Do You BEAD GREEN?

This post has 54 Replies | 3 Followers
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,145
on Jun 15, 2009 2:15 PM

My parents lived through the Depression and the Dakota Drought/Dustbowl.  I lived though WW2.  We did "Fix up, use up, wear out" and "Make do or do without".  We had a LARGE "Victory Garden".  I wish the "celebreties" would preach by their example, not with their mouths, talk is cheap.  I've been saving things ever since I can remember.  The paper was always saved for the paper drives -- done by Boy Scouts then and now.

It was the way of life for most people from way before the (19)20's on up through the years to today, though fewer people do it now than in 1942-1950.

Super Angry . . .my rant . . .

Stan B.

Lakeland, MN

USA

Ignorance is curable; Stupidity has neither cure nor excuse.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 502
Editor
on Jun 15, 2009 2:41 PM

Denise,

Your post reminded me that we have this free bracelet project by Jean Campbell where she reused one of those plastic pieces from a spool of beading wire and made it into a bracelet.  Instructions are here:

/media/p/3602.aspx

Very clever!

Not Ranked
Posts 7
MarilynP@25 wrote
on Jun 15, 2009 3:23 PM

The problem that people are realizing is that, YES, the end result "may be GREEN", but the process that gets you to that stage, is often worse than what we have dealt with in the past. The companies that claim "GREEN" status, need to prove to the public that their entire step-by-step process is also green. marilyn

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 26
Larry.Linson wrote
on Jun 15, 2009 4:14 PM

I agree with Crystal Seed Bead... I grew up in the WW II years, when there was no choice but to conserve, simplify, reuse, and use your imagination. 

I'm not into "steam punk" or "pull tabs" but I do still reuse (from old jewelry and other adaptable items), recycle.  I'll say this, though, a week of household recycling outweighs a year of beadwork recycling. 

Sad to say, I've never cared for "paper beads", beneficial as they may be; I do support an organization that supports a single orphans home in Ghana, partly by selling Ghanian-made glass and ceramic beads, as many as possible of which are made with reused and recycled materials.

I do get tired of whippersnappers driving SUVs "preaching green" to me. I'm also "with" the poster who said, "It's 100+ degrees outside (though here, today, only about 97F, I think) and I'm not turning off my air-conditioning."  <Chuckle -- with my breathing problems, the carbon footprint of the ambulance to take me to the hospital would outweigh the carbon footprint of generating the electricity for my A/C.>

Not Ranked
Posts 3
ShelleyH@3 wrote
on Jun 15, 2009 4:41 PM

I am so sick of the word Green.  It makes me want to scream.  Look, I recycle. I try to eat local; I use reuseable grocerie bags.  I also prefer to use natural products and I try to do all the responsible things.  But enough is enough.  Will this site and magazine only advertise environmentally safe products?  Will you only promote artists who use local products?  I fully support the green movement but I really wish everyone would shut up about it already.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
ShelleyH@3 wrote
on Jun 15, 2009 4:49 PM

Well said.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,624
Cat_P wrote
on Jun 15, 2009 5:16 PM

Knda:

Along the lines of recycling.....Does anyone know where I can get rid of the itty-bitty peices of sterling silver wire that are leftover from projects? I'd hate to just throw them away!

After a recent purchase from Rio Grande I found out that they buy back your scraps of silver. I know it would take a whole lot of those pieces we cut off from wrapped loops and what not but I starting saving all mine to turn in to them. I keep a small bead container on my table for all my silver scrap. It will probably take me years to even get enough to send to them but it's a nice way to both "recycle" the silver and get credit or money back.

Cat     Blog  Artfire  Etsy

Not Ranked
Posts 2
islandbeader wrote
on Jun 15, 2009 6:10 PM

Kendra,

I have seen an ad from Rio Grande saying they take silver scrap and either give you cash or credit.

Good luck,

Nancy

Not Ranked
Posts 1
LeahB@17 wrote
on Jun 15, 2009 7:12 PM

I have made my own papier mache beads. From newsprint and other leftover fancy papers from my art direction work. The potential to do any shape, coloring, metal leafing and other effects is endless. It's one of the easier projects to do in a small city apartment.

file:///Users/leahbecker/Desktop/mache_quartz_lo.jpg

Not Ranked
Posts 6
on Jun 15, 2009 9:49 PM

I would love to learn more about beading green..........I too would love to see a directory of companies offering eco friendly products....Thanks!

Not Ranked
Posts 2
mreid98 wrote
on Jun 16, 2009 12:51 AM

I have heard that you can sell them to a silver smith. I asked at a gem faire once and the silver guy says that he buys them. I have two little containers full of scraps I will take with me next time.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
mreid98 wrote
on Jun 16, 2009 12:58 AM

Amen Sister! I am all for respecting what we have been given and being wise, but the only thing this "green" movement is doing is lining some peoples pocketbooks, and it's not ours! Living locally will do far more to reduce waste and imporve the quality of living where you live.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
TrishH@11 wrote
on Jun 16, 2009 6:29 AM

I have three "green" items to tell you about.  The first is one you may have heard of that scrapbookers have been using and now polymer clay artists are really enjoying.  The second product is polymer clay made with beeswax and the third item is paperless projects for beads and other polymer claying instructions...

PYM II Spray Varnish -
It is VOC exempt making it environmentally friendly!  Of course sanding and polishing your beads is the better "green" way to do it but when you don't have time this spray is the next most wonderful thing!!  When you spray, there is very little odor and the smell dissipates almost immediately.  It leaves a beautiful shine.

http://www.polyclayplay.com/Products/SpecialOrder/PYMII.htm

Pardo Polymer Clay
There are no phthalates in Pardo Clay.  It is made with pure beeswax and the jars it comes in are recyclable in a couple of ways.  First, the jars can be recycled in the normal manner by adding them to your recyclable trash or even more fun, they are a great size for storing beads and findings!  Don't buy new containers, use the ones you have.  The clay comes in a clear jar with a screw top lid so bead storage would be wonderful.  Not to mention, more importantly, the clay comes in 68 beautiful colors!!

http://www.polyclayplay.com/Products/Pardo

The last item I mentioned is the fact that Poly Clay Play produces polymer clay projects each month that are downloadable.  That way, the reader has the opportunity to print only the projects he or she is interested in saving paper.  There are also "work at your own pace" polymer clay online classes which save gas and time.

http://www.polyclayplay.com/Invitation.htm

*´¨)
.·´ .·*¨) ¸.·*¨)
* (¸.·´ (¸.*´ ¸.·´
`·-* ~* Trish ~
Find the magic in art!
Happy Poly Clay Playing!
http://www.polyclayplay.com/Invitation.htm
Join the Poly Clay Play Club! Join the Fun!

Not Ranked
Posts 3
azpaperbeads wrote
on Jun 16, 2009 10:37 AM

I may have started using upcycled items for my jewelry because I am a single low income mom and not an eco friendly fanatic but I see no reason to stop recycling and upcycling.  I feel even my small efforts will help in some way.

I am shocked at some of these comments.  Some may be tired of hearing about the importance of recycling and upcycling but the word still needs to be spread.  Just look at our situation!  We are so hung up on having the new and modern of everything that we are hurting our planet not to mention our pocket book.

I have been designing jewelry from my own artist beads that I make from everything I can get my hands on.  Store bought beads are very pretty but I don't see the need to use the same stuff everyone else is using.  I use my office's shredded paper, junk mail, glass bottles, fabric and left over craft supplies from other projects to make my beads and pendants.  I also have found a wire co that sells recycled fine metal wire and will also buy your scraps.

earthhelpcrafts

Earth Friendly Craft Supplies

Not Ranked
Posts 3
azpaperbeads wrote
on Jun 16, 2009 11:11 AM

monsterslayer will buy your scrap silver.  It is based on a percentage of market value.

Page 2 of 4 (55 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4  Next > | RSS