What are Your Favorite Posts of 2009? Tell us!

This post has 13 Replies | 1 Follower
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 367
on Dec 13, 2009 11:51 AM

Quick poll! Which blogs were your favorites in 2009?

Just reply with a couple picks and a shortie  "because" for your choice.

Or, tell me in general which focus types you enjoyed most (and want more of!)--

blogs that contain a how-to

Favorite medium to feature (Beadwork, wirework, or other media)

Lots of inspiring eye-candy by other designers? 

Videos? Want more? Which medium?

Links to recommended store projects, books and products?

I already know you like free projects, of course–– me too!

I am so curious! Just comment here and I'll be checking in.

Hope your holiday season is already full of peace and beads.

Thanks--!

sleeplessbeader.blogspot.com

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,884
LoisB@23 wrote
on Dec 13, 2009 12:18 PM

oooohh.. I get to be first? WHat fun!

Ok, I ALWAYS love lots of eyecandy.... I always enjoy seeing other's work, gives me new ideas for my own.

I also have enjoyed the product highlights, when it's showing new ideas (like the resin post a few weeks ago) because sometimes I am afraid to try a new product/tech. because I know nothing about it.

WOuld love to see a bit more on some of the multi-media jewelry like the resin...

Perhaps an occasional style watch? as in, show us what's up and coming style wise... think the fashion mags "trend forcast"

Ok, there's my thoughts!

Lois

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 367
on Dec 13, 2009 12:27 PM

Thanks, Lois! Good feedback and ideas-- a fashion forecast, yeah. I like it! Let's see if others do, too. Thanks for being the first!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,471
ForumModerator
JSmaz wrote
on Dec 13, 2009 2:21 PM

I like the trend watch idea.  I hardly ever make jewelry based solely on what's 'in', but it's still nice to see what's new and exciting, and what colors are upcoming.

Articles about new products are always welcome (other than books and mags).

Wirework & mixed media jewelry definitely interests me, and of course eye candy. :)

Jeni

Oklahoma City

ArtFire Studio & blog  |  Gallery 

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 367
on Dec 13, 2009 2:29 PM

Thanks, Jeni--another vote cast for a trend watch. That interests me too. I wear colors I like, just as you do, BUT... the trends are what's out in stores, and  do in essence impact our choices in  everything, from clothing to wall paint to the colors in kitchen utensil handles!

Curious what mediums you'd like to mix...  Fiber, fabric, paper, found objects, wire and... beads and... ?

Thanks for your feedback!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,884
LoisB@23 wrote
on Dec 13, 2009 4:17 PM

OHOH! I had another idea.... what about a series that focuses on some of the unusual jewelry "styles"... vintage, steampunk, goth etc. I am not into any of these styles, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't like them if I knew more about them.

Lois

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 367
on Dec 13, 2009 4:21 PM

Oh, of course--and we've already been doing that! Did you catch Jean Campbell's Vampire couture goth style post? But as far as which products give those looks to pieces of jewelry, yes, I get your drift. Thanks Lois!--L

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,145
on Dec 13, 2009 8:06 PM

Unless posting on bd counts as blogging, I don't blog, nor do  facebook, nor tweet.  I use colors and beads which catch my eye, and get inspiration from books and magazines, and especially from bd.  Some I would never make, but they may get me to thinking about a 'related' use.

Stan B.

Lakeland, MN

USA

Ignorance is curable; Stupidity has neither cure nor excuse.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,143
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on Dec 13, 2009 9:42 PM

I belong to more than one online forum. I am always looking for "Free" 'How To" Tutorials, or patterns. Learning new stitches or techniques.

I can't follow a pattern, so I learn the stitches or techniques. I am always looking at the folks in Television, News etc to see what they are wearing for Accessories, Jewlery, etc. What Colors are in: in Vanity Fair, Glamour or More.

Occassionally I will watch a soap to see what they are wearing.

I subscribe to three of Interweave publications. I seek out others in the Libraries around the country.

I even not what the tellers at the bank are wearing for accessories. 

I have noted, I see more and More Hair Jewelry being worn by everyone.( anyone else notice it?)

Gyspy Mary

Blessed are those who can Give, without remembering

and Take with out Forgetting

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 620
Erin@76 wrote
on Dec 14, 2009 11:14 AM

I also like the idea of a trend watch, although I'm with Jeni--I never make anything based on what's trendy--its all about what I find that I like. I do love seeing new, unique products.

I'm not a bead weaver, so I don't care at all about the weaving posts. I would love to see more multi-media. Resin, wire, metal, (I'd love to learn about cold connections like riveting, etc.) and found objects are all very appealing to me.

And the eye candy is awesome--I love seeing what other designers are doing. I like when you feature books and show multiple pages/designs so I get a good idea what the book is like before buying. I will never buy a book based on seeing the cover and a verbal description.

Would love to see more challenges and contests as well.

Erin

www.studioEgallery.etsy.com

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,471
ForumModerator
JSmaz wrote
on Dec 15, 2009 1:00 PM

"Curious what mediums you'd like to mix...  Fiber, fabric, paper, found objects, wire and... beads and... ?"

All of the above and anything else you can think of that will mix with beadwork.  Doesn't even have to be jewelry per se.

Jeni

Oklahoma City

ArtFire Studio & blog  |  Gallery 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,711
cbreul wrote
on Dec 15, 2009 1:09 PM

JSmaz:

"Curious what mediums you'd like to mix...  Fiber, fabric, paper, found objects, wire and... beads and... ?"

All of the above and anything else you can think of that will mix with beadwork.  Doesn't even have to be jewelry per se.

Love this. Love the eye candy also.  Mixed Mediums would be Wonderful.

Courtney

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,711
cbreul wrote
on Dec 15, 2009 1:10 PM

JSmaz:

Love this. Love the eye candy also.  Mixed Mediums would be Wonderful.

Courtney

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,317
on Dec 19, 2009 12:05 AM

I third ( I think I'm third) the Trend Watch Fashion Forecast thing.....I never know what's "in" (or care most of the time) but I do think that it would be helpful when I'm stuck in a rut.

Maybe not just a focus on what colors are in and what the stars are wearing but do like a by style article...like Steampunk, Assemblage, Vintage Salvage, Wirework, Mixed-Media.....etc.  I loved the Vampire goth article...it was not quite me as far as style but the materials and ideas were fantastic! More articles like this please!

I'm not a bead weaver either....most of the time what get's my attention is the materials used in a piece...awesome lampwork beads....old watch cases....parts from old pieces, buttons...etc.

Maybe a Featured component article...what can you do with grandmas buttons...that piece of leather couch....that old necklace or brooch of your aunts....etc

Hope this helps!

Christina,

Rainy Pacific Northwest, Home of The Seahawks. 

http://vintagetreasuresjewelry.blogspot.com 

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS