stretch magic for braclet advice

This post has 18 Replies | 5 Followers
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 52
on Jun 8, 2010 8:41 AM

Hi every one I need any advice you can give. I have requests for stretch bracelets , but I am so leary of this material. I try knotting and burning the ends. I've tried krazy glue after knotting the ends using surgeon knots. They still came a loose. Does anyone have some advice? thanks

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,471
ForumModerator
JSmaz wrote
on Jun 8, 2010 8:52 AM

Ugh, I know stretch bracelets are popular and I do make them or re-string them on occasion, but I really don't like stretch cord since you know it's gonna break sometime.  I try as hard as possible to talk people out of them first.

I wouldn't use Krazy/Super glue-I seem to recall it can eat through the cord.  Something like Aileene's "Jewel It" glue would probably work better.  As far as I know a surgeon's knot plus glue and hiding the knot inside a bead is the best way to do it but someone else may have a better idea.

Jeni

Oklahoma City

ArtFire Studio & blog  |  Gallery 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 52
on Jun 8, 2010 10:32 AM

thank you Jsmaz,

I tried finding the GS cement. I haven't found it here, maybe I'll have to break down and mail order it.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 456
lostaloha wrote
on Jun 8, 2010 12:17 PM

A long time ago, back in elementary school, I had a crafts class and they said to dab a little clear nail polish over your knot.  Not superglue, because it does melt the material.  It worked pretty good, especially since I was pretty young.

I usually try to use the largest diameter stretch cord I can find, and just crimp it.. find the crimps without the teeth on the inside, I use tubes and I don't think they do.  Anyways, I just crimp and cover with a crimp cover... there's several different styles of crimp covers, it's almost always I find one that matches my bracelet!

From the Oregon Coast to Tacoma.

etsy :: blog :: flickr

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,335
DebWAZ wrote
on Jun 8, 2010 1:19 PM

Hi Stephanie!

Welcome to the BD family!

Stretch is not my favorite stringing material, but I've had to learn how to deal with it because I repair stretch bracelets for customers on a regular basis. (Bracelets they bought elsewhere, not ones I made! <LOL>) I would not advise you to use crimps - even with glue. Crimps have fairly sharp edges and the friction and tension against the stretch will eventually cut it. Using crimp covers over a crimp on stretch merely covers the problem - it won't prevent it.

I use the largest diameter that will fit through the beads. When I tie the knot in stretch, I use what is called a "double surgeon's knot" or a "figure 8" or a "fisherman's knot". To make this knot, hold both ends parallel - like this --->  ============     Use these ends to make a regular overhand knot and then before tightening it, bring the ends through the knot a second time. Pull tight from both sides of the knot - it's tricky to get into place, so you'll probably have to fidget with it a little. As you tighten the knot, it will look like a sideways figure 8. It makes a big and kind of blobby knot, but it's the only knot I've been able to tie in stretch that doesn't come out.

To cover the knot, you can glue it inside a bead or you can cover it with a large-ish crimp cover. If you have extra space between the knot and the beads, slide the bracelet around and in a couple of gaps, use a crimp cover to fill the space, rather than start all over! If done well, crimp covers look just like a bead, so it's hard to tell they were a "fix".

Hope this helps,

Deb

Deb

azbeaddepot.blogspot.com

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 52
on Jun 9, 2010 6:33 AM

Hello , and thanks , I'll get back to you on the results.

Not Ranked
Posts 14
frantastic3 wrote
on Aug 13, 2010 9:04 PM

Hi. Can I share? I've been working on what I call my "economy line" collection. I'm in Grenada part of the year and am going to try to sell some Independence Day jewellery. The tourists won't buy it as a souvenir if it's too expensive; the locals can't afford them if they're too expensive. So I've ordered some bulk  green, yellow and red seed beads (national colours) and decided that stringing with a clasp was just too good for them, the beads, that is. It had to be stretchy cord.

I have tried:

• .5mm "Stretchy Jewelry Cord" from Michaels
  • .5mm "Foxy Flex" from I can't remember where
  • 1mm "Bead 'n Stretch" (too big)
  • Gossamer Floss (too big)
  • .3mm Beadalon Elonga
  • some thick elastic thread that I bought at a sewing shop (too big)

As far as I can tell, there isn't much quality difference between stretchy cords like Stretch Jewelry Cord, Elasticity and Stretch Magic. I've made most of the rings and bracelets with the Foxy Flex just because I like the soft feel of it and I have about 160ft of it on hand. However, some I've done with Elonga because it's thin enough that I can put it on a big-eye needle and with the needle I can pick up the beads faster.

It is all in the knot! You definitely want a surgeon's knot, or at least a square knot. Someone else gave you some good instructions for tying a surgeon's knot. Pull it tight from both the cord ends and the part you've strung.

The glue seems to make a difference too. As others have said, super/crazy glue types can eat through the cord. Don't use any glue that is brittle when it dries. I've been using 527, which is like E6000, but not as thick. It has some flexibility. "Buddy Stretch" from beadbuddies.net says not to use any glue with it at all...

If I was making something for myself, I would probable choose Gossamer Floss or something like it, tie and glue the knot and hide it inside a bead. Personally, If I can't hide the knot , I think a crimp cover is an OK solution. I have to say that I've had more bad knots slip than crimps/crimp covers cut the cord. (This is all IMHO.)

Oh yeah, and I hate memory wire. I just do not have enough strength to make those loops on the end!

I hope I've helped you some. But as you see, a lot of it is just trial and error and finding what works best for you.

Good luck!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 259
beadinstyle wrote
on Aug 14, 2010 1:29 AM

I use the square knot and a dab of nail polish or E6000, whichever is handy at the time. Start or finish with a bead that has a larger hole. I love stretch bracelets cos they are so easy to wear, and easy to stack too. When I repair them (all those magnetic ones that magnetise everything around their universe), I do say that it won't last forever, but the ease of wear and the style makes it worth replacing every couple of years. Smile I have had some of my stretchy bracelets since I began beading many years ago.

Not Ranked
Posts 6
JudyP@4 wrote
on Aug 21, 2011 8:03 PM

Fantastic 3,

I totally love and got a great deal of information from the above message you posted.    Those were the best answers I have ever found.

Thanks

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 531
on Aug 22, 2011 2:34 PM

Stretch bracelets are very popular and for me they are such a pain to work with the GS Hypo cement works wonderfully, but I would suggest tying the surgeon knot putting a dab of the GS Hypo cement on the knot and let it sit for a while. Also, another thing I do when I work with elastic cord, Ill cut my piece to the desired length and stretch out the cord, so its no so tight and more malleable to work with.

Good luck to you! Smile

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 450
megabgirl wrote
on Aug 22, 2011 2:56 PM

Lots of great tips here, I usually avoid stretch cord like the plague, but I just may have to dig into it again now!! :-)

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 563
kareng915 wrote
on Aug 23, 2011 2:20 AM

I have made a lot of stretch bracelets, and very few have come apart... mostly just a few of my earliest pieces..  or lost their stretch.   I started out using a fiberous, no name elastic I could get in a pretty good varity of colors from my local dollar store.  Since then I have tried a more solid type of stretch cord, like Stretch Magic, and have not been nearly as happy.  I can see why so many would not like using it.

I've made bracelets, necklaces, chokers, watch bands, and even a few funky beaded rings.   Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find this elastic thread for over a year and my supply is almost gone.   I'm on the lookout for a similar type of product, and if I can find it, I'll share my source.

karen  ~  BeadDelirium    blog  |  artfire 

Not Ranked
Posts 16
cat9 wrote
on Aug 25, 2011 8:31 PM

I have an idea to share. If there's enough room, sew through beads with a second separate strand of cord. This way if one breaks, the other may hold. Smile

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on Jul 8, 2012 4:55 PM

I received some advice on this very question several years ago and have not had one issue since then.  I only use stretch magic elastic, I use all thicknesses but i prefer .5 or .7mm thickness. 

I tie the knot 6 times pulling the elactic taught each time, when I am done, holding both sides of of the excess cord I puIl slightly so I can put a drop of the following glue on it, i hold it for minute then I cut ths excess leaving a small tail and I slide the knot into a bead to hide it. 

http://www.joann.com/a-fine-line-liquid-glue/prd51414/ 

I hope this helps

Janice

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Teresamerica wrote
on Mar 3, 2014 7:28 PM

I just started beading. Is there easier cord or wire to string beads? Using the stretch magic I tried knotting but the knot won't stay so I used craft glue from a glue gun. My knots look too big. I did put the clear knot next to a clear bead but the knot is too big to hide in the bead. I will have to try that cement glue. Unsure what a surgeon's knot is but I'll look up and try that too. 

Any suggestions will be very appreciated. 

Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS