What stitch would you recommend for this?

This post has 2 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 13
on Jun 17, 2014 10:25 AM

Hello, all!  I intend to make a bracelet to mark a friend's 5-year cancer-free milestone. I've drawn a design of 3 pink ribbons and chosen beautiful delicas to work it in. Now, I'm trying to decide which stitch to use. I'd like to have one that shows as little thread as possible, so would you recommend brick, peyote, square - or something else? I'm also trying to take into account the sharp edges on the delicas. My vision is a solid band with the 3-ribbon design, and I don't have a loom so need an off-loom stitch. I hope I've given you enough information! Thanks for any suggestions.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 220
trayck wrote
on Jun 18, 2014 7:23 AM

From what you have written it sounds like you are making some sort of cuff which could be done in any of the 3 stitches you have mentioned.

All three stitches pretty much hide the thread in the body of the weaving but the main difference is that with Peyote the thread shows along the side edge of the bracelet as the beads sit sideways and with Brick and Square the thread shows at the ends as the beads sit up and down.

Another thing to think about is 'does the pattern seem to look smoother  (i.e. curves of the ribbons) on one stitch compared to the others?

Perhaps you could draw up one ribbon portion of your pattern the width you will be making it and  bead it in all 3 stitches to see which one you like the most. That way you only have to bead a small bit of the bracelet not the whole thing before you decide if you like it or not.

Matching up your thread so it is close to the main colour of your bracelet so it will blend in with the beads instead of standing out will help. Or if using fireline make sure to use a light colour like crystal for pale beads and smoke for dark beads.

If it was me I'd be inclined to do it with peyote stitch as I feel most comfortable with this stitch and perhaps if it suited the pattern make pink picots along the sides which would cover the thread down the sides

Hope this gives you some help and does not confuse things any further.

T.

Not Ranked
Posts 5
shar72 wrote
on Oct 17, 2014 4:26 PM

Hi,

You are a great friend to do this project. I am a survivor also.

I would suggest you chart out your design on beading chart paper  you can get it for free online - just google it or go to FireMountain beading supplies or Beadaholique.  Then decide if you are going to do it with even count peyote stitch or odd count peyote stitch. remember to use thread that closely matches you background color. or if you are really daring use clear monofilament thread.

good luck and post a pic of the your project when you have finished.

Take care,

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS