chain - silver plated brass vs silver-plated steel

This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,833
KipperCat wrote
on Aug 26, 2010 3:36 PM

I notice that the steel chain? is less expensive.  How do they compare in durability, etc?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,833
KipperCat wrote
on Aug 30, 2010 4:23 PM

any thought, anyone?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 868
MysticP wrote
on Aug 30, 2010 4:29 PM

the steel chain will be darker, while silver will have a whiter color to it. I don't think you can tarnish or age the steel in the same way that you can with the silver, and if it gets wet there is the possibility of rust.

Silver plated chain has the downside of tarnishing quickly, and depending upon what the silver is plated over (brass, steel, etc) it could be softer and more manipulable.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,833
KipperCat wrote
on Aug 30, 2010 4:39 PM

Hi Moira,  I'm looking at 2 types of silver-plated chain.  One is plated on brass, the other on steel.  My only thought is that if the plating wore off the steel would rust while the brass would tarnish.  I just wonder if either one will last longer than the other  before the plating starts to wear off.

The plated brass costs 3 to 4 times more than the steel.  I also have the same question for gold-plated chain.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 868
MysticP wrote
on Aug 30, 2010 4:53 PM

aaaah ... i thought you were talking about silver plated vs steel ... but both are silver plated...

well, steel is definitely stronger than brass, and the silver on it I believe is less likely to tarnish. I've used both ... sometimes mixing them into the same project, and I really can't tell the difference - except for the times when I've run into rust issues. 

I don't know the the silver plated brass ones tarnished any faster than the silver plated steel ones. Both seemed to have held up very well.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,833
KipperCat wrote
on Aug 30, 2010 5:17 PM

Thanks, Moira.  That's good to hear.  I'm still culling my FMG order, and the price of the steel fits the budget a lot easier. :)

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS