voting up on wednesday

This post has 48 Replies | 6 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 4
beadsoul wrote
on May 19, 2010 1:13 PM

Thanks Suzy@32 for the peeking tip! The suspense was killing me!

Not Ranked
Posts 21
Suzy@32 wrote
on May 19, 2010 1:19 PM

You're welcome.  I was glad to see the finalists but sad I wasn't one!  Sad

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 620
Erin@76 wrote
on May 19, 2010 1:29 PM

awesome cheating tip and now at least the suspense is over for me--I made it into the finals. So did Jeni and Cat.

but when the heck will voting be up!!! Dang it--whats the hold up!?

Erin

www.studioEgallery.etsy.com

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Becca187 wrote
on May 19, 2010 2:02 PM

I tried switching the url to 2010 but it said website invalid.  Can someone post a link? I'm anxious too hehe

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 620
Erin@76 wrote
on May 19, 2010 2:12 PM

apparently they are onto us! The 2010 URL no longer works. It comes up as invalid.

www.studioEgallery.etsy.com

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,624
Cat_P wrote
on May 19, 2010 5:06 PM

VOTING IS UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cat     Blog  Artfire  Etsy

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 41
ArdentTie wrote
on May 20, 2010 1:05 AM

Hi there, Jeni!

Andrew Thornton here.  It was a complete fluke that I found out earlier than most.  There was some confusion about a title of one of my pieces and that's how I found out early.  So any conspiracy theories can be put to rest.  It was also a fluke that the blog post went up earlier than it was supposed to.  I had created a draft with a time-stamp to be posted later that night, just before midnight (when it had gone up in the past).  Unfortunately my browser closed and I opened up a saved draft that didn't have the time-stamp and it went up WAY earlier than I had wanted or intended it to.  Since my blog is syndicated and RSS feeds are connected to it, the post had already gone out... so even if I did take it down and waited, the information would have already been floating around the internet.  So it was left up, as is.  I also think there were some delays in uploading the pieces and/or some submissions were lost in cyberspace and there was an additional lapse of time between my post and the official launch time.  I do know that it went up around 5PM mountain time.  I apologize for any confusion or stress my post may have caused.  It was completely unintentional!

Simplicity Always,
Andrew

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 41
ArdentTie wrote
on May 20, 2010 1:43 AM

Hi everyone!  Andrew Thornton here.  I just read through all the comments posted here.  I wish everyone who was selected the best of luck!  There are some TRULY BEAUTIFUL pieces in the running.  I also wanted to say that just because a piece wasn't selected for voting doesn't mean that it's not a "winning design".  I had a piece that wasn't selected the first time I participated and it ended up being in a book later on!  You never know what factors are considered in things like this.  I do, however, feel very fortunate and lucky to have been honored amongst so many others who are clearly gifted and talented individuals.  It is a privilege and I am still in awe of what I saw up for voting.  Nicely done, everyone!

I saw some comments that said my "insider information" was "shady" and not "fair".  I was really hurt by this.  I really put my best into my pieces and took a huge leap of faith and trust, posting my pieces on my blog.  I had an incident on my blog where someone maliciously stole designs off my blog of my finished jewelry and used them for a publication, bead for bead, and claimed that it was original work.  Since then, I have been reluctant to post my finished pieces... let alone pieces up for competition.  I'm not psychic.  Nor do I have some kind of spy.  There was an issue with one of the titles of one of my pieces and I found out quite unintentionally.  I was excited though!  I wrote a blog post, not intending for it to be published when it did, but it did.  I can't change that it went out earlier than it was supposed to.  Nor can I change the fact that voting went up later than originally anticipated.  I am happy to say though that everything is up and running.  Everyone who is a finalist should know by now.  All thoughts of a conspiracy, especially at this point, are completely and totally ridiculous!  Sure... my feelings are bruised because people think I have some kind of upper-hand, but that's completely false.  Anyone has an opportunity to win, just as much as I do.  I would hate for people to think that I have some kind of special treatment.

Well, best of luck to everyone!  And thank you for your support if you do/did vote for my hard work.

Simplicity Always,
Andrew

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 244
Nemeton wrote
on May 20, 2010 4:18 AM

Andrew, I am so sorry that your good news has been blighted by sniping from the conspiracy theorists - I've been on the receiving end of similar comments here in the UK from time to time and I know how hurtful this is. Thank you for taking the time to give such a calm and rational explanation of the facts. I hope the 'snipers' will be big enough to apologize to you, and that everyone can move on and enjoy all of the beautiful work that's been selected!

I've just been and voted - not an easy decision in any category! Congratulations to everyone who made it to the finals... you are all stars. I still hope that one day this contest, like the voting, will be open to all of us 'international' beaders too!

Lynn

My website: http://lynndavybeadwork.co.uk/

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Samela wrote
on May 20, 2010 7:47 AM

Thank you Andrew!

Your explanation does explain how you knew about the "one" piece early, but not all 6 of them. So you are saying, that while they were talking to you they said, "BTW Andrew you have 6 pieces up this time & they are.......  I have a thing about going by the rules! I was a first place winner in 2008, and made sure that I followed the rules in my design.

Then in 2009 I had 3 of my pieces up for voting, but I did not win. As I looked through all of the finalists then, to do my voting, I noticed a lot of pieces that were not by the rules; you could plainly see some were bead weaving (not allowed), and there was also some rings up (no mention of rings in the rules), one picture had 2 bracelets in it (which one were we voting on?) and so on. Allowing those items take from the people who work hard to follow the rules.

Why have rules if they (the rule makers) are not going to follow them. So this year I desided not to enter for that reason. Yes I want to win, I am sure everybody wants to win, but more important is to follow the rules, then it is fair to all. I did notice however that all the finalists chosen were ones who had followed the rules.

But........now with this little incident, I once again feel that somebody is not following the rules. Too bad, because this is a fabulous contest, and gives a lot of "unknowns" out there some very deserved exposure. I am so sorry that somebody found it in their heart that it was OK to steal your designs, bead by bead. It is obvious that you have worked hard to be in so many publications & etc. But.......then again, there is a lot of unfairs in this world, and it can be very heart breaking at times. It is those who break the rules, that have no problem doing wrong to others, like stealing in plain site.

I am a manager of a bead store, and have been for 6 years, teacher & jewelry designer, so I do speak from some experience. Thank you for listening to me, and "GOOD LUCK" to all of you. I thought about not voting for the unfairness that I feel comes with this contest, but then again, a lot of you work hard on your designs & did follow the rules, so I will be voting.

Thank you! Samela

May 20th, 9:05 PM Pacific Time:

I need to explain something that I wrote up above earlier this morning. It just came to my attention, that I did have one piece summited this year, but I am not the one who summited it. A friend did so, thinking my piece deserved to be summited, without my knowledge of doing so. The piece was not chosen. Kind friend, bad move! Thank you!

Not Ranked
Posts 4
on May 20, 2010 8:07 AM

This is Melanie Stafford, Bead Star editor, writing from home. Hearty congratulations to the finalists whose designs were posted yesterday at 5:00 mountain time. The quality of this jewelry is exceptional and does the beading community proud!

I want to explain two things:

Interweave beta-tests all of our posts before they go live so that they will work when thousands of people try to use them. We were doing this yesterday morning when some of you found a way to "peek" at the sample finalist photos. I regret that some of you considered this the real voting slate, because that led to some misinformation posted on this forum.

Before Lorelei Eurto inquired as to whether her entries had been received (I got her message at about 5 p.m. Tuesday May 18), I had a completely unrelated question for Andrew Thornton about the Latin title of one of his pieces for Creative Jewelry 2010, and mentioned in passing that I thought some of his Bead Star pieces had made the finals. I now see that it was a huge mistake on my part even to discuss it. I met Andrew exactly one month ago at the Rocky Mountain Bead Society show in Denver, and certainly do not know him well, nor does he have any kind of "in" with me.

This was my first time to help judge the Bead Star contest, and not only was I thrilled to look over hundreds of gorgeous submissions, I was impressed with the fairness of the process (anyone who knows me could tell you I've been annoyingly outspoken about fairness since I was a baby!). What we do is print out color photos of every single piece, spread them out by category on a conference table and bulletin boards, and judge by the photos alone. We don't know which designer's piece we're looking at, although one could certainly argue that certain artists' "voices" are recognizable. Because of the fact that there were about 1,200 entries, I spent many, many hours over the past two weeks printing and sorting them for the judges, and I can assure you that my premenopausal brain cannot remember the names associated with 1,200 items. It was not until I returned to my computer and matched them with the database that we knew to whom they belonged (we "boomers" need mnemonic devices like databases!).

While making selections, we pay very close attention to technique, and if there is any question about one of the finalists, I go back and e-mail him or her. We select alternates just in case the response disqualifies that entry. Therefore, several artists received e-mails asking how various components were made or whether stitching was involved or whether the beads are widely available to readers. Some of these pieces made the finals and others did not. That is why the selection process remains open until the voting actually goes live (but to make the deadline we beta-test sample finalists).

There you have it--a peek behind the scenes from a newcomer to Bead Star! Again I want to apologize for any confusion I or the process has caused. I hope that in the spirit of community, everyone can be gracious to the finalists and know that they won based on a photo only and then vote, vote, vote!

If anyone has any more questions or complaints, please direct them to me at mstafford@interweave.com (but realize that I have to get Creative Jewelry 2010 to press on Tuesday, so it may take more than a few minutes to respond!). 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,471
ForumModerator
JSmaz wrote
on May 20, 2010 10:05 AM

Thanks Melanie and Andrew for explaining what happened.  That does help a lot.

Andrew, it's terrible that someone would do that to you (or anyone, for that matter).  I hope you were able to resolve it. 

Jeni

Oklahoma City

ArtFire Studio & blog  |  Gallery 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,486
Lody wrote
on May 20, 2010 9:01 PM

Congrats to everybody who participated and to all the finalist. Andrew, sorry about the mishap... I hope that by your detail explanation, your name will be cleared.:)

On the positive note, I voted this morning and gotta say that it was really hard to pick just one. LOL

Congrats again all!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 41
ArdentTie wrote
on May 20, 2010 11:37 PM

I agree!  Lots of beautiful things to chose from!  

Page 3 of 4 (49 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4  Next > | RSS