RAW Copper Cross

This post has 15 Replies | 3 Followers
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 791
on Feb 18, 2009 5:20 PM

The pattern for this cross was recently posted over on the "Where can I find?" page.  In a fit of frustration that some of my current PIP's (projects in process) aren't turning out the way I want, I decided to finish my cross.  Made with 6mm hollow copper unfaceted bicones because I didn't have enough of the 4mm Swarovskis, and small hollow copper round beads on the perimeter to stitch the 2 crosses together to make it 3D.  Since I used larger and heavier beads than the pattern called for (and actually stitched the individual crosses differently than the pattern), I used 12# fishing line with a large eye needle and reinforced the crosses individually pretty well before stitching them together.  I plan to whip up a jump ring using the same round copper beads and then put this on my key chain.  Although the picture doesn't do the copper justice, I think you can see why it's become my new favorite metal.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,260
Billy Z wrote
on Feb 18, 2009 6:50 PM

I don't think that faceted beads would have looked as nice personally. Metal is supposed to be slick and the way that it turned out, it could easily be unisex to boot. Very nice indeed.

Billy ;o)

I yam wut I yam and dats all wut I yam. ~Popeye~

Dragonfly Jewelry Designs - ArtFire Artisan Studio

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 791
on Feb 18, 2009 6:54 PM

Well, thanks Billy!  Here's a better picture, showing the "jump ring" I made to be able to attach it to my keychain.  Kid just got home and it's now with my keys.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,260
Billy Z wrote
on Feb 18, 2009 7:25 PM

Sweet!

Billy ;o)

wrote
on Feb 18, 2009 11:41 PM

Hey, I really like that!  I've never seen copper bicones like that.  Where did you find them?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,742
Kokopelli wrote
on Feb 19, 2009 12:59 AM

Nice work, Dawn! I can see the picture now. The photobucket one appeared on my screen as deleted or moved (I just saw the photobucket logo). I love the beads, both the bicones and the seedbeads.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,260
Billy Z wrote
on Feb 19, 2009 1:21 AM

I made one side of the 3-D version from Spiderwire and glass 3 mm bicones. It lays nice and flat, yet still has some flexability. I haven't decided whether to put it on a beaded necklace or a simple silver chain. I'm thinking of making myself a blue one with all 4 arms of the cross the same length. I may make up a couple for the show too. I live dead center of the Bible-Belt of SC, so they wold probably go pretty well. Especially, I can make one from 4mm(like it called for *laughz*)glass bicones in 3-D for less than $3.00 in parts and I feel that they will work up much faster after doing a couple.I'd mark it at $15.00-$18.00 and take a buck less if they bought a couple of pieces and really wanted to dicker. *grinz*

Billy ;o)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,144
on Feb 19, 2009 9:17 AM

The picture really explains it all!!!!  Your explanation in your initial post unfotunately left out the source of the bicones.  Hope you will post that soon.

I LUV IT !! !! !!

Stan B.

Stan B.

Lakeland, MN

USA

Ignorance is curable; Stupidity has neither cure nor excuse.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on Feb 20, 2009 8:52 AM

Dawn - This is stunning! I agree that I was not getting a clear picture in my mind from the description but the picture says it all. I also have never seen the copper beads like this. You have to disclose your secret source! PLEASE!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,235
popnicute wrote
on Feb 21, 2009 5:10 AM

i usually see this kind of cross done in crystals. so it's a nice thing to see this was done in copper :D neat work :D

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 791
on Feb 21, 2009 5:35 PM

Sorry about the confusion, folks.  The first picture wasn't really very good and didn't have the beaded jump ring done, so I deleted it without thinking about the confusion it would create over here.

I got the copper bicones at one of my LBS's.  I originally got them to go with other focal beads but once I got them all home, I found that they just didn't look as good as they did in the store (her lighting is reallllly poor, so I've learned not to get specific colors with her unless she lets me walk outside for a few seconds, she's gotten to know me so this usually isn't a problem).  This cross has turned out to be one of my favorite projects.

Billy, I'm sure these would sell well in your area.  Just remember to let those cranky Catholics know that they haven't been blessed by the Father....lol.

wrote
on Feb 22, 2009 9:27 AM

I did a quick Google search for these, and I found 3mm bicones at Rings'N'Things, and 5mm at abeadshop.com, although they were out of stock.  Just thought I'd pass it on...

Not Ranked
Posts 1
emonique wrote
on Mar 14, 2013 4:49 PM

I want one. How do you make it?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,267
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Mar 14, 2013 5:52 PM

That post is 4 years old, and Sunrise hasn't been around here in almost as many years.

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 149
Handcrafted wrote
on Mar 15, 2013 7:10 AM

This is really clever it is amazing what can be achieved with different shaped and coloured beads.

Thank you for sharing and giving details

Handmade jewellery designs found here

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS