8.6 Magnitude Earthquake in Samoa ... Kwajalein under Tsunami Watch - BD Member in Danger?

This post has 18 Replies | 3 Followers
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 711
LitaC2 wrote
on Sep 29, 2009 3:42 PM

I was just told that there was a massive earthquake in the Samoa Islands, and it is unknown at this time whether a tsunami has formed; however, the Marshall Islands are under a tsunami watch. 

Our dear friend and BD member, Lisa Tracy lives on Kwaj.  Hopefully, she and her husband have been evac'd to high ground. 

Lisa - when you get a chance, please let us know you're okay.

(My company is doing work on the atoll, and my guys have choppered out of several of the smaller islands, which is how I know this).

Lita

Please see my projects at Stoneheart Beads

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,624
Cat_P wrote
on Sep 29, 2009 4:12 PM

I am praying she is ok!

Sherri- don't you have her phone number? Could you possibly call her? I know it's a long shot the phones would even be working but it's a thought.

Cat     Blog  Artfire  Etsy

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 515
Shawna18 wrote
on Sep 29, 2009 4:36 PM

oh my. Lisa and all those involved are in my prayers.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,877
MelindaB@14 wrote
on Sep 29, 2009 4:59 PM

Prayers for all in the area, especially Lisa & her family.

I did find this online, so maybe they won't get hit too bad:

http://www.angelfire.com/hi2/kwa/0liv.html

"Tsunami's are very, very rare. Although any low-lying area might be subject to some degree of damage from a tsunami, the ocean "wall" (steep slope) below the surface surrounding Kwajalein would likely help to mitigate the impact of a tsunami."

Here's a tsunami watch page also for more up-to-date information: http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/3344261/Tsunami_happening_in_S_Pacific

MelindaB ~ Juneau, Alaska USA

When you dream ... what are you wearing?

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about Learning to Dance in the rain!

Authors UNKNOWNEmbarrassed

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,335
DebWAZ wrote
on Sep 29, 2009 6:26 PM

ShawnaM:

oh my. Lisa and all those involved are in my prayers.

They are in mine too. Hoping for minimal damage and no tsunami.

Deb

Deb

azbeaddepot.blogspot.com

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 711
LitaC2 wrote
on Sep 29, 2009 7:51 PM

Just heard from Lisa (I had sent her an email when I first heard):

Hi, Lita!  Yep, I'm just fine, as is the rest of the island.  Except for this awful cold I've had for the past week.  Lost my voice this morning when I was talking on the phone with my dad (he called to check on me, too).

Turns out that we don't get tsunami's out here in the Marshalls.  It's geographically impossible.  Seems that tsunami's require a gradual up-slope of the ocean floor to form, and because our islands are the rims of ancient volcanoes, if you go about 100 yards off the ocean side of the island, it's about a mile deep.  A wall, no gradual up-slope at all.  Great for diving!  I haven't heard the figure yet, but we probably got a surge of about an inch or so as a result of the earthquake.  That's about the worst tsunami we get out here.  Which is a good thing when your entire island is no more than 5' above sea level!

You're so sweet, thanks for checking on me!  (((((HUGS)))))

WHEW!

Please see my projects at Stoneheart Beads

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,711
cbreul wrote
on Sep 30, 2009 6:36 AM

Thank you very much Lita.  I am so glad that she is ok.

cb

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 825
LYILHA wrote
on Sep 30, 2009 7:25 AM

Oh wow...I am SO glad your okay Lisa!!!  When I read Lita's post it scared me!!

Northeast, Tennessee

~Kelly~

http://beadinblacknblue.blogspot.com/

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,788
Cathy wrote
on Sep 30, 2009 8:20 PM

I'm glad, too, Lisa's OK.  Thanks Lita.

Cathy

Baton Rouge, Louisiana

"What matters in life is not great deeds, but great love." - St. Therese of the Child Jesus

"The laughter of a child is the light of a house" - unknown

Not Ranked
Posts 2
michael123 wrote
on Mar 25, 2010 6:09 AM

hi,Man oh man...tis one of them days! I couldn't even find it with the link...lol...but since it is ccna questions one of THOSE days...I probably couldn't find my own tush with both hands and a flashlight right now ccna voice yup

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,471
ForumModerator
JSmaz wrote
on Mar 25, 2010 9:04 AM

Good grief, what is it with all the earthquakes lately?  Seems like they're coming one after another.  Glad to know everything is ok Lisa.

I'm guessing Samoa is too far out to have much effect on Indonesia?  Don't know if Kay should have to be concerned for tsunamis, but there's so many islands there it might just dissipate.  Don't know how that works.

Jeni

Oklahoma City

ArtFire Studio & blog  |  Gallery 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,486
Lody wrote
on Mar 25, 2010 10:04 AM

So glad Lisa's ok. I hope the earthquake did minimal dmages only... with no loss of life.

Earthquakes are soooooo scary. I've experienced a terrible one back home when I was in High School... lots of buildings collapsed, ended up with thousands of people who died.:( The panic and trauma was unbearable. Recently, my Mom told me it looks like there'll be one soon, per news advisory! Needless to say, the community's been busy with vigils and rosaries (Catholics). 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,099
Sherri S. wrote
on Mar 25, 2010 12:59 PM

Jeni and Lody,

Did you realize that Mike brought this discussion thread back to life from last September?  That earthquake and tsunami threat on Kwaj took place in 2009. 

But you're right Jeni, there's still been too many earthquakes lately.

Sherri S.

Check out my Etsy Store......

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6321824

Check out my Etsy Beads Store.......

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=7141344

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,471
ForumModerator
JSmaz wrote
on Mar 26, 2010 1:24 AM

This is really weird, because before I read this post yesterday I'm positive I saw a headline on CNN's website that said there was another earthquake in that area yesterday, but I didn't read the article.  Then I saw this post and assumed it was the same thing-didn't even look at the date.

I went back to search for it today and couldn't find anything except the one that was in the Phillipines on the same day.  Wonder if it really happened or if it was a glitch?

Jeni

Oklahoma City

ArtFire Studio & blog  |  Gallery 

Not Ranked
Posts 1
srfrider1 wrote
on Mar 12, 2011 11:53 AM

Is this Lita that worked on Kwaj back in the 90s? thanks

Cory

Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS