When using wire guards.....

This post has 13 Replies | 3 Followers
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,624
Cat_P wrote
on Jul 18, 2009 5:16 PM

Are you supposed to pinch them together at the bottom where the wire comes out?

It seems everytime I see them in someone else's work it appears that they are real close together where you would put the crimp.  I hope I explained this well enough....

Cat     Blog  Artfire  Etsy

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,960
SEllen 2 wrote
on Jul 18, 2009 7:24 PM

Cat

I use wire guards on most all my necklaces and I do not crimp the guards. I do try to get the crimp tubes close to the bottom of the guards though.

But perhaps I'm not using them correctly.

Sorry I'm not more help.

sellen

sellen Smile

southwest Texas USA

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,317
on Jul 18, 2009 9:55 PM

I don't crimp the wire guards but I do use my mini flat nosed pliers to pinch the 2 sides closer together, then I string through the crimp bead and crimp...if that makes sense. That way there isn't much of a gap in the beading wire between the guard and the crimp.

Christina,

Rainy Pacific Northwest, Home of The Seahawks. 

http://vintagetreasuresjewelry.blogspot.com 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,624
Cat_P wrote
on Jul 18, 2009 10:00 PM

ChristinaH:

I don't crimp the wire guards but I do use my mini flat nosed pliers to pinch the 2 sides closer together, then I string through the crimp bead and crimp...if that makes sense. That way there isn't much of a gap in the beading wire between the guard and the crimp.

Yes Christina that is what I was talking about. I was wondering cause it seems like a lot of pieces I see strung with them, the guards ends are very close together like they've been pinched together closely. I checked a few places online to see if I could find instructions but all the instructions I found don't say to do this, so that's why I thought I would ask here.

I think I'll start doing this as well, I think it looks better that way.

Not Ranked
Posts 21
rgenovese wrote
on Jul 19, 2009 12:18 AM

Hi Cat. I normally pinch the ends closer together also. I don't know if it's right or wrong, but I think it looks a lot more finished that way.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,624
Cat_P wrote
on Jul 19, 2009 5:56 AM

rgenovese:

Hi Cat. I normally pinch the ends closer together also. I don't know if it's right or wrong, but I think it looks a lot more finished that way.

Thanks! It seems a lot of people do this since I see it in other's work, so either right or wrong, apparently it works!

Sellen, thank you! I usually just get my tubes as close as I can too without creating too much tension, it just seemed like a lot of them I saw the ends were squeezed closer together than they come. I agree that it looks more finished.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,099
Sherri S. wrote
on Jul 19, 2009 4:53 PM

Call me an expert on wire guards.  I swear by them!

Sometimes wireguards come with the ends spread apart, and some come close together.  I decided that the ones that come spread apart come that way so they are easier to thread.  when I buy wireguards that are not spread apart, I tend to separate them with my fingernail so they are easier to thread.

I pinch my wireguards together when I finish an end.  The purpose of the guard is to cover the wire so that it doesn't get worn and break.  Why would you crimp below a wireguard and have some of the wire showing?  The piece would not look finished and the beading wire is exposed, which will cause wear.

Always pinch your wireguards closed - with Sterling ones, you can do it with your fingers.  Your piece will look more professional when it is finished when you do it this way.

Sherri S.

Check out my Etsy Store......

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6321824

Check out my Etsy Beads Store.......

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=7141344

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,624
Cat_P wrote
on Jul 19, 2009 8:05 PM

Sherri S.:

Always pinch your wireguards closed - with Sterling ones, you can do it with your fingers.  Your piece will look more professional when it is finished when you do it this way.

Thanks Sherri, I was waiting for your reply on this one! After seeing some of your stuff with ends pinched, then I browsed on other sites where people had finished jewelry I noticed the same, the ends pinched together. The places I checked with instructions didn't say to do this at all so I was kind of left confused about it. It definitely looks better with the ends pinched so I plan to do this anyway from now on.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,099
Sherri S. wrote
on Jul 20, 2009 1:20 PM

Cat :
The places I checked with instructions didn't say to do this at all so I was kind of left confused about it.

I think vendors think people already know how to use them.  Glad I could help!

Sherri S.

Check out my Etsy Store......

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6321824

Check out my Etsy Beads Store.......

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=7141344

Not Ranked
Posts 2
connierc wrote
on Jun 10, 2011 12:51 PM

Hello Folks,

I am just about as green as you can be in this "beading" world - and yet have managed to amass an incredible amount of beads, wire, findings, clasps, crimps, etc.

BUT -- I must agree with you - all the vendors assume you know everything!  I ended up buying about 1,000 ft of "artistic wire" when I actually wanted "beading wire." But, again, the vendors don't seem to make a point of saying:  This is used for THIS, not for that..."

ugh ... Thankfully, I had one vendor on ebay kindly refund/cancel my full transaction when I finally just asked - since they did NOT have "and to make necklaces" in the description of what to use the Artistic Wire for...

I am STILL completely confused about the the wire guard vs crimp - and if anyone has a close-up of what the wire guard is used for - vs a crimp - oh, I would LOVE IT! :-)

Thanks for any help!!

PEACE,

Connie

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,335
DebWAZ wrote
on Jun 10, 2011 1:42 PM

Cat,

Yes, sometimes it does seem as if vendors do expect everyone to know how things are used. Sadly, that means that some people get so tired of trying to figure it out themselves (because they haven't found this forum or others) and they give up.

As the others have said, when I use wire guards, I always close the ends of the "horseshoe". I string the crimp, run the wire through the wire guard, and back through the crimp. Then I snug the wire and squeeze the ends together gently, check the tension of the piece one more time and then do the crimp.

Connie,

I am so sorry you have had such a bad experience with vendors, but I have to say, that's what your LBS (Local Bead Store) is for. If you shop at an LBS, you will (usually) find people who are happy to help you find exactly what you need.

I have customers that come in and say, "I need 18 wire" and have no clue if it's 18 gauge wire for wrapping or .018" flex wire for stringing. It's my JOB to make sure that you don't get flex wire for wrapping. If a customer comes in who is having trouble making a gallery wrap (wrapped loop) for earrings, I'll be sure to show her (or him) how to do it correctly. I've had customers come in with designs that they can't quite get to work the way they wanted, and between us, we work out a way to make it look the way they planned.

Wire guard vs crimp - that's not exactly right. Wire guards are used WITH a crimp on flex wire to give the piece a more finished look. Wire guards protect the wire (or thread) and keep it from wearing or fraying and breaking. They also add an extra protection to keep the wire/thread from slipping through a gap in a jump ring or clasp. You still need to use a crimp because the wire will eventually slip out of the wire guard and the piece will come apart if you don't crimp it.

Using wire guards are strictly a personal choice. Some people just finish the piece with a crimp and put a crimp cover over it so that it looks pretty. Still others will string the crimp another bead and then run the wire back through the bead, the crimp and the beads in the piece. Others use a Magical or 1 Step crimper to make the crimp look nice and eliminate the crimp cover altogether. Others "don't like any wire showing" on the clasp and use the wire guards in the same color to match the findings and other metals, so that the wire isn't obvious when looking at the piece.

I'm a "6 of one, half dozen of the other" type of stringer. Depending on the piece, I may or may not use wire guards. If I'm making something with pearls and crystals with a sophisticated tone, I'll use wire guards or maybe bead tips/clamshells/calottes. If I'm just messing around, making something for fun, I'll just use the Magical tool to make a nice crimp. My philosophy is, "Once a person learns to do the basics properly, there isn't any 'wrong" way to combine them."

Hope this helps!

Deb (back to getting stuff ready for the store anniversary party tomorrow)

Deb

azbeaddepot.blogspot.com

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 563
kareng915 wrote
on Jun 11, 2011 1:32 AM

Cat..  Thank you for asking that question!!

And thanks to all the replies.... this would explain why I could never get a nice finish when I tried using wire gaurds.  I eventually just gave up on them! 

Cat, you are obviously more observant than I am!  :)

karen  ~  BeadDelirium    blog  |  artfire 

Not Ranked
Posts 2
connierc wrote
on Jun 11, 2011 1:49 AM

Hello Deb,

WOW, thank you for all this great information!  Sadly, my LBS, where I went for "basic" courses, well, they don't seem to have the time to deal with beginners. Whenever I am there, looking - and buying - items, if I have questions, they either don't know the answers (not hard questions, from what I've learned) or don't have the staff to take care of more than one person. Quite often they don't have the materials, either ... sigh...

Now, tho, I hope I can find out more info from websites, THIS site, and other forums for beading. Y

Yes, I had noticed the difference in the gauging from Artistic and Beading wire -- but didn't REALLY understand why. Thank you for explaining.

At this point, I do have a wonderful amount of wrapping wire - and a large amount of good sized stones on which to "practice." As for my German glass beads, I think with some silver and gold mini beads, bead caps and other goodies, I shouldn't have to worry about  the "color" factor.

Still having a bit of difficulty with the "wire guard" and the sizing I will need. Much of what I'm seeing on feebay is in the 5 x 4mm range - and I'm not sure WHERE those dimensions come into play. I would imagine that the gauge of the wire guard is fairly important, so as not to be too thick, too thin, and be of notice  - should "hide" rather than be noticeable, IMO.

Of course, I may have a couple hundred more questions :-)  Will try not to be too much of a bother unless I get horribly stuck :+D

Best wishes,

Connie

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,335
DebWAZ wrote
on Jun 12, 2011 5:59 PM

connierc:

Hello Deb,

WOW, thank you for all this great information!  Sadly, my LBS, where I went for "basic" courses, well, they don't seem to have the time to deal with beginners. Whenever I am there, looking - and buying - items, if I have questions, they either don't know the answers (not hard questions, from what I've learned) or don't have the staff to take care of more than one person. Quite often they don't have the materials, either ... sigh...

Now, tho, I hope I can find out more info from websites, THIS site, and other forums for beading. Y

Yes, I had noticed the difference in the gauging from Artistic and Beading wire -- but didn't REALLY understand why. Thank you for explaining.

At this point, I do have a wonderful amount of wrapping wire - and a large amount of good sized stones on which to "practice." As for my German glass beads, I think with some silver and gold mini beads, bead caps and other goodies, I shouldn't have to worry about  the "color" factor.

Still having a bit of difficulty with the "wire guard" and the sizing I will need. Much of what I'm seeing on feebay is in the 5 x 4mm range - and I'm not sure WHERE those dimensions come into play. I would imagine that the gauge of the wire guard is fairly important, so as not to be too thick, too thin, and be of notice  - should "hide" rather than be noticeable, IMO.

Of course, I may have a couple hundred more questions :-)  Will try not to be too much of a bother unless I get horribly stuck :+D

Best wishes,

Connie

Connie,

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience at your LBS. It's too bad that they apparently don't realize that by taking care of their less experienced customers, they are building a customer base as that person gains experience and confidence. I always tell beginners that we give free "tech support" with every purchase. They usually take me up on that at least once - showing them how to do a crimp, make a wrapped loop, etc.

As far as I know, the wire guards are pretty much a standard size. *I* haven't seen anything more than "one size fits all", which isn't true. Most of them will fit up to .019" diameter flex wire, sometimes even as large as .024".

Don't ever think that asking questions here is a bother - that's what we're here for. If nothing else, you can e-mail me off the forums!

Deb

Deb

azbeaddepot.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS