When do you stop calling yourself "Beginner?"

This post has 33 Replies | 10 Followers rated by 4 users
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 60
Tank Girl wrote
on Sep 24, 2012 1:10 PM

I understand completely!  Maybe feeling like a beginner will keep us thirsting for more knowledge and trying new things!   At times, I think I'm pretty foxy, get a little above myself, and then totally screw up something I can do in my sleep.  I can impress myself one day with a gorgeous wire wrapped piece.  The next time, my wire wrapping looks like my cat did it.  It keeps us humble, I guess, and that's a good thing.

Donna

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,717
Valbeads wrote
on Sep 25, 2012 1:05 AM

I know what you mean, Donna. Sometimes I can sit down and just crank out a bunch of really gorgeous stuff.  I'll come back the next day, and it's like somebody did a brain wipe.  I look at my stuff and I'm like, "Who am I?  What am I doing here?  Who told you you were a jewelry designer?  Psych!!!!"  When I have those days, it's better to just walk away and do something else for a little while.  After a short break I can come back and go again and be fine.  Go figure.(PS-  maybe your cat DOES want to design jewelry!{lol})

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 505
on Sep 25, 2012 1:43 PM

Having struggled with confidence in my ability since I began beading so many years ago i still have a difficult time moving beyond the "I'm a beginner" mentality. I have my good days and bad days of course but technically once i "mastered" a specific technique I no longer considered myself a beginner in that technique. Also when I reach a point where I can offer up helpful advice more than ask for it on any specific technique then I no longer consider myself a beginner in that are.

I have recently started teaching some beading classes. Tomorrow I'm teaching an Nbedele stitch class. It's my favorite stitch to do and teach. However, I am just learning how to do peyote cleanly and would consider myself a beginner because I know i don't have enough knowledge about it or the skill level to help others out.

shellie :)

I would say far more of my pieces are imperfect than not and those I either keep for myself or redo. I would definitely agree that my ability to still make mistakes definitely keeps me humble but

http://creativeeclectica.blogspot.com

Not Ranked
Posts 20
Lyn59 wrote
on Sep 29, 2012 10:05 PM

Maybe we need to look at what we call ourselves. Having only started beading in the last month I'm definitely new to the arena however I think I would like to be considered an apprentice. After all I'm learning new skills which is what an apprentice does and I hope to eventually be good enough to graduate to the next level, Journeyman. This means that I  would have a wide range of experience, covering most fields of the trade. I could create items well enough to sell, usually with guidance from a Craftsman or even a Master Craftsman, no sexism meant. However even Master Craftsmen still learn new techniques etc.

So I guess I'm an apprentice but what a fun trade I've chosen. I probably won't ever become a Craftsman but at least the journey will be fun.

Just had another thought, unusual I know but even I get inspired sometimes. I think the people who've been an apprentice for a few years, selling your work etc need to move up to Journeyman level so the new apprentices don't feel quite so inadequate. I mean, if you still feel like a beginner after 30 years what chance do I have!!! I need some Journeymen and Craftsmen to help me get to the next level. I'm not supposed to learn from another apprentice, that's not how the system works!!

Lyn

Page 3 of 3 (34 items) < Previous  1 2 3 | RSS