Photography

This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 1
AquarianArts wrote
on Feb 21, 2010 5:35 PM

Hi Everyone,

I was reading the rules regarding photography, and it states the piece must be entirely visible in the photograph... Does this mean the use of busts are not acceptable?

Thanks!!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on Feb 23, 2010 10:04 AM

If the rules state that the entire piece must be visible, then if you can use a bust and still show the entire piece, I think it would be acceptable. But that would be my thought. I have nothing to do with the Bead Star 2010 contest so please do not take this as confirmation or denial. You may have to wait for someone from the contest to answer or photograph your piece in a way that the entire piece is visible. 

Good Luck with your entry!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 620
Erin@76 wrote
on Feb 23, 2010 10:33 AM

These have been the rules since the first contest--they want to see the ENTIRE piece. That means they want to see the clasp, etc., which is usually hidden if you put it on a bust. That being said, they obviously don't enforce the rules much, since there were multiple pieces in the first and second contest which were on a bust and you couldn't see the whole piece.

I encourage everyone to read the rules carefully and follow them. If we could get an even playing field with all the photos sized the same, and showing the entire piece, I think it makes it much more fair to everyone.

Erin

www.studioEgallery.etsy.com

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Surfinclouds wrote
on Apr 9, 2010 6:26 PM

I wonder if a clear plastic or acrylic bust would work?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,471
ForumModerator
JSmaz wrote
on Apr 11, 2010 2:48 AM

That might work.  I think it also depends on your piece.  I submitted one of mine on a bust, but the same pattern repeats through the entire necklace, and I photographed it with the clasp showing since it's meant to be seen.  It's a bit of a judgment call really.

Jeni

Oklahoma City

ArtFire Studio & blog  |  Gallery 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,095
Sherri S. wrote
on Apr 3, 2011 6:14 PM

Hi everyone,

I have 5 days to submit my 2011 entry, and I need some advice - quickly.

The Bead Star rules say they want the picture to be 640 x 480 pixels.  When I take the photo so that it's 640 wide, there is a lot of white on either side of the piece.  If I turn the camera sideways and fill the lense with the jewelry piece, you can see more detail.  Only thing is, if I submit it 640x480, it's harder to imagine how the necklace will hang if the photo is sidways - do you know what I mean?  My photo would be much easier to see if it were 640 tall and 480 wide, without all that white space on the sides. 

So my question is this........is it acceptable to submit a 640x480 photo with the necklace turned sideways?

Sherri S.

Check out my Etsy Store......

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6321824

Check out my Etsy Beads Store.......

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=7141344

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,471
ForumModerator
JSmaz wrote
on Apr 3, 2011 6:53 PM

Sherri, as long as the dimensions are no more than that it doesn't have to be precise, and the photo can be oriented vertically or horizontally, whichever way fits the piece better.  It's better to take the pics large and then resize them later.  It's really easy to do with editing software.  I know Photoshop has a resize feature where you can choose the dimensions.  Crop it first, then rezise.  Hope that helps!

Jeni

Oklahoma City

ArtFire Studio & blog  |  Gallery 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 620
Erin@76 wrote
on Apr 4, 2011 10:17 AM

Hi Sherri,

The first 2 contests I took the dimensions literally and photographed my entries so they were laid out horizontally, even though they would have looked better photographed vertically. Then I noticed that many of the finalists were sized vertically (640 tall x 480 wide). And many were not sized correctly at all, but were cropped to a square size. So now I photograph my entries whichever way they work best to fill the frame--either vertically or horizontally. It seems to be OK either way. (I do still conform to the 640x480 or 480x 640 size, even though some others have not).

Erin S

www.studioEgallery.etsy.com

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS