How big is your bead stash?

This post has 109 Replies | 14 Followers
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,471
ForumModerator
JSmaz wrote
on Jul 26, 2010 1:10 AM

Christina, that's awesome, and it looks so perfect right there!  Hurray for nice neighbors. :)

Jeni

Oklahoma City

ArtFire Studio & blog  |  Gallery 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 92
dsexton84 wrote
on Jul 29, 2010 10:35 PM

my bead stash isnt very big cause i have no bead budget usually 5 dollare every couple of weeks so lately ive been going seed bead crazy but i find it easier to create with a small stash because you have to make due with what you have when you find a pattern you want to use it than truely becomes a one of a kind piece but my mom is my enabler whenever she comes to visit she wants me to make her a new piece so we go to my lbs and she brings her credit card and it turns into christmas but back to the topic recently i was running out of supplies and had to use my head for something other than an earing rack... so i used my small leftover amounts of beads to make a bunch of earings but than my mom came to visit with goodies in hand pieces from her jewelry box for me to dissasemble and reuse after that i told her about a new lbs that i had found so we went and they had 2 foot strands of beeds for one dollar now i have so many options that it has been a week since i have made anything

side note- in my experiance whenever you add more space to your beading area it always fills up quickly and you always run out of space

Dixie

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,142
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on Jul 30, 2010 9:03 AM

oh!my! oh! me! I love this computer desk!for Beading. This is awesome! Ok, Christina, now, How to I find a space in my RV to put oneWink

Congradulations! you have done the impossible! got all your beading organized!(oh! wait! thats Impossible for me:)

Gyspy Mary

Blessed are those who can Give, without remembering

and Take with out Forgetting

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 817
JanineB@7 wrote
on Jul 30, 2010 10:54 AM

This thread is too cool !!!!

Cbruel..I often look through my bags of personal faves and goodness Sakes if I have to use them, it is like loosing a best friend...LOL

Primarily due to slow business = not a lot of cash to spend on my beads I have had to use what I have on hand. I have way more beads than I will ever use, but it does give me a warm fuzzy feeling.

Christina, I love your new work station and I really like the Tea Cart, as well.

Have just recently started to use seed beads and these tiny little plastic containers are prolific little creatures and really need to learn that they have to stop !!!!!!!

Bead on guys and gals

Janine

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 546
CryssT wrote
on Jul 30, 2010 6:18 PM

well, my bead stash is smaller (relative term).  we moved into a house last fall and after everything else got set up and arranged i finally started on my beads (moved the beading desk 3x to get it right).  since i had obtained items in 'lots' there were things i wasn't going to use.  the GF of a co-worker has gotten first pick and then a friend of mine that works at a LBS.  finally, i can have find things without going through everything.  but since i have 3 jumbo craft mate carriers with 9 containers in each (8 big and 1 small will stuff in each carrier) and blue bag full of seed beads and delicas and a plastic container that's about 17x12 holding focals and 4 more containers for findings - i pretty much still have a huge assortment.  will try and post a picture when we get back from welcoming home our son who has spent the last year in Iraq.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,471
ForumModerator
JSmaz wrote
on Jul 31, 2010 1:55 AM

Glad to hear he made it back safely Cryss!  It was the biggest relief when DH got back from his tour over there I can tell you. 

Jeni

Oklahoma City

ArtFire Studio & blog  |  Gallery 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,825
KipperCat wrote
on Aug 1, 2010 12:48 PM

My bead stash is big enough to be overwhelming at times.  I can't settle in on one idea or design, I want to play with them all!  Unfortunately it's also too small to have everything I need, so I still end up needing to buy stuff.  Since I don't have a close LBS, I usually buy online.  Then by the time the beads arrive I'm wrapped up in something else... I still haven't started the first project I planned for Tamara's inspiration challenge - and I really like it! Embarrassed

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,099
Sherri S. wrote
on Aug 1, 2010 11:40 PM

ChristinaMarieH:
I am a bead horder....I buy what I like and seldom by for specific projects.

I have been trying to respond to this thread for DAYS, but wanted to read the whole thread first.

AYE!  I am a bead horder.  And I am totally like you Christina, I buy what I like and DON'T buy for specific projects, except for rare instances. 

I confess, I am a bead addict!  I have a 4-foot, heavy-duty plastic beading table with nine Sterilite 14-inch 3-drawer stackable units that are jam-packed to the gills full of beads, and overflowing  -  gemstones, pearls, sterling silver, seed beads and tools, that it isn't even funny.  I have my gemstone beads separated by color - pink, brown, red, black, white, yellow, blue, green, purple, etc............and  I  can barely get the drawers closed.  And under the table, there are 6 more 3-drawer stackable  units, although some of them are of a smaller size, perhaps 12 inches and a bit deeper.  In addiition, I have addiitonal Sterilite 3-drawer units in my office closet  - perhaps 5 or 6 of them, and THEY are jam-packed to the gills.  In my office, which I have to share with my husband's fly-tying table (fishing), I have nowhere else to hide beads from my husband, who complains that I'm "wasting money" on so many beads, except in my undies drawer, and there's not much space left there!  I'm going to have to find other areas of the house to stash my beads, and hopefully my husband won't find them!Surprise

What can I say, I LOVE BEADS!  And I can't get enough of them!  It doesn't matter how many drawers I fill, I just can't get enough of them!

Do I have a PROBLEM?!  Probably!!!!!!!!!!  But at least it's not DRUGS!!!!Angel

Sherri S.

Check out my Etsy Store......

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6321824

Check out my Etsy Beads Store.......

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=7141344

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 46
bec95beads wrote
on May 27, 2012 1:36 PM

i'm 17 so my bead stash is most probley not that big i , i do have a lot though , i will post a pic later today , but i do have more than i make , i just getting back into make a lot like i use to , before i took a break , before that i was making 20 to 25 pieces a week though and i just started sell on facebook so hopefully i can sell more there .

Not Ranked
Posts 3
tlw1595 wrote
on Jun 7, 2012 2:21 PM

I am not a designer so I use patterns for my beadweaving.  The problem is that I never have everything I need to complete the project.  Frustrating!  I tried to make my stash more user friendly by "shopping" online to select a variety of beads, crystals, findings, etc but I became overwhelmed and the list grew to be prohibitively expensive...so, I ended up not buying anything!  Any suggestions on how to acquire a useable stash without breaking the bank?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 46
bec95beads wrote
on Jun 8, 2012 8:22 AM

tlw1595:

I am not a designer so I use patterns for my beadweaving.  The problem is that I never have everything I need to complete the project.  Frustrating!  I tried to make my stash more user friendly by "shopping" online to select a variety of beads, crystals, findings, etc but I became overwhelmed and the list grew to be prohibitively expensive...so, I ended up not buying anything!  Any suggestions on how to acquire a useable stash without breaking the bank?

hi i buy when i have the money and i buy when sales are on . I live in australia and i'm 17 each year we have a bead and gem show each year ,  i go to it and there is one shop that is wholesale but the public can buy from and they have cheap prices normaly but everything is half off from it normaly is so i stock up big time and i get my mum to buy me stuff for christmas and birthday ( 11th jan ) , and i use empire beads i don't know if they ship to america but they sell lots stuff realy cheap . even if you buy a little in time it adds up , i started my bead stash  at a cheap junk shop , and i still shop at my locale craft store as there only one and not any bead shop around where i live , in time you end up with heaps , i have hardly anymore room to put things in or on. hope this helps becci

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,825
Valbeads wrote
on Jun 9, 2012 1:06 AM

tlw1595:

I started out myself with some inexpensive beading kits from my local WalMart.  I am disabled, so I live on an extremely fixed income.  Most of my bead shopping I do online with a small handful of companies that were recommended to me by my mentors here at Beading Daily.  Most of my beady friends will recommend to you Fire Mountain Gems, and so will I.  They have evrything your little beady heart could desire AND they are ALWAYS having terrific sales; and have $1 bead sales at least once a month.  Right now, they're having a Swarovski Crystal sale, which for me is pretty awesom, because Swarovski crystal is top of the line and I can't afford it unless someone's having a really good sale, which is seldom.  One of the other terrific benefits at FMG is their stuff-the-box shipping option.  No matter how much you order from them, when you choose that option, the send it via FedEX Groud for only $5 shipping!  You can order a great big box of stuff--$5!  It may take anywhere fron 3-7 days to arrive, but it's well worth it.  They always send you little freebies, too!  The staff at FMG are very friendly and go out of their way to help you. I have an excellent business relationship with them and I highly recommend them.

The other two sites I do business with are Beadaholique, and Lima Beads.  They are smaller, more specialty sites, you might say, but both of them have an excellent selection of these items.  Lima, in paticular, has a delicious selection of Czech crystals and semiprecious stones.  Lima Beads also has this great little thing called the Big Green Bead Machine where they have great sales on 9 different items at a time, including Toho seed beads, for really great prices.  Every 5 minutes the prices go down, but watch out!  If you're not careful, they could sell out!  It's irresistable, trust me.  Beadaholique is a beautiful site, where you can find the vintage lucite you're looking for to design antique-style jewelry.  They have an amazing galley of free jewelry projects you can do, and they have video how-tos as well.  Beadaholique also periodically holds beading contests to give you the opportunit to display your work on their site, as well as win money and gift certificates to their site.  Both Lima and Beadaholique's prices are very reasonable and both of them always send coupons.

Please excuse the lengthiness of this post.  I hope it clears up some of your confusion, and provides you with a solid jumping-off point.

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 46
bec95beads wrote
on Jun 9, 2012 2:36 AM

i would love to shopfrom fire mountain gems and beads but it so expensive to send to australia , we have a few bead and craft stores not many though and two major one but they are more home weres than craft ( spotlight , lincraft )  , the usa seems to have more craft stores and bead store .

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,825
Valbeads wrote
on Jun 9, 2012 4:10 AM

Hey, Beca,

Yes, I would imagine that ordering from an American company probably wouls be rather cost-prohibitive for an Aussie.  Do you have an Australian version of beadfinder.com to help you locate bead stores near you?  I'm not sure what your tag is; I know Canada is.ca, England is.uk.co, France is.fr and we are.com,.net,.org, blah blah blah...is yours.au?  I am hoping there are good online bead stores like there are here in the US, Canada and the UK.  As I am disabled and my local bead store recently closedSad I depend on my online businesses for good product at decent cost.  I really wish you had an Australian FMG there.  Maybe by doing a search engine search, you'll find one.  I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.  Stay warm!!

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,142
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on Jun 9, 2012 10:08 PM

Bead Swaps are a great way to get a variety of supplies. It want break the bank to do so.

Good Luck!

Gyspy Mary

Blessed are those who can Give, without remembering

and Take with out Forgetting

Page 3 of 8 (110 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4 5  Next >  ... Last ยป | RSS