Why change the DPI for submission?

This post has 15 Replies | 0 Followers
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,624
Cat_P wrote
on Mar 31, 2010 4:52 PM

First- I'm having trouble figuring out how to do it. I've changed the pixels with no problem but I can't even tell how many DPI my picture is to either confirm it's 72 or to change it. 

As far as I have read on the net, changing the DPI is rather pointless. 

So can I get some direction on how to do it, what program is available to do it, and why this has to be done?

Cat     Blog  Artfire  Etsy

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 868
MysticP wrote
on Mar 31, 2010 5:11 PM

I don't know what you're using for a program, but that might be listed under "change resolution" or something like that. 

You can do it with the Microsoft Office Picture Manager, but you can't choose an exact resolution ... you have like "documents" "email" and "web" for options

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,471
ForumModerator
JSmaz wrote
on Apr 1, 2010 9:43 AM

I sized mine in Photoshop and it tells you the dpi.  I'm fairly certain that 72 is the default but I could be wrong.  All mine said 72 dpi without me having to do anything to the camera or PS.

Jeni

Oklahoma City

ArtFire Studio & blog  |  Gallery 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,624
Cat_P wrote
on Apr 1, 2010 10:02 AM

Thanks Moira and Jeni. 

I can't tell what mine is at least on Picasa. I also have a Canon program on my computer as well as an HP program. I guess I'll have to check those too. I've changed the pixels to the requested size but as much as I read on the internet about changing DPI is really pointless. 

I just like to understand WHY something has to be done. I don't have photoshop so have to use what I have. I am trying to avoid downloading yet another program, free or not, on my computer. 

Just kind of seems silly to me and is actually a deterrent in my opinion of entering Bead Star. Especially for anyone that may not be computer savvy. 

Not Ranked
Posts 620
Erin@76 wrote
on Apr 1, 2010 10:24 AM

Hi Cat,

I use photoshop also, and it has full controls for dpi (and everything else.) It is the industry standard for professional graphics, but probably overkill for someone who doesn't do a lot of work with digital images.

The reason they want you to use 72 dpi, (typically the default resolution for web graphics) is that if it is a higher resolution, the file size gets bigger, which means a slower load time. If you have your image sized at the correct pixel dimensions, look to see how big your file is (in terms of megs.) If it is around 300-500k, its probably the correct resolution. If it is bigger, like, 3 megs, its too big, and you probably have a 150 or 300 dpi res image. Thats the only way I know of to tell if you don't work in a photo editing program that tells you.

Erin

www.studioEgallery.etsy.com

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,624
Cat_P wrote
on Apr 1, 2010 10:44 AM

Thanks Erin! Makes me understand why it has to be done, the loading time :) 

I know I sound like a gripe, but I always like to know why I have to do something. When it comes to digital images, I can do very basic stuff- cropping, lighting, get me into the other mumbo jumbo and I can usually figure it out, but it's not something I exactly like doing. 

I'm going to try my other programs, Canon and HP to see if I can tell. I think I used my Canon program last year for BeadStar but it's a royal pain switching pics around systems, saving and blah. I just want to make sure it's done correctly so it's not thrown to the side for improper sending. 

My mom has photoshop and can't figure a thing out on it. I could probably do a little bit in photoshop but I've never tried and for someone like me, with basically nothing beyond basic knowledge it's quite intimidating. 

Thanks for your replies!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,471
ForumModerator
JSmaz wrote
on Apr 1, 2010 12:22 PM

If you happen to try it at your mom's with PS it's very easy.  Just go to Edit-resize image and it will pop up with a box with a bunch of info, including the dpi.  As long as it says 72 you're golden-then you can just change the size to 640x480 pixels (or as close as you can get) and you're done.

Jeni

Oklahoma City

ArtFire Studio & blog  |  Gallery 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 868
MysticP wrote
on Apr 1, 2010 12:43 PM

Cat, I don't have the cannon software, so I've been poking around with the HP software. I know you can set the resolution while scanning, but it doesn't appear to let you set it while editing pictures. 

Do you have the microsoft office picture manager? it comes with Word, Excel, etc. and a lot of people have it but don't use it. If you open up your picture in it's folder and right click on it, choose "open with" and all of the available programs that can read it will show up. If you have the picture manager, choose that, click "edit pictures" then "compress" and choose the file size for web pages. I think that's actually 96 DPI, but it should work.

If you can get onto your mom's computer and use photoshop, I believe you go to the "image" menu at the top, then select "image size" and a window will pop up which will allow you to type the DPI you want right in there. That's probably the easiest program to use for this.

If all else fails, email them to me and I'll be happy to use photoshop to adjust the DPI for you ... it will only take me about a minute, and I'd be happy to help!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,624
Cat_P wrote
on Apr 1, 2010 1:03 PM

You know I loaded those photos onto my Mom's computer the other night because she had some photos on there she needed for a UPS insurance claim. I might just have to go down to her house and try. 

I have a question though- Will emailing the pic back to myself (since I can't use a disk- don't ask) change the quality of the pic? I don't think it would but just want to make sure. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,624
Cat_P wrote
on Apr 1, 2010 1:07 PM

Thanks Moira- I had hit reply several minutes before I actually got to type a reply so I didn't see your reply until after I posted mine. 

I think I might have the windows office picture manager, but like you said, I've never used it.  I'm going to see what I can get done and will let you all know. If all else fails, I guess I could send the photo to you but I think I might be able to get it done. I entered bead star last year, and I know I did it then. It just seems to be such a pain to go through all this. I guess it's not really but it seems that way to me. 

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions! 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 868
MysticP wrote
on Apr 1, 2010 1:09 PM

that depends upon your email program ... and I'm not sure what you're using. Yahoo has a "don't resize" option right on the attachment itself ... gmail won't compress it further if you're sending it from the web-based gmail page. If you're sending it through picasa it will, and you have to go into properties to tell it not to. I'm pretty sure MSN has an option to keep the original size, but I haven't used MSN in so long, I really don't remember. 

If in doubt, add the pics to a zip file, that will keep them in the same shape when you open them up at the other end - or if you have a flash drive or CD that you can use to move them, that should preserve them also. 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 76
on Apr 3, 2011 7:54 PM

if you have Picasa you can try to export it to another file if lets you resize it that is what i do but I am clueless about this photo stuff  the program will also let you brighten or ad contrast you can export it to another file and look at the different results that’s what I have done but I was planning to hire a professional when I thought the deadline was the 17th of may I just got my shots in today and I will have to hope for the best

" the future belongs to those who belives in the beauty of their dreams"

Eleanor Roosevelt

"They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night." ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,624
Cat_P wrote
on Apr 3, 2011 7:58 PM

Thanks, some sweet person edits my photos to the correct size for me!

I have Picasa, and it will change the size but not the DPI, so my dear friend does it for me :)  I'm a lucky girl!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 76
on Apr 4, 2011 8:07 PM

wow now I am wondering if what i submited are ok????

Eleanor Roosevelt

"They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night." ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 76
on Apr 4, 2011 8:07 PM

wow now I am wondering if what i submited are ok????

Eleanor Roosevelt

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS