cotton thread or cord?

This post has 8 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 2
on Aug 1, 2009 9:03 PM

I'm new to this area and site. I've been wasting a lot of time searching on the web trying to replace the cord, or maybe you call it thread, on a necklace I have. I believe the necklace cord/thread is made from cotton, unwaxed, and the cord/thread is about 0.7 or 0.8 mm in diameter. The necklace cord/thread is braided in green and purplish-brown cord/thread. I'm willing to do the braiding, etc., if I can find someplace to buy the cord. Does anyone know where to buy this? Any clues would be appreciated.

Thank you.

John

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,624
Cat_P wrote
on Aug 1, 2009 9:20 PM

Hmmm, I was thinking hemp cord until you got to the .7 or .8 mm part.

Once someone answers with better knowledge than I, I can probably give you a few sites to check out.

Cat     Blog  Artfire  Etsy

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,624
Cat_P wrote
on Aug 1, 2009 9:23 PM

Oh this could be silk cording, try this maybe...

http://www.artbeads.com/stringing-materials-griffin-silk-bead-cord-size-6.html

Cat     Blog  Artfire  Etsy

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,336
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Aug 1, 2009 11:28 PM

I was thinking the same thing Cat. Sound like silk cord to me.

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,471
ForumModerator
JSmaz wrote
on Aug 2, 2009 12:11 AM

Hi John, I'm sorry I don't know the answer to your question, but I wanted to welcome you anyway!

Jeni

Oklahoma City

ArtFire Studio & blog  |  Gallery 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,145
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on Aug 2, 2009 1:58 AM

Welcome to BD, I am not a newbie, anymore, now I am "an inbetweenie", as I am still learning about beading, cords threads etc.

Be sure to post some of your work, New folks are always welcome.  Come join in the conversations.

What kind of beading do you enjoy doing?

Mary

Gyspy Mary

Blessed are those who can Give, without remembering

and Take with out Forgetting

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 165
momma9 wrote
on Aug 2, 2009 7:01 AM

Good morning,

I have used cotton cord in some of my macrame.  I bought .5mm cotton cord in black and white from FMG.  I also purchased a .5mm hemp; the hemp is skinnier than the cotton cord, which I find confusing since they are both .5mm in size.

Here is a link to my items made with the cotton cord and hemp, maybe you can see if this is what you are looking for:

http://beautifulbeadedcreations.com/gallery7hempandcotton.aspx

I went to this page and noted the .5mm hemp and cotton cords for you to see specifically.

The cotton cord at FMG is available in .5mm and 1mm.  The 1mm variety has more color options.  I am very pleased with the quality and "smoothness" of the cotton and the hemp.  

I hope this helps.

Peace and love,

Diane 

Not Ranked
Posts 2
on Aug 18, 2009 7:38 PM

Some time has passed, but if anyone reads this, thanks for replying. I finally figured it out. What I want is Chinese knotting cord. It is actually nylon. Someone told me it was cotton, but even I should have known better than that. Thanks for your help.

John

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,884
LoisB@23 wrote
on Aug 18, 2009 8:25 PM

John-- glad you were able to solve the question yourself! I know NOTHING about such things... so wouldn't have been ANY help to you at all.

Lois

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS