Beading illustration software

This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Editor
on Jan 25, 2009 6:22 AM

I hope I'm posting this in the right place, but...

I am looking for some (preferably) low-cost computer software that will let me make nice, neat illustrations for my beading directions.  I'm terrible at drawing things by hand (really, really bad!) and I have had no luck using things like Microsoft Paint (which I know is probably like the Caveman way of doing it!).

Does anyone have any recommendations?  I just received two kits by Chris Prussing, and her illustrations are always so nice and clear!  I'd love to be able to do illustrations like that!

-Jen

"Yesterday is history.  Tomorrow is a mystery.  But today is a gift.  That's why it is called the present." -Kung Fu Panda

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 546
CryssT wrote
on Jan 25, 2009 9:38 PM

try Bead Tool 3 - http://www.beadtool.net/     it's a neat program and fairly easy to figure out, you can even import pictures. hope this helps.

wrote
on Jan 26, 2009 7:53 AM

I had a look at their site, but I'm thinking what Jen meant was something to draw instructional diagrams, not just a pattern.  I'd be interested in knowing what they use for that too.  I can draw diagrams that I would understand, but not sure how well anyone else would...

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 711
LitaC2 wrote
on Jan 26, 2009 8:43 AM

Count me in too!  Which is so totally bizarre for me, since I've got a computer with the obscenely expensive Photoshop CS4 - a program which does not have a tool for drawing a simple curved line as a vector.

Please see my projects at Stoneheart Beads

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,260
Billy Z wrote
on Jan 26, 2009 9:09 AM

You can do it with MS Paint, but I would not wish that task on my worst enemy. If that is all you have and have plenty of time, then you can do some nice stuff with plain ole Paint. I'm retired and I don't even have that much time. Paint will do a lot of stuff, it's just awkward to deal with at best.

I have Adobe Photoshop 6 as well as Jasc Software's Paint Shop Pro 6. Both of these are fairly old(I think PSP is like up to version 10 or something now), but I can still do the job with either when needed, ya know. Adobe Photoshop is the industry "standard" for doing any kind of illustrating, drawing, and photo retouching, but it is also way expensive. I'm not sure about their newest suite of products, but with version 6, Photoshop was over $300 with a student discount. I paid $99 for Jasc's PSP6 and in my humble opinion, it is much easier to learn, to work with, and a great majority of of the Photoshop filters and add-ons will also work with PSP. PSP will also import directly from practically any scanner/camera out there too.

Go to www.jasc.com and paruse the newest versions features and everything. If you have a student(or a friend does), you can get it at a pretty fair deal still I think. If you go with either of these, I'll gladly help you get started in any way that I can. I'm fairly profecient in both.

Billy

I yam wut I yam and dats all wut I yam. ~Popeye~

Dragonfly Jewelry Designs - ArtFire Artisan Studio

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,242
on Jan 26, 2009 10:15 AM

If its something like photeoshop you want ....
Try GIMP... thats a photoshop type program ... but its completely free.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,252
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Jan 26, 2009 10:37 AM

I just went to the hot link Billy provided and they are running a special right now on PSP ultimate for $69.99 and it comes with lots of extras too. www.jasc.com  check it out for yourself.

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Editor
on Jan 29, 2009 9:22 AM

I have Photoshop and use it all the time for editing my photos and creating banners and avatars, but haven't been able to figure out how to use it for beading diagram illustrations.  Billy, I may take you up on that offer!  I need to find a way to make good illustrations for my diagrams for my patterns. 

"Yesterday is history.  Tomorrow is a mystery.  But today is a gift.  That's why it is called the present." -Kung Fu Panda

Not Ranked
Posts 16
on Jan 29, 2009 9:55 AM

Has anyone ever tried actually converting stuff drawn on paint to a weaving project?
I'm a pixeler (I draw little things on paint :P) and I was wondering how I could turn my colours from my project into the right bead colours?

dragonflied.webs.com - Dragonflie Jewellery

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,252
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Jan 29, 2009 10:54 AM

I can't do much of anything on the computer never the less draw.

Here is a free beading program that might be of interest to you. It's free but he will except "Thank you donations".  http://www.easybeadpatterns.com this program may be a help to you. If you can draw on paint I am sure you won't have any problems with this program.

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
LaurieF@7 wrote
on Jul 14, 2010 6:18 AM

I am looking for the same thing....did anyone have any suggestions that you would recommend?

Thanks,

Laurie

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 272
abney_m wrote
on Jul 14, 2010 9:23 PM

Inkscape. It's absolutely free (google it) and after playing around with it for a while you can make the most beautiful illustrations with it. All three of the tutorials in my shop were made using Inkscape illustrations. I had to do it that way because my designs did not follow a set pattern like herringbone or peyote.

It's a great program for being free, and it includes tutorials so you can learn how to use it.

Good luck!

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS