New and easy jewelry idea to sell!

This post has 22 Replies | 1 Follower
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,099
Sherri S. wrote
on Oct 22, 2009 11:39 AM

I was in our local gift shop yesterday, and while the owner was on the phone, I noticed she had these beaded things hanging on a display.  I am very certain that they were meant to hang on a car's rear view mirror.  I thought to myself, I could very easily make something like that!  Although since I use mostly sterling silver, I had better start shopping for chain that doesn't tarnish.  I suppose brass would work, because although brass tarnishes, no one polishes brass!  Maybe copper would work as well.

The ones I saw were pretty cool and looked like they'd be easy to make.  They consisted of chain and a few glass beads, with a large bead at the bottom in a star shape.  Think of the possibilities!  Crosses, animals, an art deco shape, you name it!  On the end opposite the large bead at the bottom, it had a lobster clasp to make it easy to wrap around and attach it to a rear view mirror.  I think something like this would be a good seller!

Has anyone else made something like this for sale?  If so, did they sell well?

I guess I'd better get busy and make some for the December show!

Sherri S.

Check out my Etsy Store......

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6321824

Check out my Etsy Beads Store.......

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=7141344

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,877
MelindaB@14 wrote
on Oct 22, 2009 11:50 AM

Hi Sherri ~ Car jewelry is quite popular here in Juneau.  I've made some for family & friends but haven't tried to sell it though they all thought it would be a great seller also, I'm just not into selling yet.  Good Luck!  They are fun, easy & quick to makeCool

MelindaB ~ Juneau, Alaska USA

When you dream ... what are you wearing?

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about Learning to Dance in the rain!

Authors UNKNOWNEmbarrassed

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,624
Cat_P wrote
on Oct 22, 2009 12:18 PM

Sounds pretty cool to me! I might have to make one for myself now!

I have the very first necklace I ever made hanging in my rear view mirror. Don't know why I didn't ever take it down, it's just still there. It was my first trial with beading wire to create an illusion type necklace.

Anyway, I really like the idea of the chain with beads! I think they would sell well!

Cat     Blog  Artfire  Etsy

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,144
on Oct 22, 2009 1:00 PM

How about just using an earwire so it could be easily put on and taken off?  I need to see the clasp to fasten/unfasten it, unless you mean 'fasten the LC clasp around the chain.'

Stan B.

Lakeland, MN

USA

Ignorance is curable; Stupidity has neither cure nor excuse.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 157
on Oct 22, 2009 2:45 PM

I know that in some countries having a rosary around your mirror is meant to keep you safe in traffic, and in Thailand everybody puts a jasmin and nut string around the mirror for the same purpose. I have a little purple felt kitty, a undead dolly and a black rosary with cross at my mirror.... Though I'm not religious I like to think it's a little thing to keep me safe, as long as it's not disturbing my view at the road! 

-xo-
 Kimmie!

I bead and bead and bead and bead... And when I am not beading, I am taking pictures of my beadwork, blogging about it, or trying to sell it here and here...
Please take a look around, and let me know what you think...

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,099
Sherri S. wrote
on Oct 22, 2009 8:46 PM

CrystalCubeBead.:

How about just using an earwire so it could be easily put on and taken off?  I need to see the clasp to fasten/unfasten it, unless you mean 'fasten the LC clasp around the chain.'

Stan, I do mean to fasten the lobster claw clasp to the chain.  And the LC clasp will be big enough to see!  I should be attempting to make one instead of reading threads on the BD!  I have some swarovski pendants that would make a great drop on the end of these!  I want to make them affordable though, so they will get snatched up in a second.

Sherri S.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 815
LisaKwaj wrote
on Oct 22, 2009 10:28 PM

Chrystallinya:
as long as it's not disturbing my view at the road!

Kimmie, that was my concern.  Call me an old lady, but I don't like to have anything in my view that might either obstruct or distract my view.  I love pretty little sparkly things, but if I were to hang one on my rear view mirror (assuming I actually had one Wink), I'd want to admire the pretty sparklies instead of concentrating on the road, kwim?

Sorry, Sherri, I know it's a shocker since we almost always agree, but I don't think this one's a good idea.  Of course, if it's all the rage in the States, though, you might as well make a few bucks off it!!!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,471
ForumModerator
JSmaz wrote
on Oct 23, 2009 1:23 AM

That is an interesting idea Sherri.  I might have to try something like that just to see if it works.  I guess you could also call it purse bling too if someone doesn't want to put it in their car...

Jeni

Oklahoma City

ArtFire Studio & blog  |  Gallery 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,099
Sherri S. wrote
on Oct 23, 2009 12:36 PM

Lisa:

Kimmie, that was my concern.  Call me an old lady, but I don't like to have anything in my view that might either obstruct or distract a driver's view.  I love pretty little sparkly things, but if I were to hang one on my rear view mirror (assuming I actually had one Wink), I'd want to admire the pretty sparklies instead of concentrating on the road, kwim?

Sorry, Sherri, I know it's a shocker since we almost always agree, but I don't think this one's a good idea.  Of course, if it's all the rage in the States, though, you might as well make a few bucks off it!!!

Lisa, you can disagree with me anytime and it wouldn't bother me a bit (most of the time, anyway!).  If we all agreed about everything, life would be boring!

I have a set of worry beads hanging from my rear view mirror and they have been there for 9 years.  They don't obstruct my view.  If I were to make this car jewelry, I wouldn't make anything big enough to obstruct a driver's view of the road.  It would hang down maybe 3 to 5 inches, and the bead at the bottom wouldn't be any bigger than 20mm.  I don't think that a 20mm bead is going to block anyone's view of the road - KWIM?  Wink  I also wouldn't make anything sparkly or expensive-looking enough to tempt someone to breaking into someone's car.  Hence, with my planned designs, you wouldn't feel the driving desire to gaze at your car jewelry rather than watch the road!   Cool *grinz*

Sherri S.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 815
LisaKwaj wrote
on Oct 27, 2009 1:00 AM

OK, call me an old lady!  This summer on our road trip, I wouldn't even let the kids put a map on top of the dash -- it distracted me too much.  Maybe that means I'm easily distracted -- not news to me!  Embarrassed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 565
Beadiecat wrote
on Oct 27, 2009 2:20 AM

Here, we also use that type of jewelry to decorate cell phones.  You can buy a special type of small "lanyard" with a split ring on it, and there is usually a spot on your cell phone to loop it around.

Cat

hmmmmm....that sounds very confusing the way I wrote it.  Is it?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 620
Erin@76 wrote
on Oct 27, 2009 10:34 AM

I never hang anything on my rearview mirror because I live in San Diego and drive a convertible. It would be way too easy for somebody to walk by and steal something out in plain view.

That being said, I can imagine many different uses for somthing like that. Someone already mentioned purse and cell phone bling, but you could also find places to hang this in your home or office to just add some sparkle. Also, when I lived in the frozen north, people used to attach things like that to the zipper pull on their ski parkas in the winter.

Erin

www.studioEgallery.etsy.com

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 650
AndreaM226 wrote
on Oct 27, 2009 4:45 PM

As soon as I read about the rear view mirror charms I thought about purse charms. 

I made a purse charm for my son's girlfriend - she got a lot of compliments on it and referred about ten people to me who all commissioned something similar.  I sold them for $25. to $40. depending on the materials used.  I've posted a picture of the purse charm that I made for Callie (my son's girlfriend) it's the one with the bunny.  The other is one of the more expensive commissions.  They are about 6 - 7" in length and are made to be wrapped around a purse handle a couple of times.  They look really cute on the girls purses.  I'm definately planning to include them in my etsy shop.  I really should have photographed them on a purse but you get the idea. 

PurseCharmCallie001.jpg purse charm picture by butterfly226_photos

bunnyfrompanni003.jpg purse charm picture by butterfly226_photos

Andrea

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,877
MelindaB@14 wrote
on Oct 27, 2009 5:11 PM

Andrea ~ Those are both very colorful & creative.  Thank your for sharingCool

MelindaB ~ Juneau, Alaska USA

When you dream ... what are you wearing?

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about Learning to Dance in the rain!

Authors UNKNOWNEmbarrassed

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,260
Billy Z wrote
on Oct 30, 2009 10:00 AM

I've made a number of Rosaries for rearview mirrors myself. I usually make a single or double decade with a center and a Crucifix. With a single, I have to put a clasp of some sort to get it on, but doubles will normally slide right over them. I usually put a jumpring into one side of the center and the clasp on the end of the decade to attach it. The ones that I made were with specific vehicles in mind and I did them in either matching and/or contrasting colors to the interior of the vehicle in mind. My ex-wife has a brown honda with camel/grey interior and I made hers from tigereye and copper beads with a silver center and Crucifix. It looks awesome. 

Billy ;o)

I yam wut I yam and dats all wut I yam. ~Popeye~

Dragonfly Jewelry Designs - ArtFire Artisan Studio

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS