Superglue vs Jewelry Glue

This post has 9 Replies | 4 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 9
DOCami wrote
on Mar 13, 2010 1:25 PM

Is there really a difference b/t superglue and jewelry glue? I ask b/c I used superglue for one of my dangle earrings and the beads fell off b/c the superglue did not hold. It may be that there wasn't enough superglue on one part of the earrings. Please advise. 

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on Mar 13, 2010 1:40 PM

Well, jewely glue is not only specially created to hold onto metal as well as plastics, there is another reason why you better avoid using superglue. Superglue is not very skin-friendly, and thus you could react to it badly. you shouldn't have any problems with jewelry glue on that part.

Grtz, vanessa

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,477
ForumModerator
LinaG2 wrote
on Mar 13, 2010 2:25 PM

I use the hyp-d cement and it works just fine.  Superglue is only temporary.

Not Ranked
Posts 9
DOCami wrote
on Mar 13, 2010 2:59 PM

LinaG2:

I use the hyp-d cement and it works just fine.  Superglue is only temporary.

Would GS Hypo Cement be ok with Swarovski and beading wire?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,335
DebWAZ wrote
on Mar 13, 2010 5:17 PM

I second using GS Hypo cement for jewelry. BUT - both surfaces have to be flush (though that doesn't mean "slick"). Hypo cement doesn't fill cracks, so it often doesn't do well fixing broken stones. My first choice is Hypo cement, but I've used 527 and Duco with equal success. Duco works well for gluing dinosaur bones together.

Be VERY stingy when using super glue (or any cyanoacrylate). Less is better. If you use too much, it won't work. You also can't use it with some plastics because it will destroy the plastic.

How are you gluing the Swarovski on the beading wire? It depends on how much stress the connection will have.

Deb

Deb

azbeaddepot.blogspot.com

Not Ranked
Posts 9
DOCami wrote
on Mar 13, 2010 5:50 PM

Ok, I just bought some Beadalon Bead Stringing Glue, the lady at the store said it was the same as GS Hypo Cement. Will this work with Swarovski and beading wire?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,472
Evalie wrote
on Mar 21, 2010 11:32 PM

If you need to fill any small gaps between the items you're glueing use a two part epoxy. I use the two ton version and just let the items sit overnight to reach full strength. I've used it for years to repair jewelry and it has never failed on me...and the two ton version dries clear. (the 5 minute type comes in both clear and cream...so be careful when buying it...read label to find out color. ) Super glue usually dries brittle as well as having the drawbacks already mentioned. The glue you purchased....if it is like hypo.....should work for what you are doing if there are no gaps to fill.

Evalie

Massachusetts Coast

http://www.etsy.com/shop/4evadorn 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,191
Pam I am wrote
on Mar 22, 2010 3:41 AM

I would be careful what I used cyanoacrylate (superglue) on because it makes things brittle, not because it isn't skin friendly or any other reason.  It turns thread into a hard plastic-like mess which very easily breaks after just a little abrasion or stress.  Far from being unfriendly to skin though it can be used as an emergency substitute for stitches with very good results.  I once broke my thumbnail way down into the quick and superglue saved me lots of distress with it.  And it definitely isn't temporary.  I've gotten it off various things (broken crockery...cup handles, etc.) before by soaking them in 100% acetone for several days and even then it's stubborn.  Jeni, you're right, it doesn't fill gaps.  I've also found it's hopeless to repair glass with it, it just does not stick.  I don't know how the newer Hypo-Tube cement works but the older stuff washed right out with water when I used it...

Pam

Not Ranked
Posts 9
DOCami wrote
on Mar 22, 2010 10:48 AM

I have been using the Beadalon Bead Stringing Glue and I am not liking it. I used it on some earrings and let it dry overnight. I pulled on the beads to see if it would come loose and slowly but surely they started sliding off. So I have been using both the Stringing Glue (I like the way it drips into the gaps) and the super glue. Not sure how great of an idea it is to mix the two but my beads are staying put and thats what matters right now.

I appreciate all the tips from everyone and would love to hear anymore advice you might have. Thanks again!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 791
on Mar 28, 2010 9:38 AM

I think the best course of action is for you to post a picture of what you're trying to do.  Most of us are visual people and so without seeing specifically what you're putting glue onto and for what purpose, it's rather difficult for us to diagnose and recommend a course of action appropriately.  After we see what you need to do, someone invariably might have a better solution that would not include any glue at all.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS