Russian Spiral

This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Linda Marie2 wrote
on May 24, 2009 6:34 PM

Hello to all you fellow beaders. I am looking for basic instructions on how to make a Russian spiral . I see it on necklaces and bracelets, but I can not find a pattern for it.  I would really prefer that it was on video, if anyone can direct me to one, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

LInda

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,144
on May 24, 2009 7:02 PM

No video but here are two sites: (copy and paste)

http://www.beadpatterncentral.com/russianspiral.pdf

http://www.tarnhelm.com/NeedForBeads/RussianSpiral.pdf

Also, go to upper right of this page and enter  Russian Spiral  in the search box.  There is at least one othe thread on Russian Spiral; and if you enter  Spiral , there are other threads as well.

Stan B.

Stan B.

Lakeland, MN

USA

Ignorance is curable; Stupidity has neither cure nor excuse.

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Linda Marie2 wrote
on May 25, 2009 12:58 AM

THanks, I'll give it a try

Linda

Not Ranked
Posts 1
wildfire3 wrote
on Aug 3, 2009 9:08 AM

Hi there, Bead and Button magazine August 2008 issue has instructions for the Russian Spiral.

Patti

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 711
LitaC2 wrote
on Aug 5, 2009 5:50 AM

Linda:

The Russian Spiral is one of the easiest and most satisfying stitches to learn - it grows very quickly and when you branch out with different combinations of beads, it looks amazing.   I used the book, Seed Bead Stitching, to teach myself.  I like this book because it shows the process of each stich with real photographs and contrasting beads and thread.

A word of caution - If you are using a combination of larger beads or pearls and very small seed beads, you may find your that spiral rope doesn't support itself.  It's hollow, and it may have a tendency to collapse.  On a couple of my heavy spirals (I often pair 12mm teardrop pearls with size 10 delicas), I've stitched the spiral around a wooden dowel, and when it was done, I ran a length of clear, flexible tubing down the core.

Please post some pictures of your work, I'd love to see what you end up making.

Lita

Please see my projects at Stoneheart Beads

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 46
Chibimimi wrote
on Aug 6, 2009 8:32 PM

Russian spiral is very simple.  It is essentially a three-drop net stitch, except that the first bead in each set of three is larger than the other two.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS