Quality of Round Japanese Seed Beads from Fusion Beads and Fire Mountain Beads?

This post has 11 Replies | 3 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 12
TessieQ wrote
on Aug 18, 2010 4:57 PM

Hiya, Folks...

I recently had some difficulties with the very poor quality of several packages of round Japanese seed beads I'd purchased online from Fusion Beads.  Round ones...#11's...not Delicas.

My past experiences with them have been very good.  I'd received nothing but high-quality seed beads (both #11s and #15s) and other beading items from them.  But this order...placed in July...just had really poor-quality seed beads.

In all fairness to Fusion Beads, their customer service is exemplary and I received no-hassle full refunds on all the packages I returned.

I also have purchased a lot of beads from Fire Mountain but have learned the hard way NOT to purchase their ROUND seed beads (Dyna-mites by Matsuno).  I've found the quality of those to be poor...some of what I purchased looked like they were cheapo beads from China.  Their Delicas, on the other hand, are good because they ARE from the quality Japanese manufacturer Miyuki...I guess "Delica" is Miyuki's brand name.  I know Toho makes cylindrical beads that are good, too, but Fire Mountain doesn't sell them...I wish they did.

I know that occasional misshapen beads are to be expected in any package of seed beads, be they round or Delicas, but when most to the entire package are misshapen it's simply not acceptable.  That's what happened recently with Fusion Beads.

I'm curious...what have your experiences been with purchasing round Japanese seed beads from Fusion Beads?  Was my past order a fluke or is it indicative of what is happening there nowadays?  How do you feel about the Dyna-mites from Fire Mountain?  Did I get fluke packages of those as well?  Finally, what shop or shops are your favorite resources for quality round Japanese seed beads?

Thanks for your input! Smile

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 363
Ruth. wrote
on Aug 18, 2010 5:53 PM

I always have ordered from fusion and mostly round instead of delicas. I have always found they are relatively uniform and have never had a problem within the past 2 years I have been ordering from them. Maybe it was just a bad batch of seeds that they received. I like their return policy too and have used it when I decided that I didn't like some beads that I ordered for a certain project.

Shippensburg Pennsylvania - about 30 minutes from Gettysburg

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,830
KipperCat wrote
on Aug 18, 2010 6:29 PM

Is it Fusion that doesn't identify the manufacturer of their Japanese seed beads?  I asked one online vendor who their seed bead supplier was and they told me they ordered from Toho and Miyuki and might have either one in stock at a given time.  I want to know in case I want more of the same color.  I know manufacturing lots can vary a bit in color, but I expect that ruby matte frost from the same manufacturer would match better than from 2 different manufacturers.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,471
ForumModerator
JSmaz wrote
on Aug 19, 2010 1:03 AM

I haven't ordered from Fusion but Japanese seed beads in general tend to be good quality so perhaps you just got a bad batch.

I have a few Dynamites that my grandma found me at a garage sale and they're ok but not great.  They're mostly inside color lined and I find that the colors are pretty uneven and in some cases missing altogether.  The transparent & opaque that I have are fine.

Jeni

Oklahoma City

ArtFire Studio & blog  |  Gallery 

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 367
BeadBarn wrote
on Aug 19, 2010 7:24 AM

Hi Tessie.. I have ordered from Fusion in the past and like you it has been a hit & miss experience.  As Kat said... they do not identify which Japanese supplier they use for a particular color... They told me they hold stock from all 3 big Names.. Miyuki, Toho & Matsumo... My last order from them was about a year ago and I was very disappointed in my size 15/o's... I have changed to Bellomodo.com and prefer Toho rounds... They carry the full line of size 11/o's (over 600 colors) and have recently added size 15/o to their site.  Size 11/o is in a 28grm tube for just a few cents more than most places charge for 14grms... Free shipping in the US and no minimum order.... and I have no complaints about customer service when anything is wrong.

Lynn

BeadBarn – Lynn

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 26
on Aug 19, 2010 11:30 PM

I believe theres no such thing as a bad bead. When you say poor-quality beads, do you mean they are misshapen or just different sizes? I used to hate the cheap seed beads until I used them. The different sizes make for a unique necklace. I think you should try to use them, you may like it. Give them a chance.

I started a necklace with different sizes of seed beads, at first I didnt like tthem, but as the necklace progessed it was so pretty. Not all beads are perfect, like people. lol Your bad beads are like the ugly duck, can you make them into a swan?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 588
NicoleT24 wrote
on Aug 20, 2010 3:52 PM

I actually frequent the brick and mortar Fusion in Seattle. I was there in July and bought a bunch of seeds. The quality didn't seem any better or worse to me.

One thing I have noticed is that different finishes will have differing degrees of consistency. This seems to be universal for all the brands. The silver and gold lined seeds tend to be more cylinder-ish than doughnut shaped and are never as uniform as say the transparent rounds or ceylon finishes. I've also noticed the matt finish in most of the seed brands tend to be less uniform.

Fusion doesn't say what brand each of their seeds are, and they buy in bulk and tube them there in the warehouse. From what I have purchased from them, and from my experienced eye... most of their stuff is Miyuki and Toho, I think I've only come across 3 or four oddball colors that are Matsumo. I could be wrong, but that's how it looks to me when I compare them against the ones I've bought where I know the name brand for sure.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 42
DorothyH@10 wrote
on Aug 22, 2010 3:31 PM

Hi Tess

I'm glad you brought this subject to the forum.  Dynamites are good for free-form designs. (Remember you get what you pay for.)

My favorite sites for beads are Bellomodo.com,  Beadseast.com,  Knotjustbeads and artgemsinc.com for Miyuki at half price.

Hope this is helpfulGeeked

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 42
DorothyH@10 wrote
on Aug 22, 2010 5:18 PM

Tess, I forgot to add the .com to the Knotjustbeads websiteSad

Not Ranked
Posts 12
TessieQ wrote
on Aug 25, 2010 9:47 PM

My appreciation to all that responded to my inquiry.  And thanks, as well, for the recommended bead websites...I'll be certain to check them all out!

As for "bad" beads.  I think any bead that isn't the shape it's supposed to be or not the color it's supposed to be is a bad bead.  Sorry, but beads are expensive for my budget and I don't think it's unreasonable of me to expect to receive what's advertised, especially when the beads are from reputable companies.  I have specific needs for the types of beads I purchase and I have no room for ones that are bad.  Culling is a pain in the tookas.  To me, misshapen beads stand out like sore thumbs and I cringe every time I see something I made where I let one...or, worse...some!...slip past.  Spotting misshapen beads in others' work...especially if it's for sale...just makes me move on.

Unquestionably there will always be a few bad beads in any lot but when almost the ENTIRE package is not what it's supposed to be I get ticky about it.

I'm willing to give Fusion another go...and, when I visit Seattle (hopefully soon...it's my home town)...I'll definitely visit their shop.  It DOES irritate me, though, that they aren't up-front about their supply sources.  Perhaps other stores do the same thing...or not...I've never really considered it until it was brought up here. 

Beads vary greatly between manufacturers as well as dye lots and if one is trying to match beads already in one's stash, and orders more of the same beads from the same store, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect to receive at least a very close approximation to what one already has.  Frustrating.

Thanks again for all your input!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 42
DorothyH@10 wrote
on Aug 25, 2010 10:24 PM

AMEN!Yes

Not Ranked
Posts 3
bryanbear wrote
on Dec 8, 2012 9:52 PM

I understand the bitching about not perfect beads but the not perfect ones are great for bead embroidery jewelry pieces when you need a oddball shaped bead to fit in the little space created by surrounding beads...

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS