finishing bead embroidery

This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,242
on Jun 29, 2010 2:55 AM

I got some like stiff stuff from Lody to make a those bead embroidered things - but I am still a bit puzzled about how to end it and make the back look good ...

Anyone know any tuts or techniques that would help me ?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,788
Cathy wrote
on Jun 29, 2010 4:01 PM

Good question, Inca.  I've been wondering those things myself.  Can't wait to see the answers.

Cathy

Baton Rouge, Louisiana

"What matters in life is not great deeds, but great love." - St. Therese of the Child Jesus

"The laughter of a child is the light of a house" - unknown

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 197
on Jun 29, 2010 6:29 PM

Beadseast has a good tutorial on the basics of bead embroidery. http://www.youtube.com/user/beadseast#p/u

If doesn't specifically talk about the ending, but briefly touches on it. Do some more searching and you should fi

Not Ranked
Posts 5
jenny_quan wrote
on Jun 29, 2010 8:36 PM

Advise you go to search~~

Beads wholesale  http://www.pandahall.com

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,242
on Jun 30, 2010 12:11 AM

jenny_quan:

Advise you go to search~~

I DID that .... but I didnt find anything that helped me with what I wanted to know ...
So that was why I hoped my friendly beading family would help out ...

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,750
Kokopelli wrote
on Jun 30, 2010 2:17 AM

When I finished the embroidery top, I glue the piece onto a piece of suede or leather (you can also use felt or any other material that is comfortable on the skin). And then I finish the edge by stitching both layers together and add beads while stitching, which goes: thread a bead, stitch through both layers (backing and top), go through the bead again (from the same side your thread comes out) and pull tight, so that the bead sits on the edge (and not on the back or on the front of the piece). With the basic edge row of beads in place you can add more beads for a fancier edge or add fringe. You can use the same technique for those embroidered cuffs, but then you don't have to glue the two layers together, but insert a cuff blank and sew both layers around that.

The pic shows the back of a little cab pendant I made. The white beads around the edge are sewn around the edge with the described stitch and the red ans little white beads are stitched to the basic edge row. The red leather backing hides the stitches from embroidering and protects them plus adds a smooth surface, which doesn't rub or scratch on the skin.

Hope that helps! If you have any further question you know where to find me. Smile

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,242
on Jun 30, 2010 2:32 AM

Thanks Dagi ... that helped a lot =)

Answered most my problems .... tho give me a few days I find some new ones =)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,750
Kokopelli wrote
on Jun 30, 2010 2:49 AM

Great that it helped! And new problems - new answers! Big Smile

Have fun trying out bead embroidery!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,486
Lody wrote
on Jun 30, 2010 6:43 AM

Somehow I missed this post... Tongue Tied I agree with Dagi, though I haven't tried using other backing aside from stiffener (the one I sent you) covered with premium cotton or silk dupioni. Note: I usually cut 2 stiffeners (and fabric, at least half inch bigger all around than stiffener) with the same shape before beading.

Most of the time, I use blindstitch or whipstitch to join the front and backing. But I've used other stitches as well, like ladder and blanket. Often than not, I attach the beads for the edge after the front and backing are connected... but that's just my personal preference.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS