Questions surrounding a beaded curtain project

This post has 5 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Smew wrote
on Jun 15, 2014 7:37 PM

Hello,

First time beading.  I'm undertaking a beaded curtain for my kitchen.  I've purchased some lovely ceramic beads and spacers off ebay.  Did a 'trial run' string of some small beads that aren't part of the final project and I'm noticing the beads are not falling in a straight line.  It is me or the beads?  When I drape them around my neck they're fine.  I'm only running into problems with a straight drop.

I'm using a 2mm wire thread (seemed like a good idea at the time).

My questions are:

1. How can I space the beads so they look straight?
  2. The wire has broken once already, should I move to a fishing line?
  3. Cleaning.  As this will hang in the kitchen, any tips on cleaning ceramic beads?

This is a big project for me and I want to try and get it right the first (or at least the second) time.

Thanks!!

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Smew wrote
on Jun 15, 2014 7:42 PM

ps Boy am I glad I found this place!!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 634
shanks wrote
on Jun 16, 2014 10:52 AM

Welcome to the forum. I can not help you, but you shoud post this down in the section called "How Do I?"  It will be seen by a lot more people.

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Smew wrote
on Jun 16, 2014 3:13 PM

Thanks!  I missed seeing the forum folders.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on Nov 15, 2014 10:06 PM

Thanks for the interest. Good luck in your progression and future!

In most cases, cleaning new glass or ceramic bead media is unnecessary.  Most researchers use them straight out of the bottle.  The only contaminate - carbon black - is so inert that its presence in your prep has no effect.  And, it is soon removed upon centrifugation or filtration in the steps that usually follow cell disruption.  Do not acid wash beads.  It is a waste of time.

Clean used glass or ceramic beads by soaking in a solution of laboratory detergent (the kind used to wash labware).  Now and then, agitate the beads by swirling. Then rinse away all detergent with several changes of tap water and then with RO- or distilled water.  Dry the beads in an open stainless steel or glass tray at 40 to 70ºC.  If the dried beads do not pour freely (i.e., they are caked together), then they were not cleaned or rinsed well enough.  Repeat the cleaning protocol.

Cleaning chrome steel or stainless steel beads requires a modified procedure.  The washing step must be short - lasting only a few minutes.  Ditto for the water rinse.  Then, promptly remove all water from the surface of the beads by washing the beads with three changes of absolute (100%) ethanol, pure (100%) isopropanol or acetone.  Air dry at RT or in a warm oven to flash evaporate the solvent.  Store clean, dry beads in a sealed bottle.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,328
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Nov 17, 2014 9:55 AM

sujatapiriti90,

Since advertising of any type is not allowed in the body of the posts, such as you have, I have deleted your advertisement from this post. 

If you have any questions as to this site, please refer to the rules and guidelines. 

Thank you for your understanding. 

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS