Oxidizing my own wire

This post has 16 Replies | 5 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 25
Wanda W wrote
on Aug 8, 2009 10:55 PM

Hey all my family thinks I am nuts as I have many jars with wire strung in them.  I have been oxidizing Brass wire and Copper Wire w/ Ammonia fumes and Sterling Silver wire with the hot hard boiled eggs.  this has been fun and allowed me to be more creative with the variety of oxidized wire.  I am curious if any of you are also doing this, Thanks Wanda

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,191
Pam I am wrote
on Aug 9, 2009 2:03 AM

I've never used ammonia or hard boiled eggs Wanda.  I've oxidized finished pieces with liver of sulfur so that I don't mar the patina with any tools while I'm working on it and then I polish the high points leaving the recessed areas oxidized.  I have heard that hard boiled eggs work well over time, I like liver of sulfur because it's much faster. 

Pam

Not Ranked
Posts 25
Wanda W wrote
on Aug 9, 2009 8:53 PM

Hey Pam, I had to use Liver of Sulfer in College and I rIemember the smell.  I have gotten more sensitive to chemicals over the years so this works well for me right not. Of course my family thinks I am nuts, especially my teenagers. Wanda

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,471
ForumModerator
JSmaz wrote
on Aug 9, 2009 10:58 PM

I can understand the smell sensitivity.  You're braver than I am just for playing with ammonia!  I can't stand the smell of it, and I avoid cleaning products that have it.  Bleach is the same.  I don't use it unless I absolutely have to, preferably with windows wide open.

Jeni

Oklahoma City

ArtFire Studio & blog  |  Gallery 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,191
Pam I am wrote
on Aug 10, 2009 5:31 AM

It does smell Wanda, you're right, and I remember you saying something to that effect now that you mention it...    I do my oxidizing outside because of that.  Being sensitive to odors certainly is a concern!  Are the methods you're using working well?  I've never done those.

Pam

Not Ranked
Posts 25
Wanda W wrote
on Aug 10, 2009 6:01 AM

Yes I do my set up and take apart outside, but the ammonia is very contained, you only need about 1/2 inch in the bottom of a jar.  It works really well for Brass and Copper.  It takes a couple of hours, Less if I remember to wash the metal in soap and water first. I am sure Liver of Sulphur is quicker and more commonly used,  I just like the idea that I can do this cheaply and anytime I need a certain type of wire oxidized without having to pick up any special supplies.  I am still home on this medical leave with time to experiment. Thanks Wanda

Not Ranked
Posts 1
heron wrote
on Apr 15, 2010 12:21 PM

Hi Pam,

Where can I purchase Liver of Sulfur?

Thanks,

Pat

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 620
Erin@76 wrote
on Apr 15, 2010 6:38 PM

I would suggest the new gel form of liver of sulfur, which is much more user friendly and has a WAY longer shelf life. You can get it at www.monsterslayer.com for about $8. They may call it "patina gel." I can't remember for sure, but its listed under their metal working products with darkening agents. I love it!

Erin

www.studioEgallery.etsy.com

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,191
Pam I am wrote
on Apr 16, 2010 2:46 AM

Pat, welcome to the forums.  You can find liver of sulfur at a number of places that sell beads, sterling silver, etc.   This is an interesting article, good information: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/searchq=cache:SbwkwMhRI10J:www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nenam/liver_of_sulfur.htm+liver+of+sulfur&cd=1&hl=nl&ct=clnk&gl=nl

I keep mine in it's container which is also inside two plastic bags to keep the moisture out of it and also to keep the smell inside of it.  I've never used the gel form but it sounds interesting...

Fire Mountain Gems has it, I think this is in solution: http://www.firemountaingems.com/search.asp?skw=liver+of+sulfur and so does Rio Grande: http://www.riogrande.com/MemberArea/SearchPage.aspx?page=GRID&free_text|1271408064625=liver%20of%20sulfur and I'm sure lots of other jewelry supply places have it too.

Pam

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 620
Erin@76 wrote
on Apr 16, 2010 9:56 AM

Pam, if you want to see the gel in action, there is a great free video which demonstrates how to use it at www.cooltools.us/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=POL-800Parent&CartID=0

You can buy it there too, but its a little cheaper at monsterslayer. You don't have to worry about it going bad like the chunks, and you can just use a tiny bit if you only have a small amount to do (like I usually do), rather than having to use a whole chunk. You have a lot more control of how much you use.

Erin

www.studioEgallery.etsy.com

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,191
Pam I am wrote
on Apr 17, 2010 3:46 AM

Thank you Erin.  I have a big plastic tub of chunks though that I've had at least for seven years, probably longer, that work very well so I don't need anymore.  I have no experience with the chunk liver of sulfur going bad, this is still very good.  What I do for control works well too, I just add a couple of chunks to about a cup of water and let it cool down to a little less than "hot coffee" and then I dip the piece (I tie some monofilament fishing line to it to hold onto it) and take it out, dip it, take it out, dip it again, etc., until I like the color.  Then I wash it with dish soap and water to stop the chemical reaction. 

I have kept the chunks very well sealed inside the original plastic tub and then inside a plastic bag, then inside another plastic bag...they've kept for these seven years and still work really well...  I didn't even know they could go bad, there's no sign of it with these...

Pam

Not Ranked
Posts 2
NickieK wrote
on Mar 19, 2011 4:30 PM

Hi everybody

Does , anyone know where I can purchase Liver of Sulfate in the Oklahoma City/Edmond, OK area?  Thanks! Nickie

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,471
ForumModerator
JSmaz wrote
on Mar 20, 2011 5:00 PM

That's a good question actually.  I did a bit of searching and Sears of all places has it, at least on their web site.  You might try the one at 44th & Western-I know they have a huge tool section.  I checked places like Lowe's, Home Depot, Michael's & Hobby Lobby but none have it listed on their website.  I can't recall seeing it at any of the LBS's I've been in so far.

Welcome to the forums BTW!  Nice to have another Okie among us. :)  If you ever want to get together and play beads sometime by all means send me an email.

Jeni

Oklahoma City

ArtFire Studio & blog  |  Gallery 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 32
on Jun 29, 2011 3:57 AM

I do mine using liver of sulfur.  These days you can use these gels and put on the places you want to like the twists and turns on the jewelry.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 250
Claudette48 wrote
on Jun 30, 2011 11:00 AM

I don't like chemicals and prefer a natural patina so I use natural items like hard boiled eggs.

If you want a permanent oxidized look which is what the professional jewelers do you take black enamel stick into the nooks and crannies and wipe the excess off.  Does last forever and has a glossier look, deep look.

Claudette

amagnetaday 

Claudette

Tip: To stop metal findings from tarnishing store in a ZIP Lock bag with a chunk of chalk.

amagnetaday

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS