How long does it take a new topic to appear?

This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 3
on Apr 3, 2014 7:27 AM

Hi all! I am new to this site and tried to post my first topic yesterday in the "Where can I find?" forum. I got a notification that the topic would be posted pending moderator review. It still hasn't been posted, and this was about 20 hours ago. Is there a standard amount of time this usually takes? Is there a way to view/keep tabs on my pending posts? Of course, if there is a standard amount of time, then I guess *this* topic won't be posted right away... but it's worth a try! Thanks!

ETA: Looks like this one showed up immediately. Maybe my other one got eaten.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 182
KathyK1999 wrote
on Apr 3, 2014 8:26 AM

I think posts sometimes (always?) go to moderation if you embed links in the body of the post.  Could that be the issue?

Kathy

Not Ranked
Posts 3
on Apr 3, 2014 8:40 AM

I had a bunch of links in my other post. That could definitely be it. Thanks so much!

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 99
on Apr 3, 2014 11:28 AM

I had a post go into moderation one time. All it said was  "Thank you!"

miqui

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,218
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Apr 5, 2014 9:57 AM

Allison,

Because the problem with have with spam on this site it is necessary for posts that contain one or more links are subject to moderation. Which usually means file 13. Sorry that this is a problem for some. What I would first suggest is to read the rules of the site, and don't jeopardize your membership by stepping over the lines set by Interweave (the owner of this site). As all spam will be deleted, and unauthorized copyrighted materials will be deleted. They is a very good list of what is allowed here and what isn't, so save yourself lots of frustration by reading and following the rules and guideline.

Thanks    

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
on Apr 6, 2014 10:38 AM

Hi Sue. I did read the community guidelines before posting. Unfortunately, I didn't see anything warning against posting topics with links (only with regards to advertising & copyright). Could you show me where this is mentioned? Perhaps I was looking in the wrong place.

I tried my best to follow the rules and suggestions - I filled out my profile, set a custom avatar, researched the topic to make sure my question hadn't been asked before, and had a look around the forums to make sure I was posting in the right place. My experience in other forums has taught me to be a good and informed newbie. :-)

I am not sure what lines my post could have crossed... certainly nothing that could "jeopardize my membership"! It was a simple question about Toho seed bead colorways. It certainly wasn't spam. Is there any way for me to find out exactly why my post was rejected, or to recover the text so I could try it again without the links? I put a lot of effort into it, and was looking forward to seeing what the experienced beaders here thought.

Thanks!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,218
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Apr 6, 2014 11:17 AM

I am sorry that this has happened to you. Unfortunately, I don't think anyone is manning the things that the site sends to moderation, and it just disappears into never, never land. I myself, had several things that went into moderation several years ago and they never did show up and there wasn't even a hyperlink in the posts. 

I have no control over the posts that go to moderation,nor do I ever see them. When posting with links I would suggest that you only put one link or picture on the site at a time. It seems until you have been a member for awhile, there is a little tighter control on the links. I am sure that you had all good intentions in mind when you posted your thread, and to have it just vanish into cyberspace is very frustrating. What I would do in the future, at least for a little while, is to do a copy before you hit the post button,and then if the post doesn't show up right away, you at least have it copied. Then I would paste it in maybe in "note" or another program to save it and then re-post it a little later in the day or the next day. 

Unfortunately I wasn't privy to your post so I can't answer you question as to why it went to moderation, I was just pointing out some of the things other new members fail to do. I am sorry for having put you in the same group as some of the others new members. It seems you are trying your best to be a great member, reading the rules and guidelines and I too would be confused had I follow the steps you did and still have your post go to moderation. So I repeat that I am sorry this has happened to you. Please stick around and try again. I am sure you have good intentions of being a great giving member. 

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS