Jumping on the 'What the heck is up with my thread' bandwagon...

This post has 12 Replies | 1 Follower
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 133
Aiyleta wrote
on Jan 31, 2010 8:44 PM

I just went to get back to working on a project, and took ~8 ft. of Nymo off of a bobbin.  (That much because I need to double it up.. big beads. :p)  This is what I see!

What on earth?  Thread should not look like that, straight off a bobbin, right? This is the worst of it, but the entire length has breaks and frazzles.  I've been seeing this more and more, and it's really starting to annoy me.  It's one of the reasons I started using Fireline a lot, but I still like to use Nymo for some projects, because the drape is nicer. 

Is there anything I can do?  The breaks are spaced out randomly, sometimes a couple/few of inches, sometimes a foot or so, never a consistent pattern - no spaces big enough that I could just use the stuff in between the breaks for small projects, or whatever.  I feel like I should return it, but I'm not sure where this particular bobbin came from, since I have so many. :P  I guess I should start labelling them when I get them, if I do get more.

Do any of you use Nymo from the big spools?  Is it any better?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 41
AlexiaL wrote
on Jan 31, 2010 8:50 PM

Nymo off the big spools is better to use. You will find it not to fray and be a mess like on the bobbins.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,145
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on Jan 31, 2010 9:03 PM

My 86 yr old neighbor uses "only Quilting Thread". She uses a chunk of beeswax (the hard kind)to treat the thread.  Has used it for many years.

I use the big spools of Thread  myself. I will be trying the Quilting Thead When what I have runs out.
I agree somethings Fireline is great! it was too stiff for my Amulet bags.

I had a bobbin of "D" Thread and threw the entire bobbin out, because it looked just like this, and it would break when I pulled on it. (Can't remember how long I had it or where I got it.)

I now keep my bobbins in a plastic baggie, Marked with when & where I got them and the size thead.

Good Question!Good Luck!

Gyspy Mary

Blessed are those who can Give, without remembering

and Take with out Forgetting

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 825
LYILHA wrote
on Jan 31, 2010 9:08 PM

Wow...that's terrible!  Okay first...I use Nymo all the time and I never end up with thread like that unless I picked at it or had already used it or something.  So a couple questions...how do you store your thread?  I have mine in a little bobbin doughnut.  I also put that in a ziplock so that the top of the thread isn't rubbing on something and causing breakage.  Also...it could have been where the shop-owner stored it.  I have used the large bobbins too and it is great.  I will say that you could end with the same result though depending on how its stored.

Northeast, Tennessee

~Kelly~

http://beadinblacknblue.blogspot.com/

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 133
Aiyleta wrote
on Jan 31, 2010 9:29 PM

I forgot to mention, it is size D Nymo. I do have beeswax and thread heaven, but it seems kind of pointless to even try working with that bit of shredded nonsense. D:  Do you know what kind of quilting thread, Mary?  I used to use sewing thread when I was younger, but I'm finding that the things I made back then are breaking, so I wouldn't want to use that.

This is how I store my bobbins.  I keep my extras in another tray, the same way.  Unless the lid is somehow rubbing on them (I ran my hand and a piece of thread over it ... nothing got caught, but I guess if they're wiggling around in there, it could be doing something.), I don't think it's the storage.  What do you think?  Hm.  The only thing is, none of the other bobbins in there have the same problem (those are my 'tried, tested, and true - so far' bobbins. lol).   I guess it would maybe have to be the shop owner, or a general defect of some sort.  I'm going to unwind that bobbin until I get to the point where none of the thread I'm unwinding was exposed, and see if it's all the same.  So much for beading time! '~'

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 825
LYILHA wrote
on Jan 31, 2010 9:38 PM

Ugh...yeah it sounds like its like you said...either the shop owner or a general defect!  Sorry dear, I would hate to have that issue too!!!

Northeast, Tennessee

~Kelly~

http://beadinblacknblue.blogspot.com/

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,145
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on Jan 31, 2010 9:45 PM

The Quilting Thread I saw on her bead tray was Coats & Clarks, and she said, "it cost a bit more than regular thread". She use to get it at Ben Franklins and Woolworths, and the thread was still too strong to break when I tested it. The little tap on top, said, Quilters Thread".

I will look tomorrow at Wal Mart, and see if they have any..

A Beader here (in St.David,AZ) in the RV Park told me today, she only uses the Nylon Sewing thread, and it never had a problem breaking. humm, don't know if I want to put my name on a finish piece with Nylon to sell. I might try it on an Amulet Bag for me...

Gyspy Mary

Blessed are those who can Give, without remembering

and Take with out Forgetting

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,471
ForumModerator
JSmaz wrote
on Feb 1, 2010 12:09 AM

Seems to me like you may have just gotten a bad batch unfortunately.  I can't say I've ever seen that problem with any of the bobbins I have.  For black and white I buy the large cones and they last me for YEARS.  I've had no issues with frays on them either.

I suppose if there's an LBS you visit regularly you might take it in and ask if they'll exchange it.  They may be able to return it to their distributor or to Nymo, I don't know.  Never hurts to ask.

Jeni

Oklahoma City

ArtFire Studio & blog  |  Gallery 

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 151
SandyA@16 wrote
on Feb 1, 2010 11:14 AM

Hi, I think that it is a manufactoring issue.  I also have had that same problem in the past but not with the whole bobbin.  Just a little bit now and then on a black  and a white bobbin.

I use cotton or  polyester quiting thread for my warp threads when I loom because it doesn't stretch.  I have not had any problems with any loom work  using quilting thread. I have not used it for any off loom work so I can't say how it would hold up. I will say to buy one of the more expensive brands.  Inexpensive threads are usually of poor quality, and the aggravation of working with them isn't worth the few pennies you'd save.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 30
coolmoon wrote
on Feb 1, 2010 9:29 PM

Yep, I've had the same problem lately.  I think maybe they've begun to scrimp on their manufacturing process.  I USED to SWEAR by Size D Nymo - ALWAYS used it, or C-LON thread and beeswax for everything.  Because I was starting to have such a problem, I have become a Fireline convert.  Either .6 or .4 doubled work the best for me.  The problem that I have encountered with this is an unusual one:   it is actually CUTTING me when I pull on it.  I have very tight tension, and use my pinky finger to tighten my thread around as I work.  I've noticed that since I've switched to Fireline, I actually have a slice/cut in the side of my finger - OWIE!  Hope I work up that callous pretty soon!
I hope the people that manufacture Nymo thread become aware of our plight - and fix it soon!  Until then - Fireline users, UNITE!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,471
ForumModerator
JSmaz wrote
on Feb 2, 2010 6:08 AM

I've never had any beading thread actually cut me, but I have had it rub my fingers raw.  If I know I'm going to be doing a project with a lot of stitching, I usually put a band aid where it's going to rub and it helps.  Not sure if the Fireline would cut through a band aid, but at least you'd have advance warning before it sliced your finger. Tongue Tied

Jeni

Oklahoma City

ArtFire Studio & blog  |  Gallery 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 572
Beadiecat wrote
on Feb 2, 2010 11:50 AM

LOL, I've had Fireline cut my pinkie too.  I finally started putting a bandaid on the area that gets cut.  It's a little awkward to work with the bandaid on, but it's better than being cut.

Cat

The Cat's Meow Blog

My RebelMouse page and Etsy shop

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,145
on Feb 26, 2010 2:30 PM

My Nymo is all at least 2 yrs. old and doesn't look like that!!  I have the tiny bobbins [about the same as a sewing machine bobbin], some that look like a hollow ball, and the large spools, and none of them are like that!!  Could you have gotten a bad batch??  Or as was mentioned, some that was incorrectly stored somewhere, where it shouldn't have been.  An email to the manufacturer of Nymo might get an answer on what could have happened . . .

Stan B.

Lakeland, MN

USA

Ignorance is curable; Stupidity has neither cure nor excuse.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS