Chan Luu

This post has 16 Replies | 4 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Maureen@84 wrote
on Jul 6, 2009 7:46 AM

Does anyone know where i can find instructions for the "Chan Luu" bracelet?? Or something like it. Thanks all.  Maureen

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,191
Pam I am wrote
on Jul 6, 2009 1:05 PM

Maureen, I couldn't find any instructions, but here's a look at a number of bracelets... http://www.chanluu.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2  They sure are nice looking, now if we could figure out how the leather is wrapped these would be a lot easier to imitate.  I bet Billy could help us here, others too...

Pam

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,750
Kokopelli wrote
on Jul 6, 2009 11:26 PM

Pam:
They sure are nice looking, now if we could figure out how the leather is wrapped these would be a lot easier to imitate.  I bet Billy could help us here, others too...

These are beautiful! I think these bracelets are made on a loom and the beads are loomed between the leather strings. The leather makes the warp threads and the beading thread the weft. Does that make sense?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,191
Pam I am wrote
on Jul 7, 2009 6:43 AM

It does Dagi, thanks!  hmmmm, I'm scheming now....I don't think I have the right leather.... 

Pam

wrote
on Jul 7, 2009 11:29 AM

I read the description on one of them and it said it was loomed.  Those are neat looking.  I've never really thought about using something like leather for warp threads.  Might have to try that.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,750
Kokopelli wrote
on Jul 7, 2009 12:48 PM

Pam:
I don't think I have the right leather.... 

If you want cheap leather cord, buy a spool with 50 yards, not the short pieces. That's much cheaper and you can cut pieces the length you need them. I bought three colors so far (black, light and dark brown) and use it for many things. Leatherworks, braided and knotted jewelry etc.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,191
Pam I am wrote
on Jul 8, 2009 7:10 AM

Dagi, I have black cord in 1mm and 2mm, no lace and no brown at all...I see a trip to town coming up.....

Pam

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Gail22 wrote
on Jul 12, 2010 2:45 PM

I made this bracelet at Beadworld in Kirkland, WA with the instructor named Nicky but anyone there would be able to help you with materials list. I don't know where you live so not sure this is convenient but Marie is always nice and would give you the materials list over the phone. The class was 4 hours and then I needed another 4 hours to finish it. But, I am thrilled with my wrap bracelet that looks every bit like the Chan Luu that inspired me. The class was only $25 and well worth it for the masterpiece I created.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 780
labup wrote
on Jul 12, 2010 9:37 PM

Gail:  did you guys do it on a loom?  I love these.  I would love to learn how to do them.  I might have to take a trip back to Washington again soon but go up North this time.  I was just there last week in Vancouver (Southwest) Washington.  I would have gladly driven up to Kirkland to learn this.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 256
blueflute wrote
on Jul 13, 2010 12:07 AM

looks like a type of blanket stitch

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Gail22 wrote
on Jul 13, 2010 1:44 AM

No, it wasn't a loom--you start with the cord (waxed cotton I believe it was), and you fold the cord in half and loop a button on the half-way point--then you actually SEW each bead so it attaches to both sides of your cord that is folded in half--it's very secure this way as opposed to the blanket stitch that I've seen on some of the rather pricey versions of this wrap bracelet. It's very time consuming, big learning curve. But the class was so reasonably priced, I'd take it again to really get the hang of it. I didn't think I'd want to make another one after all that work, but you forget! It's like birthing babies ; )  I do recommend a magnifying glass/light to help you through this, at least at my age of 47, the eyes aren't what they used to be and had been keeping me from beading as of late.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
jeanabobina wrote
on Jul 31, 2010 10:08 PM

hi maureen

did you ever find the instructions to make the chan luu bracelet?

if not, here ya go...

http://www.how-to-make-jewelry.com/how-to-create-a-beaded-leather-wrap-bracelet.html

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,833
KipperCat wrote
on Aug 27, 2010 4:10 PM

if anyone's interested, the vegan wrap bracelet at Beadaholique is the same, just with larger beads.

http://www.beadaholique.com/t-ba-project-B129.aspx#

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,191
Pam I am wrote
on Aug 29, 2010 4:36 AM

Sweet directions, thanks to both of you!

Pam

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,833
KipperCat wrote
on Sep 6, 2010 12:36 PM

Caravan Beads has one up with 6/0 beads - also a nice look

http://caravanbeads.biz/beadblog/archives/1503

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS