Ogallala bead stitch?

This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 539
Emma.J wrote
on Feb 8, 2014 2:38 AM

I was wondering if someone could help me..

I saw a picture of a beaded bracelet online the other day (which unfortunately I am not allowed to post a picture of) but it was made is a bead stitch called 'ogallala beading stitch', but I have never heard of this stitch before. It's almost like little loops on a beaded base, but I can't seem to find any good instructions on this stitch.

Has anyone heard of it/done it before/able to help me?

Thanks

Emma
xXx 

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 101
Violet Fairy wrote
on Feb 8, 2014 5:22 AM

Hi Emma!

I had a vague recollection of seeing it before, but couldn't remember where so I googled it..... Turns out there are a number of variations to the spelling for this stitch - "Oglala" and "Ogalala". I saw the stitch referred to as "Oglala (or Ogallala or Oglala) butterfly stitch" a number of times, too.

I found the one I saw before - "Ogalala butterfly stitch" - Maneki has a picture of a bracelet on her "wild roses and blackberries" blog. Not sure if the instructions are there, but I love her blog anyway.

I also saw a tutorial on "inspirational beading" - another blog on blogspot. I found a number of links to tutorials and instructions when I googled "Oglala stitch" - I haven't posted any links, cos I'm not sure if it's allowed! Thought if I told you how I found them, that would work.

Hope that helps!

Big hugs,

Sarah

XX

Wilted FlowerThe next time someone promises me the earth but gives me manure I'm planting seeds and growing flowers! Wilted Flower

Wilted Flower Wilted Flower Wilted Flower Wilted Flower Wilted Flower Wilted Flower Wilted Flower Wilted Flower Wilted Flower Wilted Flower Wilted Flower Wilted Flower Wilted Flower Wilted Flower Wilted Flower Wilted Flower Wilted Flower Wilted Flower Wilted Flower Wilted Flower Wilted Flower Wilted Flower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,258
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Feb 8, 2014 7:00 AM

Emma, here are the directions you are looking for.

http://inspirationalbeading.blogspot.com/2013/01/beading-tutorial-ogalala-netting.html

enjoy.

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 101
Violet Fairy wrote
on Feb 8, 2014 7:11 AM

Thanks, Sue!

That's the tutorial I wanted to point Emma to. I wasn't sure of the rules about posting links in replies, so thought it best to err on the side of caution rather than my post get consigned to limbo-land for all eternity.....

Hope you find the tutorial useful, Emma.

Big hugs,

Sarah

xx

Wilted FlowerThe next time someone promises me the earth but gives me manure I'm planting seeds and growing flowers! Wilted Flower

Wilted Flower Wilted Flower Wilted Flower Wilted Flower Wilted Flower Wilted Flower Wilted Flower Wilted Flower Wilted Flower Wilted Flower Wilted Flower Wilted Flower Wilted Flower Wilted Flower Wilted Flower Wilted Flower Wilted Flower Wilted Flower Wilted Flower Wilted Flower Wilted Flower Wilted Flower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,258
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Feb 8, 2014 8:17 AM

Sarah, you can post links to something someone is looking for such as a design, but not a picture that doesn't belong to you and you can not post a link to a site that you own or are associated with that sell products or services, that would be advertising.

So if you want to show something but the picture doesn't belong to you post the link where you can find it. That way there is no copyright infringement.  

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 126
ScottishSue wrote
on Feb 8, 2014 9:45 AM

Hello:

I have made several necklaces (and even a bracelet) with this stitch, but I used a pattern from Bead&Button (Ogalala Lace by Kathy Dubuque, December 2001).  It has a bead in the center of each ruffle and uses an art bead as a pendant.  I have made it with and without a pendant.  If you haven't collected back issues of that particular magazine, the pattern is also for sale for 3.95 at their bookstore.  

ScottishSue

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS