What can I use to stop tarnishing on all my mixed metal findings and chains?

This post has 14 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 2
on May 4, 2009 5:49 PM

I love working with metal beads and findings.  I cannot stand when the coppper turns black or any tarnish that gets on skin.  Any suggestions?  Thanks

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,099
Sherri S. wrote
on May 4, 2009 8:51 PM

If you are talking about findings and chain that is not yet made into jewelry, store them in ziploc plastic bags.  That's how I store all of my sterling silver jewelry supplies.  If air can't get to them, they won't tarnish.

For already-made jewelry, what I do is store my silver or copper jewelry in tarnish-resistant flannel pouches.  I've never had them tarnish this way.  And if they don't tarnish, I wouldn't think they'd stain your skin.  Silver of course doesn't stain your skin even if it is tarnished, only copper does. 

Bottom line, my suggestion is storing these jewelry pieces in tarnish-resistant flannel pouches.  You can buy them at www.riogrande.com

Sherri S.

Check out my Etsy Store......

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6321824

Check out my Etsy Beads Store.......

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=7141344

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,742
Kokopelli wrote
on May 4, 2009 11:10 PM

Staining of the skin depends on every single person. There are some where even silver stains the skin and others, who can even deal with tarnished copper. It also depends on how close a piece of jewelry is to the skin and if it moves around a lot. For example I never have problems with copper bracelets, earrings or necklaces, but rings turn my skin green.

I store all my jewelry and supplies in ziploc bags and so they tarnish very little. Love that for copper, but for silver I bought a silver cleaning towel and it works really good.

wrote
on May 5, 2009 1:56 AM

Making sure to put your jewelry on AFTER any perfume or cosmetics and making sure they have a chance to dry, as well as wiping off your jewelry with a cloth after wearing it will help it not to tarnish as much also.

Dagmar is right though-some people will have reactions to metals no matter what.  It can be anything from your regular body chemistry to medications you may be taking.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 156
Leigh@18 wrote
on May 5, 2009 2:35 AM

For my findings/chain that I have not yet used - Like Sherri I have found ziploc bags are great - I have also purchased anti-tarnish strips that I place in the storage containers with my silver and copper to prevent tarnish. This works very well also

For pieces that I have made and are waiting to be sold- I store these in anti-tarnish bags and ziploc's as well. The anti-tarnish strips come in handy here too - just slip a strip of the paper into the ziploc with the jeewlry and it stays tarnish free.

Here is a link to the stips that I use: http://www.firemountaingems.com/shopping.asp?skw=KWTOOLANTITARNISH

For my personal stash of jewelry that I love and plan to keep I have purchased a jewelry armoire that has an anti-tarnish interior and I absolutely love it!!! No polishing my rings, bracelets, earrings, necklaces before I wear them to get the tarnish off. Purchasing this armoire was an investment and it took me some time before I found one I liked.

Here is a link to the armoire that I finally ended up purchasing:  http://www.ross-simons.com/products/521645.html  Ross-Simons has several options and you don't have to get the ginormous one that I did but this is what I needed for my extensive jewelry collection.

Hope this helps!

Leigh

wrote
on May 5, 2009 5:44 AM

Speaking of anti-tarnish strips (which I use too), you can also save the "do not eat" dessicant packets that come with shoes, purses, vitamins, etc and throw them in with your items also.  I keep my finished pieces to sell in plastic trays with lids, and I keep a couple of those in the box with them and I haven't had a problem with them tarnishing.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,742
Kokopelli wrote
on May 5, 2009 6:18 AM

Jsmaz:

Speaking of anti-tarnish strips (which I use too), you can also save the "do not eat" dessicant packets that come with shoes, purses, vitamins, etc and throw them in with your items also.  I keep my finished pieces to sell in plastic trays with lids, and I keep a couple of those in the box with them and I haven't had a problem with them tarnishing.

And I thought they were good for nothing......definitely worth a try. Thanks Jeni!

Not Ranked
Posts 22
ForumModerator
on May 5, 2009 8:35 AM

Believe it or not, you can protect base metals from the elements (and thus prevent tarnishing) by lightly coating your jewelry with acrylic spray. This spray can be found at most craft and hardware stores. Look for labels that claim “non-yellowing” and “moisture-resistant.” We usually opt for matte finish, but glossy finish is also available. To protect any non-metal beads that you don’t want coated, simply cover them with little pieces of tape during spraying. Be sure to work in a well-ventilated area.

Melinda Barta & Danielle Fox

Authors of Mixed Metals

Not Ranked
Posts 2
on May 5, 2009 2:19 PM

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions, I guess I did'nt phrase my question properly. Melinda barta, "special thanks" becouse you did give me an answer i was looking for. I wanted to know of a product or products to apply to my metal so that when I sell or give the pieces away they don't tarnish as quickly.  I pride myself on using mostly sterling and gold filled but have been doing lots of work with found objects and copper items and am just afraid that quick tarnishing will take away from the quality. I was hoping someone has some miracle answer!! although today I purchased some sealer for my gold leaf and it is an acrylic, thats surpose to be non-yellowing.  I will let you all know if it is a success.  Thanks for the great answers, & any more would be appriecated. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,884
LoisB@23 wrote
on May 5, 2009 2:22 PM

Ahhh! Well, right along with the acrylic spray, I will use clear fingernail polish on items if it's a single piece that's already built into the piece.... that way I can use precision application. It's just about the same thing anyway, just a thicker PAINT form.

Good Luck!
Lois

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Mrs J2 wrote
on Nov 14, 2009 11:32 AM

Thank you for asking this question...I joined this forum because of your question.

Did you try the acrylic spray...and did it work??

Mary Lou

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,335
DebWAZ wrote
on Nov 14, 2009 1:47 PM

Melinda Barta :

Believe it or not, you can protect base metals from the elements (and thus prevent tarnishing) by lightly coating your jewelry with acrylic spray. This spray can be found at most craft and hardware stores. Look for labels that claim “non-yellowing” and “moisture-resistant.” We usually opt for matte finish, but glossy finish is also available. To protect any non-metal beads that you don’t want coated, simply cover them with little pieces of tape during spraying. Be sure to work in a well-ventilated area.

Melinda Barta & Danielle Fox

Authors of Mixed Metals

I missed this post when it first came up - must've been while we were moving.

To add to what Melinda posted - when you use an acrylic spray to coat metal, put it outside somewhere where the sun will heat it up. Then give it a quick, light blast with the spray. A light spray on the heated metal will dry almost instantly, which is what you want.

Hope the acrylic spray worked for you.

Deb

Deb

azbeaddepot.blogspot.com

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on Nov 1, 2011 4:13 PM

Thank you for asking the question as I have been searching for the same thing and am going to try the Acrylic Spray. I also found a product called Everbrite which I will try if the Acrylic doesn't completely do the trick.:

Here is the link:  http://www.everbritecoatings.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=36

Jean

Not Ranked
Posts 2
eucalyptus wrote
on Oct 28, 2012 6:30 AM

I must admit that I haven't used the product yet since I just found out about it myself,  but have you heard of bull frog anti-rust emitters or strips?

I plan on giving them a chance since they are very reasonably priced.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
eucalyptus wrote
on Oct 28, 2012 6:30 AM

I must admit that I haven't used the product yet since I just found out about it myself,  but have you heard of bull frog anti-rust emitters or strips?

I plan on giving them a chance since they are very reasonably priced.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS