Sidewinder pattern?

This post has 26 Replies | 3 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 8
SandyL@12 wrote
on Oct 10, 2009 2:23 PM

I've searched and searched online for a pattern for the sidewinder bracelet.  I started one with a teacher and brought the bracelet home to finish. Teacher is traveling and not available.  Now I would like to have the pattern. If you know where I could find it, I would be most appreciative.  thanks.

Sandy

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 569
Beadiecat wrote
on Oct 10, 2009 3:33 PM

That is a pet peeve of mine, when teachers give classes and don't give you a pattern to take home so you can finish.

Anyway, I found a picture of a 'sidewinder' bracelet, here, and it looks like the same bracelet that I know as a Flat Spiral.  The Flat Spiral pattern can be found as a video on You-Tube by Auntie's beads, here.

Good luck finishing your bracelet!

Cathi

The Cat's Meow Blog

My RebelMouse page and Etsy shop

Not Ranked
Posts 8
SandyL@12 wrote
on Oct 10, 2009 5:59 PM

Thank you Cathi, it is very close to what we were taught and I will use it.  Thank you so much for pointing it out to me. 

Sandy

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,143
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on Oct 11, 2009 9:47 AM

Hi Sandy,

Thanks for your post. As a "Beginning Beading Teacher", I always try to have a written pattern. I will make sure to have the written pattern in the future.

I do have a hand written "Side Winder Bracelet Pattern", if you'd like, I can scan and E-Mail it, or will be happy to drop a copy off to via "regular Post Office". Email me and let me know, how I can help.

I saw the video, however, I have to see the finished item or written instructions..

Mary

Ps. My apology if this is a pattern you? created, No one has ever been able to tell me who created it.

Gyspy Mary

Blessed are those who can Give, without remembering

and Take with out Forgetting

Not Ranked
Posts 8
SandyL@12 wrote
on Oct 11, 2009 3:44 PM

That would be incredible if you would email it to me.  Thank you so very much.

A friend was teaching a group of us how to do this bracelet.  I didn't get mine finished (and then proceeded to run out of thread)so I thought it was trashed. However, now that I know how to tie on a thread (thanks to Kathy's response) I can finish it, but would feel better if I could have the written instructions.  My email address is lakelewis@gmail.com

Again, thank you so much! I hope that someday I will be able to offer assistance to someone here. 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 569
Beadiecat wrote
on Oct 11, 2009 5:42 PM

Gyspy Mary:
PS. My apology if this is a pattern you? created, No one has ever been able to tell me who created it.

I bought the pattern at my local bead store.  The written instructions that I have for it (and which call it "Crystal Herringbone", LOL) say this about the origin:

"Liz Smith designed this pattern.  It first appeared in Bead and Button as a multi strand and then in Beaders Stash as a lariat.  With her permission we have made bracelet instructions."

I have worked it up both the way it is shown, and as a thicker bracelet by adding another row to it.  It really looks nice that way, and when done in matte colors can even be worn by a man without looking feminine.

Cathi

PS - Liz Smith Designs.com is her website.

The Cat's Meow Blog

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,145
on Oct 11, 2009 7:10 PM

Hey, thanks for pointing me to the video!!  Very clear!  One more thing on my to do list.  . . . Hmm

Stan B.

Lakeland, MN

USA

Ignorance is curable; Stupidity has neither cure nor excuse.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,143
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on Oct 11, 2009 11:53 PM

Thanks Cathi, I will do a wee bit of searching to find Liz Smith.I like to give credit where its due. I always ask before teaching or sharing a pattern.

some times folks say NO! Ok by me. If they say No, then I don't use their pattern.

I like to put the website on the bottom of the instructions. That way if anyone really likes a designers style, they can contact them.

Meanwhile, I will E mail my hand written copy tomorrow.(to those who requested it)

Mary

Gyspy Mary

Blessed are those who can Give, without remembering

and Take with out Forgetting

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 569
Beadiecat wrote
on Oct 12, 2009 2:12 AM

Gyspy Mary:

Thanks Cathi, I will do a wee bit of searching to find Liz Smith.

I put a link to her website in my post.  It's on the "P.S." 

Thanks for emailing out your directions to the ones who need them.  I can't send mine because they're copyrighted.

Some designers really say NO when you ask if you can teach their pattern?  I wonder why, that makes no sense to me.  I could see them asking each student to buy their own copy of the instructions for the class, but do they expect each person to buy it and fumble through on their own with no help if they are having trouble?

Cathi

The Cat's Meow Blog

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Finely Done wrote
on Jun 19, 2010 5:10 PM

Here's a link to the instructions

http://web.archive.org/web/20040810073026/howlingrabbit.com/Projects/Side/Side.html

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 203
lsmoore wrote
on Jun 22, 2010 3:47 PM

Ok, so I'm totally confused now.  When I looked at the instructions for the sidewinder, it is a different stitch from the flat spiral.  Would love to see a pic of the bracelet you started in the class.  Always enjoy learning new stitches! 

Blessings,

Shirley

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,788
Cathy wrote
on Jun 23, 2010 7:05 PM

Yes, I agree, Shirley.  This Sidewinder pattern is different than the Flat Spiral I did at Christmas.  It's pretty, but it is different than the Flat Spiral I did.

Cathy

Baton Rouge, Louisiana

"What matters in life is not great deeds, but great love." - St. Therese of the Child Jesus

"The laughter of a child is the light of a house" - unknown

Not Ranked
Posts 16
LauraH@70 wrote
on Aug 25, 2010 12:39 PM

Gyspy mary, hi do you still give out copies for that sidewinder. I would really like to get one. please E-mail @  alherrera1@cox.net,  Thank- you very much & if not please give me a reply.. laura H

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS