved the idea.  I, too, wondered about the best methods for finishing.  I thought of a crimp myself, but am not very handy with wire wrapping, so that  might take some practice.  Thank you RMBO and Beadingdaily.  :)  ~~NanC

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 150
mosshollow1 wrote
on Jun 3, 2011 6:09 AM

This product, which is manufactured in New Jersey, is expanding all the time and they now have findings 'especially created for their products.  Google Silve Silk and you'll find all sorts of info.

I used to carry this line (but have dropped it for a number of reasons) however, here are some suggestios for endings:  any ribbon crimp will do, there are some pinch/glue end caps that are great for this product, and I frequently use the same end caps (glue on's) as I use for kumihimo.

If you can't find them let me know and I'll see if I can send you somelinks.

Anne

Not Ranked
Posts 1
beadgrl4 wrote
on Jul 15, 2011 4:18 PM

I do Viking wire knitting and wire crochet. I often pinch the ends of the wire and pass a u-shaped wire through. Then I pull the crimped portion into a bead cone, using the u-shaped wire to attach a clasp. It gives a neat finish, and cones come in many sizes and finishes.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS