When do you stop calling yourself "Beginner?"

This post has 33 Replies | 10 Followers rated by 4 users
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 211
BeadingCat wrote
on Oct 14, 2009 4:21 AM

What a interesting question!!!!!!

I concider myself as a trainee, because I'haven't stopp learning now. :)

I'm a straight stringer, I hope I put it right. I haven't done wirework  or chain maille jet

But anyway I don't have to much time to bead right now :( So the learning process will stretch :)

sincerely Gabie / Munich Germany

A sunbeam is like a little smile, you ever can't get enough of both

http://perlenkatzes-schmuckblog.blogspot.com/

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 978
Editor
on Oct 14, 2009 4:48 AM

Now this is an interesting question. I can't remember when I stopped thinking of myself as a beginner.  I remember when my husband and I lived in our second apartment in 2000-2001, that was when I took up off-loom weaving seriously.  I spent hours and hours  beading, learning how to read graphs and charts, and learning about seed beads, threads and needles.  I took weekly classes at a bead store about 50 miles from where I lived, and once I got involved with the community of beaders in that area, I think that was when I stopped thinking of myself as a beginner - I think because I finally had someone else to compare myself to, LOL!  Does that make sense?

That said, I taught a couple of classes this summer around my area.  For one class, I stated in the class description that the class was for intermediate to advanced beaders who were familiar with brick and peyote stitch.  When I actually got to teach the class, it turned out that half of the students enrolled had never done brick stitch before, and the other half had only done a handful of peyote projects.  They obviously thought of themselves as "advanced", yet they didn't have the skills needed to complete the project.  So I think classifying oneself is a highly subjective process!

Does any of that make sense?  LOL!

-Jen

"Yesterday is history.  Tomorrow is a mystery.  But today is a gift.  That's why it is called the present." -Kung Fu Panda

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 119
KristaBella wrote
on Oct 14, 2009 3:41 PM

I consider it a per technique thing. It depends to me, on how many times i've done the technique.. How comfortable I am with it.. Could I teach it? There's a few stitches I do feel comfortable enough to teach.. and I would feel quite comfortable with some.. I suppose in those I don't consider myself a beginner.. But the ones I haven't perfected yet.. I consider myself beginner still.

Krista

Not Ranked
Posts 18
on Apr 17, 2010 10:51 PM

I have to say, I've wondered about that one myself.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
blccrafter wrote
on May 23, 2010 6:20 AM

For me I don't think I will ever stop thinking of myself as a beginner no matter how long I have been beading.  There are so many things to learn and there is something new every day.  I think of what I do as a jack of all trades master of none.  I may get really good at one stich but have problems learning others. And there are constantly new twists to old stiches that it would be difficult to master them all!  Here is a good example,  I have learned the brick stich and although I am fairly comfortable with it I just learned that I can turn it into a tube to make a bangle bracelet or a rope necklace.  I can't wait to try it!   

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,144
on May 24, 2010 7:28 PM

blccrafter:
I have learned the brick stich and although I am fairly comfortable with it I just learned that I can turn it into a tube to make a bangle bracelet or a rope necklace.

I just make the ladder row and stitch the last bead to the first, and Brick Stitch away.

Stan B.

Lakeland, MN

USA

Ignorance is curable; Stupidity has neither cure nor excuse.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 61
ElleBlaisure wrote
on Oct 19, 2010 11:16 AM

Well, honestly that is a difficult question for me. It really depends. I stopped considering myself a beading beginner a couple years ago, however I just started metal work so I'm a beginner there. And I'm always learning new things, so I guess it's just like I said, it just really dependsBig Smile.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 202
Trishie33 wrote
on Oct 24, 2010 9:11 PM

I think I stopped thinking of myself as a beginner when my DH started putting prices to my jewelry. Sometimes even before the piece is finished.  His words: "I bet you could get about $1000.00 for that!"  Smile

Seriously,  I think of myself as sort of a professional businesswise since I have gotten repeat customers for some of my jewelry. 

As far as the craft,  I still feel like a beginner when I start a new technique.  The more stitches and techniques I learn, the more professional I feel. If I can take a new stitch or technique and do variations on that technique or stitch, that's when I know that I am proficient enough in that technique to call myself a professional in that stitch.

Lock up your supplies! No bead is safe from my needles! WooHoo! Stick out tongue

Beadweaver Dreams Blog

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,825
KipperCat wrote
on Mar 6, 2011 11:17 AM

Interesting discussion.  I've been beadweaving for about 2 years now.  Several years ago I did a lot of stringing.  The funny thing is, I expected to pick up  beadweaving skills as fast as the stringing.  Surprise, surprise!  Stringing can involve endless artistry, but the basic skills (how to ensure your necklace doesn't fall apart) can be learned fairly quickly.  Wirework is a whole other area I've yet to do much in - just enough to realize that it takes time and practice to develop a good set of skills as well.   It sort of frustrates me that I can't work with wire at the moment, but I know I need to focus on beadweaving first to achieve the proficiency I crave.  Anything more than wirework is way down the road for me.

All in all, I'd have to say I'm an beginner to intermediate beadweaver, but a rank beginner when it comes to jewelry crafting overall.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,359
D.M.Z wrote
on Mar 6, 2011 1:07 PM

I doubt I'll ever get past being a "beginner"....... at something. For me, I'd have to be proficient at all aspects of jewelry making to think of myself otherwise. I do like to push the envelope a bit, but there are many things I don't enjoy doing, so I'm not very good at those, so I'll always be a beginner at them.

Stringing is a far distant past skill, had to do some recently and had to call my stringing pal to ask about a few details..............I'm a beginner there. Many other skills are just past basic knowledge. The only thing I may be past beginner status is looming. I have done some complex works, with 3D components, some embellishment work, etc. I am giving the local bead society a short intro/talk on looming in a month or so, I'll haul in finished, unfinished work, different types of looms, different beads, etc.

Bravery is something that I feel pushes a person into a new level of skill. I took my first beadweaving class in late 2005, just prior to that taught myself square stitch because I bought a kit and REALLY wanted to make it up. So with a beginning knowledge of right angle weave and square stitch, I found a Tatiana van Item pattern and tackled it................BEGINNER. But I succeeded with the project and now 5 years later I know that I had no business tackling that piece. I made some changes in the pattern because of my lack of knowledge of what she was asking me to do..............beginner.

I laugh at myself and keep at increasing my skill levels, just the other day a life long bead nut stated that she thought I had beaded all my life, she was pretty surprised to find out I was only 6 years into beading.

Donna

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 531
on Mar 6, 2011 6:27 PM

Concerning this field I Personally Dont Believe there is ever one who is an expert at beading/Designing Jewelry...How can there be when there is something new to learn Everyday when it comes to beading and Designing. However I do believe that there are those who have different levels of experience.

I consider Myself a beginner Because I have only been actively Designing for 8 months, and well cause Iam in the beginning stages but it doesent mean Iam not educated about certain styles or know of them.

I just think for every STYLE of jewelry designing there will be the beginners and those who are experienced.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 388
Wolfykwe wrote
on Aug 4, 2011 3:13 PM

Hmmm... for me I'd have to say I'm a beginner in the broad spectrum of beading, because I can only make one style of native drop earrings, native chokers, and some simple string beaded bracelets or beaded hoop earrings.  Really... most of that does not require a lot of skill, and there are so many more styles and techniques to learn!  Now as far as individually, I'd say for those native drop earrings and chokers, I am intermediate level specifically in those formats, because I no longer require an instruction sheet to make the earrings, (I never used an instruction sheet for the chokers) and I am now at a level where rather than follow instructions, I am free to infuse my own creativity and make modifications rather comfortably.  I think when you can begin to adapt a craft and infuse your own creativity, style and vision into it, you are no longer beginner.  But as I say, while I may have progressed in those two areas, they are rather tiny areas in the grand scheme of the beading world.  I believe that once I have absorbed all the basic stitches into my skill set and become comfortable enough to begin to modify and adapt and blend them, I will consider myself intermediate in the beading world.

The best gift you can give anybody is to love yourself.  Gift 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,217
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Sep 16, 2011 7:02 PM

I think I will be able to call myself something other than a beginner, when I have learned all there is to learn about beading, and designing jewelry.  I don't think I will ever be anything other than a beginner, there is just so much to learn. I learn something new everyday. Love this hobby!!!

Happy Beading.

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 61
ElleBlaisure wrote
on Sep 16, 2012 1:34 AM

Hmm that is thought provoking. I guess I started considering myself beyond a beginner when I no longer need references and could work solo without my Master hovering over my shoulder worrying if I was going to light myself on fire haha. 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,715
Valbeads wrote
on Sep 16, 2012 2:59 PM

LOL, that's funny, Elle!  I've been doing this for three years and I still feel like a beginner at a lot of it.

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Page 2 of 3 (34 items) < Previous  1 2 3  Next > | RSS