Cheesey Bead Kit subscription

This post has 29 Replies | 3 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 21
BDT Studio wrote
on Sep 19, 2009 6:02 PM

I got suckered into a bead kit subscription that brings a new kit each month. I thought it would be a nice way to learn some techniques and maybe have a few Christmas gifts to give. Tonight I sat down to work on one and in a few minutes I was so disgusted I threw the whole thing in the garbage. I can't return it for a refund because I already opened it and started it before I realized the lack of quality. I may be a beginner at this but I immediately realized I had cheap plastic silverpainted components, the kind that the "silver" will quickly rub off, and plastic "crystal" beads. Even the crimps were crappy, the one I tried to use split open upon being crimped.

I don't suppose it is permitted to mention the name of this company but I sure wish I could so I could warn people away from them and save their money. So, this is just a general caveat on kits. I am sure there are plenty of legitimate companies out there selling kits with decent quality components, so just be careful to examine the parts and send them back before it is too late, like it was for me.

Barb

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 293
Mikki335 wrote
on Sep 19, 2009 6:22 PM

It sucks that you had that experience. I feel for ya!

As someone who designs and makes kits I've looked at the mass produced ones and they seem all packaging and no substance.  There are kits out there like mine and many others which come with back up....we don't want people to be unhappy and want to sell good quality kits.  Most of us give e-mail priviledges so you have help if you get stuck.  Plus....if you don't like it you can actually contact the person who put it together.

I hope you aren't tied into a subscription.

Mikki

Not Ranked
Posts 21
BDT Studio wrote
on Sep 19, 2009 6:41 PM

Thanks for the sympathy, Mikki! I just needed to vent I guess. Luckily it was the type of subscription which I could cancel, and I did tonight, but first I contacted customer service and told them exactly why I was canceling. It remains to be seen if they respond.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,877
MelindaB@14 wrote
on Sep 20, 2009 9:58 AM

Hi Barb ~ I know it not nice to speak ill of others but I also know that in the past there have been posts that include names of companies/people to avoid due to misrepresentation of quality.  I guess it up to you if you want to spare others from your mistake since as you did point out there are lots of good kits out there.  In fact I have been thinking about joining one of those "Kits Of The Month" to share with my nieces & sister-in-laws, so any advice would be most welcomeCool

MelindaB ~ Juneau, Alaska USA

When you dream ... what are you wearing?

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about Learning to Dance in the rain!

Authors UNKNOWNEmbarrassed

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,471
ForumModerator
JSmaz wrote
on Sep 20, 2009 10:10 AM

I agree with Melinda-if the kit is that bad I'd like to know about it.  A fair warning about legitimately bad quality items is different from just slamming someone because you happened to be disappointed.

Jeni

Oklahoma City

ArtFire Studio & blog  |  Gallery 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,143
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on Sep 20, 2009 10:10 AM

Oh! dear, I feel for you.  Thank You for sharing with us.

I would love to know the company? please E Mail me? or Post the name, which ever your comfortable with. I have been thinking of "I should join one".

I know many RV-ers who only work with kits.(no stash, no storage)They all swear by kits.

The rule of thumb,(so I am told) is,

#1. Check kits out closely for content and quality.

#2. Must have E-Mail for questions?

#3. It must have a refundabilty, for $$ or products.

The Muselll is my first kit.

Thank You,

Mary

Gyspy Mary

Blessed are those who can Give, without remembering

and Take with out Forgetting

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Tnowotny wrote
on Sep 20, 2009 10:17 AM

HI Barb,

I've seen some of those kits and can sympathize.  Their is a site that offers really good quality kits.  They aren't by subscription and some can be pretty pricey but you get everything you need and the quality is excellent..

Check out beadseast.com.  I'm lucky because I live in CT where the actual store is and can see them in person, but I can vouch for the quality.

Teresa

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 293
Mikki335 wrote
on Sep 20, 2009 10:37 AM

Ok...I'm going to shamelessly promote my kits because I know they are good quality, good prices and come with back up.   If you go to my Artfire studio www.artfire.com/users/mikkiferrugiarodesigns take a look at my 'Learn-a-Stitch' patterns, though I don't have those kits up at the moment all of those patterns are available as kits. Great for bead weaving beginners.

I'm in the process of changing the kits since I found a supplier for Swarovskis that allows me to include them in the kits without having the kits become too expensive.  For BD forum members I will sell the kits with the beads shown for $15 and you get to choose a color...e-mail me a color sample and I'll do my best to match the kit to it.

All my kits come with a glossy fully illustrated instruction booklet.

I'm not usually so pushy...so I apologize if I offended anyone.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,143
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on Sep 20, 2009 10:45 AM

Thank You, Nothing pushy about saving a BD friend, from a "disasterous kit".

If we aren't happy, we know your E-MailWink.

I will be ordering a kit or two, for "gifts". I could make my own, but that would take me away from the BD forum, and beading. I would cry,( I am so ugly when I cry.  [:'(][:'(]

Mary

Gyspy Mary

Blessed are those who can Give, without remembering

and Take with out Forgetting

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 620
Erin@76 wrote
on Sep 20, 2009 1:08 PM

Hey Barb,

I would be furious if I paid good money for a kit and when it came it was cheesy plastic beads.

I would definitely dig it out of the trash and ask the company for a refund, clearly stating the reason why. Even if they don't give you one, they will at least know you were unsatisfied.

And, since their quality is so bad, I hope you will post the name of the company as others have also encouraged. That way, we all know not to buy from them, and its also a lesson to them (and a cautionary tale to others) that if you have poor quality, word will get around! Viral marketing at its finest!

Erin

www.studioEgallery.etsy.com

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Tnowotny wrote
on Sep 20, 2009 3:24 PM

Mikki,

You aren't pushy, your kits look great.  If I offended you by putting out the other info, please accept my apology.

Teresa

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,335
DebWAZ wrote
on Sep 21, 2009 1:49 PM

Mikki, my dear girl - we MUST talk!

I don't sell kits except some little Miyuki Mascots, but people always ask if I have beginner kits or kits in general. I'll e-mail you off list to chat further, okay?

Deb

Deb

azbeaddepot.blogspot.com

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 293
Mikki335 wrote
on Sep 21, 2009 3:23 PM

Teresa.....no offense taken att all :)

Deb.....cool!

Not Ranked
Posts 21
BDT Studio wrote
on Sep 22, 2009 10:31 AM

Thanks for the comments, everyone, and thanks, Mikki, for posting a link to your kits, I was going to ask for that anyway.

So, ok, if you guys are sure it is not breaking a rule or something, here are the particulars:

I joined Simply Beads of the Month Kit Club, http://www.simplybeadskitclub.com/

and the parent company is Annie's Attic,http://www.anniesattic.com/

which markets kit of the month club for several different crafts. The first kit was around $12 (discounted) the second one was over $20. As I understand their return policy the kit has to be returned intact.

So it was an expensive lesson on remembering to inspect such things before it is too late to return it.

Caveat emptor, as they say.

Barb

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,877
MelindaB@14 wrote
on Sep 22, 2009 11:01 AM

Thank you very much Barb... that is exactly the kit I was looking to order for my nieces.  Off to find another ideaWink

MelindaB ~ Juneau, Alaska USA

When you dream ... what are you wearing?

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about Learning to Dance in the rain!

Authors UNKNOWNEmbarrassed

Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS