Experimenting with Kumihimo

This post has 26 Replies | 3 Followers
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 868
MysticP wrote
on Feb 21, 2010 7:47 PM

OK, so after reading the free tutorial for that beaded Kumihimo bracelet, I decided that I had to try this. I had seen it on that DIY show with Jackie Guerra, but I hadn't yet tried it for myself.

First order of business: a Kumihimo disk. Not particularly expensive, and seem to be all over the internet. Now, I have 3 major Craft retailers in town, and none of them knew what I was talking about. One was almost deliberately dense about it. OK ... lets' try the internet.

Now, I order a lot over the internet, but I was a little impatient to get started on these. I found a disk for $5, but they wanted an additional $12 to ship it. Ummm ... I don't think so. Another place had it for $6, but there was a $7 minimum order, and there was nothing else there that I liked.

So finally, I happened across some templates for kumihimo disks. There are several out there, if you do a google image search. I happened to have some adhesive foam mounting board, which I cut to fit the template ... it's not particularly strong, but it works for my purposes. I intend to get the right cutting tip for my dremmel and make one out of a CD.

So after that little oddessy, this is the first thing I've made. Please don't mind the VERY rudimentary clasp... I dropped several stitches and the tension wasn't right in my first attempt, but I do like the overall effect. I used beading wire and glass pearls ... although I'm thinking of doing one with gold plated beading wire and white pearls

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,624
Cat_P wrote
on Feb 21, 2010 10:09 PM

Moira this is gorgeous!!! 

Great work :)

I got a kumihumi thingie for Christmas and can't wait to try it out! 

Cat     Blog  Artfire  Etsy

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,191
Pam I am wrote
on Feb 22, 2010 5:29 AM

Pretty!  Good work and thanks for the info!

Pam

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 711
LitaC2 wrote
on Feb 22, 2010 6:35 AM

Looks good, and definitely a great start. 

You may want to experiment with Super-C or C-Lon for the strands that don't have beads on them, just so that you can get a better feel for tension.  One of the things that makes kumihimo such a pleasure is the suppleness of the finished product, and using wire - even braided/coated material like Beadalon takes a bit of that away.  Also, since beading wire is coated and has no real surface texture, and is purposefully made to be slick/slippery, tension may be hard to achieve without kinking.  Even with the more traditional satin "rattail" material used by modern braiders (as opposed to the multistrand silk bundles) has a surface texture that allows the fibers to interlock within the braid.

Super-C or C-Lon (basically, Nymo's super heavy-weight cousin) has the same diameter as 22 gauge wire, and probably the same strength as copper, but unlike metal - it won't kink or break from overworking.

Lita

Please see my projects at Stoneheart Beads

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 922
on Feb 22, 2010 6:42 AM

Wonderful bracelet

OK Lina, I will admit, I am a 'closet Lina lurker, Oh Queen of Kumi", lol! Based on just your posts of all your wonderful Kumi creations, I purchased a 'wheel', they are calling it, some varigated color threads and bobbins, back in October...when you were posting pieces like mad! I haven't picked them up, since opening up the carton and looking closely, as I feel a bit intimidated. You are now mentioning "Super-C or C-Lon (basically, Nymo's super heavy-weight cousin)". I own every color of Nymo D, is this what I should be using for 'any' size beads, or should I purchase the C's? If I do create something this with gadget, I will more then likely be trying out 11/0 glass beads first, so again, what thread? I have no desire to 'hijack' this thread, but your bracelet has also inspired me to ask more detail questions Wink

Also, I just saw the added pictures you posted, very nice, but what thread did you use for the ones without beads? Again, I want to use beads, but heck, I'll absorb any info I can, from you, at this point! Big Smile (Did you know I am a loomer and can help you if you need it? LOL)

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,477
ForumModerator
LinaG2 wrote
on Feb 22, 2010 10:28 AM

Erin...you are hilarious!!!!!  I personally use the c-lon...however, some beads do not fit in c-lon so I do have to use nymo..it is just as stong.  11 size beads you have touse nymo...the c-lon does fit pearls and even 4 mm swarovski.  Anything pretty much with a tiny hole you will need to use the nymo if the c-lon won't go through.  I burn a candle and dip my ends of the c-lon so they don't frey and I use the nymo with a needle but forget abou the seed beads...get creative...use 6 or 8 or bigger of seed beads but only use maybe 1 or 2 threads.  Use regular beads for the thers...I like to put half of one bead on one side of th thread and half on the other nd you get a whole other look.  Don't be intimidated...it is soooo easy.   All you have to remember is that the hole of your kumi will have a tic tac toe diagram that forms with the thead...just ensure that your beads are below the thread and stay even with your beads...if you starting using 3 6s of green for example...when you go completely around...mak sure it always has 3 or it will not look even...so all your beads need to be even.

Yes, I do know you are a loomer...I have never learner that process but I have seen quite a few of you pieces.   Oh and by the way...you don't need bobbins...waste of money...to me, hey just get in the way but do buy yourself a weight...like a fishing weight about 2 ounces...you can get it at walmart and you tie a sting through the hole of the weight and then you wrap that to your cris-crossed thread  in the center of your circle of the kumi...this will way your piece down and always remember when looking at your piece...if you can see to much of your thread, it i not tight enough so pull all your threads to close the gaps...yo can also do this before you end your bracelet.   I haven't worked on one for a bit as I have been working on the different swaps, but did buy some turquoise to make one.  Let me know if you need any help. 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 922
on Feb 22, 2010 10:58 AM

Thank you so very much, for all the detail information. You have just helped me feel a bit more secure with starting something. However, right now I am in the middle of a new loom project, a cuff and doing a 'wild crazy new idea' , never tried....so Kumi will be next on my list!

LOL, I love that you didn't take my pribe! LOL...that was cute! LOL!  I thought I may have to offer my looming techniques for some insight to Kumi, but you are way to sweet!! LOL!!!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,486
Lody wrote
on Feb 23, 2010 10:20 AM

Moira, that is a pretty piece! I'm always amazed at everybody's knowledge of various techniques.

Erin, I have to admit that I didn't get the chance to visit your website in the past, until yesterday. You are soooooooo good... perfect... great at what you DO! I had to browse each page of your website but focused on your personal info.:) I do recall some of your pieces from FMG.:) It was a treat to look at your gallery pages. I drool, LITERALLY!  LOL

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 650
AndreaM226 wrote
on Feb 23, 2010 5:56 PM

So I guess I'm not going to find a kumihimo disk online, I haven't seen them at any of the craft shops where are you guys getting them?  I love your bracelet, very pretty. 

Andrea

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 868
MysticP wrote
on Feb 23, 2010 11:15 PM

Andrea, I found several online just by running a search for "kumihimo disk" on google shopping. There were several on e-bay. 

I like the idea of making my own, though .... I found one here:

http://hotteaapparel.blogspot.com/2008/08/make-kumihimo-disk-and-bracelet-part-1.html

and an image search found me several different templates. I'm still thinking of making one with an old CD, but I need the right tip for the dremmel (which I've finally managed to get from my husband!!!) before I can. 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 42
Fleur de Lys wrote
on Feb 24, 2010 1:56 AM

very nice indeed!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,471
ForumModerator
JSmaz wrote
on Feb 24, 2010 5:48 AM

I made my own disk and it was no problem.  I just used some thick cardboard and a template from a magazine article-piece of cake.  Not the most high tech thing but it was free. :)

I remember someone mentioning there was a kit on Amazon that had a disc and book together or some such, and it wasn't that expensive.

Jeni

Oklahoma City

ArtFire Studio & blog  |  Gallery 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,477
ForumModerator
LinaG2 wrote
on Feb 24, 2010 8:41 AM

Andrea...I buy them a lot from this guy on ebay who sells them for 5.99 which is rather cheap.  The first one I ever bought, cost me $15.   Here is his link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330400458810

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,477
ForumModerator
LinaG2 wrote
on Feb 24, 2010 8:43 AM

Moira, if you do make your own, I do not recommend you using a cd...it will fray the clon...just use some foam cardboard...

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 909
Cindy Daniel wrote
on Feb 24, 2010 10:06 AM

That is beautiful! I love how you changed from pearls to cyrstals on the sides.

Find my tutorials at: JewelryTales.com

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS