Make Wire Jewelry - Todays Free Pattern

This post has 17 Replies | 1 Follower
wrote
on Apr 24, 2009 4:59 AM

Even regular masking tape would probably work.  If you don't leave it on for long periods of time it shouldn't leave much residue, and it comes in many widths.  Painter's tape is usually a bit wider, but of course you can cut it down to the size you need.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,260
Billy Z wrote
on Apr 24, 2009 9:10 AM

The painter's tape comes in 1/2", 3/4", 1", 1 1/2", and 2"  width's standard and other custom sizes can be ordered. They have a "standard" strength adhesive on the green variety and a "lighter" strength adhesive on the blue one. Even the "standard" adhesive is "lighter" than standard masking tape adhesive. This is so that you don't pull up the paint on the masked off areas when you pull the tape back up. It is a little over twice the price of regular masking tape as well. A roll of 3/4" masking tape is aproximately $2.00 a roll, while the green in the same size is about $3.75 and the blue is about $4.50 for the same width/length rolls. In my experience, regular masking tape works just as well, if not a little better(stronger glue) as long as you don't leave it on for any extended period of time or leave it lying in direct sunlight.If you do, the glue gets very sticky and leaves residue all over everything it touches. It can be cleaned with 70% isopropyl rubbing alcohol fairly well, but the 91% isopropyl alcohol works much better. Stuff like Oops! and Goo Gone works even better though. You have to be careful with the acrylics/lucites/plastics with the last two as they may damage some of them. I use the painter's tape because I may start something and thn not touch it again for days/weeks at the time, and I don't like dealing with sticky residue, ya know. Good luck with whatever you can find/choose to use.

Billy ;o)

Billy ;o)

I yam wut I yam and dats all wut I yam. ~Popeye~

Dragonfly Jewelry Designs - ArtFire Artisan Studio

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,242
on Apr 24, 2009 2:52 PM

That makes sence then ... since the masking tape they used last time my mum painted her house is stuck on the windows like crazy ... cause they left it on to long in the sun ...

well i cant find the blue painters tape ....so i bought a roll off masking tape it was cheap so i figured out i give it a try. (not sure how it works cause i hurt my back so i havent done anything this week)

Still looking for the blue one tho...

Page 2 of 2 (18 items) < Previous  1 2 | RSS