Wire guard(ian)s/stretching necklace wire

This post has 34 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 2
twokidmom Big Smile [:D] wrote
on Mar 22, 2009 9:18 AM

Hi all. I am glad to find this place! I have a question/comment. So I have only tried using the wire guardians once, but the metal seems like it will scratch the neck of the wearer. Any ideas/comments on this. I don't even want to use them. Also, the beadalon wire, 19 strand, or any other for that matter, whenever I have made necklaces in the past, they ALWAYS stretch out, and there is lots of play (space) in the necklace, which I really don't like. But this happens to all beaders it seems, at least the necklaces i have checked out of others, after a while of wearing. I just don't like the idea of making a necklace and then having that happen. It doesn't seem professional, not that I am of course!! but at least i like to feel like a necklace will be nice..................I have more beads and really love making earrings the most, cause they seem to cause me the last mental anguish! Thanks for all of you guys time!

wrote
on Mar 22, 2009 9:25 AM

I don't have experience with wire guardians myself, but several other people here swear by them.  As for beading wire stretching out, it can happen, but if you store your necklaces flat instead of hanging them it should minimize stretching.  If you're stringing really heavy beads or stones, you might want to use a heavier wire such as 49 strand, .019" or the thickest wire you can get through your beads once.  Hope that helps!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on Mar 22, 2009 10:20 AM

I have used them a few times. I know that others have said that it is easier to tighten the necklace. My thought is that the wire guard keeps the wire from getting too close to itself and allows it to snug up a little more. I don't think that the wire guard is going to poke at someone as the weight of the necklace would hold them in the correct position.

You can always string a piece with them that is great for everyday and wear it yourself for a few weeks or even a month or two. That way you know for sure.

Others that use them will post in their thoughts!

Not Ranked
Posts 2
twokidmom wrote
on Mar 22, 2009 6:23 PM

JSMaz

Hi-Thanks for the response! Do you or have any of you used the filament type of line/cord? It seems like to me that is the only thing that doesn't stretch. But I have only played around with it.Your jewelry is awesome!

StarStarStarStarStar

Sheila H

Hi-Thanks for your answer as well. I will try that, I will just make myself a necklace and wear it for a while, seeing how it feels. I actually eneded that necklace in question, with a swarovski which may have been what was scratchy, because it was a bicone and the edge was a little sharp. You have awesome jewelry too! Thanks!

StarStarStarStarStar

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 711
LitaC2 wrote
on Mar 23, 2009 7:42 AM

If you are having trouble with wire guardians scratching, you can use buillion wire (a/k/a French wire) instead.

Please see my projects at Stoneheart Beads

wrote
on Mar 23, 2009 8:44 AM

When you say filament do you mean fishing line?  If so, lots of us use it.  Many people use Fireline, and I use Spiderwire (mainly because it's cheaper and works well for me).  I don't use it for stringing though, just for beadweaving.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on Mar 23, 2009 8:51 AM

Thanks!

If the piece is going to be heavy then I will use wire. If it is going to be light, then I will use Fireline. You can use the guards with either wire or fireline.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,884
LoisB@23 wrote
on Mar 23, 2009 12:15 PM

I use the wire guards, and LOVE them, but I've never had them cause scratching... however, I have found that swaros often to irritate the back of the neck because of their sharp edges, but also if I've got something scraching either myself or a past customer, usually when I investigate, I find it's the end of my wire that has worked itself out of the last bead I passed it back through at the end. As for the stretching, I agree with some of the others, usually the stretching happens because the finished piece was a bit too heavy for the thickness of the wire used. That, or when I crimped the necklace, I didn't have it hanging down and crimped it with the extra play already in it....

Good luck!

Lois

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,624
Cat_P wrote
on Mar 26, 2009 8:06 AM

I use wire guards without a problem. Never had them scratch my neck or anyone that wore something I made.

As everyone else has said, make sure you are using the heaviest wire possible for you designs.

Cat     Blog  Artfire  Etsy

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,099
Sherri S. wrote
on Mar 27, 2009 6:00 PM

I'm one of those people who swear by the wireguards.  I never make necklaces or bracelets without them.  I find the french bullion hard to work with.  I've never had any necklace made with guardians scratch the neck.  I agree that the Swarovski bicones are uncomfortable for some people on the neck - I had that complaint with some of my lanyards.  So its either the Swarovski crystal or the wire end sticking out. 

I had a customer ask me to restring a necklace for her because it was scratching her neck - and it was because the wire was sticking out of the crimp.  I remade the necklace using the wireguards and covered the crimp with a crimp cover, and she hasn't had a problem since.

As far as the wire stretching, its possible that the beads settled after the necklace was made, so it only appears that the wire stretched.  I sometimes have that problem with chip bead necklaces.  Beadalon advertises "near zero stretch", and I've never had  a problem with this wire stretching.  I also agree that storing necklaces flat will help alleviate any possibility of stretching.

I hope our ideas help you!

Sherri S.

Check out my Etsy Store......

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6321824

Check out my Etsy Beads Store.......

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=7141344

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 515
Shawna18 wrote
on Mar 29, 2009 8:41 AM

I've never had wire stretch before, and i'm only recently moving to the really good brand name wire. Chip beads are the worst for realigning themselves and causing gaps in the wire later. But other beads can settle differently as well, like beads with large holes placed next to small beads, or beads of irregular shapes and sizes being mixed together.  Most likely the problem is beads settling, you could try to turn and shift the beads a lot before you finish a piece, and i've heard of people hanging up a piece by the unfinished end for a few hours or days to be sure that the beads are shifted or your stringing material has been prestretched b4 u finish off the end. I just play with mine and twist the beads till they look like they are as flush against eachother as they are going to get b4 i crimp my end, only thing i've ever had a gap show up on later was cheap beading thread (i was a noob and never found tigertail and stuff yet, or knew to prestretch thread).

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 791
on Mar 29, 2009 11:53 AM

Sherri, I think you probably are our resident expert on wire guards.  So, where is the best/cheapest place to find them in bulk?

As for crimp covers, I now use them on every single crimp I do, regardless of the piece.  I hate the look of uncovered, unfinished crimps.

Has anyone used the Magic Crimp tool?  I think that's what it's called -- it turns a crimp bead into a silver bead.  I've been thinking of getting one, but I'd like to have feedback, from real beaders who have used it and aren't simply trying to sell me one.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,296
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Mar 29, 2009 4:44 PM

Dawn I have used the magical crimp tool and loved it from the very first crimp I did with it. there is no need for a crimp cover when using one, for the crimp when finished looks just like a 2mm silver bead. If you get a chance maybe at t LBS if they will let you give it a try do so.  I know you will fall in love with them. Just remember that you need the right size tool and silver or golf filled crimp tube to go with the size wire you are using.

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 791
on Mar 29, 2009 8:17 PM

I was hoping to hear that, Sue.  I have some beads that I think I'd like to float on wire, but didn't want to waste money on a tool that I might hate.  So, the Magic Crimper stays on the wish list.

wrote
on Apr 2, 2009 10:20 AM

If you get French (bouillon) wire, it works the same as a wire guardian but it will end up being cheaper in the long run than the individually made ones.  I'm ordering some from FMG and it comes in a 5 foot section.  That should last me awhile.

Page 1 of 3 (35 items) 1 2 3  Next > | RSS