Sharpening wire cutters?

This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 133
Aiyleta wrote
on Aug 6, 2009 1:13 PM

My wire cutters are getting a bit dull, and I was wondering if it's possible to sharpen them?  I don't have any really big nicks in the 'blades,' so I don't need to do too much, I think, just touch up the sharpness...I've been reading a bit about having to be careful so that you don't remove too much metal so that the blades don't meet anymore. 

I did find a great page about this somewhere a while back, but I can't seem to find it again now, so I just thought I'd ask you guys and see if you've done this successfully. :p  Also, I'm wondering if it's even worth trying to do (kind of cheap($) pliers), or if I should just go out and buy new ones, if I'm likely to wreck them trying to sharpen them anyway?

Thanks in advance!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,884
LoisB@23 wrote
on Aug 6, 2009 4:03 PM

I have no idea, but am going to be watching this thread, as mine are getting dull too.... I've heard from some people that this happens to ALL cutters, and because of that, they just buy new ones when the old ones get dull.... I'll be curious to see what others have to say!

Lois

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 83
on Aug 7, 2009 8:01 AM

This is a problem I am having...hubby tried to do something to them to help me...not sure what it was....but it was a no go.

When I cut hair...I had a guy we would call in like once a month or something...to sharpen all of our shears. He would come in...take them out to his van...and then bring them back in to us. I was wondering if there was someone or a place that I could take them to that could do that....hmmm

Christine

http://BeadedIndulgences.etsy.com

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 711
LitaC2 wrote
on Aug 7, 2009 10:48 AM

A few weeks ago, when I was at Metalliferous, I wanted to buy a somewhat expensive ($25) pair of metal shears.  The store owner looked at me and asked if I really wanted to throw my money away (he's notoriously nasty).  He said that all cutters, large, small and in-between will dull over time and there is no effective way to sharpen them.  Spending a lot of money on shears and cutters was pointless.  Unlike scissors, these types of cutters can't be taken apart, properly put back together, and then adjusted for the loss of metal that the sharpening causes.

He was happy to sell me the $25 German pair, but said that the $8 set from India cut metal just as well, and would last just as long.  I took his advice, and put the $17 towards some sterling wire.

So, my answer would be - Don't bother with sharpening, just buy the least expensive cutters you can find.

Lita

Please see my projects at Stoneheart Beads

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,624
Cat_P wrote
on Aug 7, 2009 11:15 AM

I have heard the same thing as others.... just buy new ones.

Cat     Blog  Artfire  Etsy

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,884
LoisB@23 wrote
on Aug 7, 2009 11:52 AM

Lita-- THAT"S the story  I was remembering reading! Thanks, I couldn't remember who had posted it for us. So, I think that's the route I'll be taking.

Lois

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS