Do You BEAD GREEN?

This post has 54 Replies | 3 Followers
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,471
ForumModerator
JSmaz wrote
on Feb 19, 2011 5:29 PM

Great idea Sue!  As windy as it gets here I bet that would work like a charm.

Jeni

Oklahoma City

ArtFire Studio & blog  |  Gallery 

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 250
Claudette48 wrote
on Feb 21, 2011 6:46 PM

I try to GREEN everything!  My friends make fun of me.  I don't care and it saves a lot of money.

I grew up on a dairy farm where we recycled everything, because my Grandparents never wasted anything, i.e. men's leather work boots make excellent locking washers and gaskets, etc.  We made jam and jelly.  None of our jars matched, but we never threw a jar away. If you bury one tin can per hole, in a year it will have rotted almost completely, and it's going back where it came from.  Our food chain was a little different; we ate it, animals ate it, compost.  We recycled before there was recycling.

Pet peeve!  Why do I have to pay $30.00 plus taxes per month for pickup twice a week for a 55 gallon garbage can, when maybe  might have a grocery store bag of garbage a week?????  I've tried fighting them on it, but they don't care if you use the service, you will pay for it!

If you can't use it, sell it or give it to someone that can.  Craig's List is great for that and they'll even pick it up.

Garbage dumps are revolting.  There are countries that use everything and have no dump sites.

Happy and joyful recycling!

Claudette

amagnetday

Claudette

Tip: To stop metal findings from tarnishing store in a ZIP Lock bag with a chunk of chalk.

amagnetaday

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,471
ForumModerator
JSmaz wrote
on Feb 21, 2011 8:40 PM

I hear you Claudette!  I just recently moved back to the US from being stationed in Europe and they recycle so much more than we do here.  I feel ashamed to throw away stuff I know can be recycled.  Alas, since we have so much more land area I think we're still of the opinion its just easier to throw it in a land fill.  We need to take lessons from the Germans-they know how to do it right and you get fines for NOT doing it.

Jeni

Oklahoma City

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 531
on Mar 8, 2011 5:39 PM

Im not sure if this is beading Green,but I have gone through my jewelry box and found pieces that I havent worn and will never wear or just werent my faves to begin with, and I took them apart and created several pieces with the beads and findings Smile

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,471
ForumModerator
JSmaz wrote
on Mar 14, 2011 7:58 PM

I think that qualifies as either "reusing or recycling" for sure. :)

Speaking of "beading green", I was just reading in the newest Beadwork that Rio Grand powers it's entire operation using solar energy.  The panels on their warehouse roof create enough energy to power 300 homes.  Go Rio!

Jeni

Oklahoma City

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Laurie@131 wrote
on Mar 31, 2011 11:15 AM

I read in another forum that someone strips the copper wire from old electrical cord. I believe she had a ready supply, but this can be done by anyone.

Not Ranked
Posts 10
teonaaa3 wrote
on Jul 3, 2012 10:17 AM

I'm practically always recycling. My creativeness is especially turned on when I see lots of "useless" things such as little pieces of material, beard, threads and so on. I don't know if it is Bead Green :))

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,139
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on Jul 3, 2012 10:42 AM

I love this "Post" Thread, whatever you call it. Sue, I love the Idea of Painted can's. I have three pecan trees at feed Black Birds, Crows, Pigeons and Morning doves. The Neighboring Pecan Orchard, uses blanks that go off every 15 minutes. which, you guessed it, runs all the birds to our little Plots of Land.  I can just imagine the response I will get from neighbors at seeing strings of painted can's in my trees.LOL

Victorian Chairs, I saw made from soda cans at the Last VA visit(with DH in Las Cruces,NM)They were darling.

Barbie doll Furniture, My Sister makes out of tuna cans, and veggie cans.

I saw on this forum, where one of the members makes cut-out shapes from cans and dips in resin. They were so neat.

A friend, has a "Tin Man" made from cans. One of my ole RV Friens, made all kinds of things from soda cans, from Whirly Gigs, to Airplanes, cars. etc.

Another RV friend, used Liter and 2 liter  bottles with decal (birds, butterflys etc.)type stuff for bird feeders.

I buy old blankets and sheets at yard sales, and wash them, donate to Humane Society. They also love plastic bags and newspapers.

I just learned from my oldest Sister, to recycle pillow cases, for Sewing machine covers, Computer and keyboard, Printer covers. (Of course I bead around the designs, )

Recylce milk jugs, make fun "Shrinky Dink" material for wind chimes..

Someone, some where must have written a book on Recycle or going green.?hum?

Gyspy Mary

Blessed are those who can Give, without remembering

and Take with out Forgetting

Page 4 of 4 (55 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4 | RSS