Best way to work with magnetic clasps?

This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 155
trayck wrote
on Oct 27, 2013 3:45 AM

I've just finished a necklace and bracelet and have used magenitc clasps on both of them.  AARGH. Angry

The little so and so's kept sticking to my pliers or the jump rings and it took me forever to finally get them attached after much cursing and stamping of feet.

Does anyone have any handy tips when it comes to using magnets? 

Or does anyone know where I can get some plastic pliers and jump rings that won't stick to the magnets?

T.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 459
shanks wrote
on Oct 27, 2013 9:09 AM

I am with you on this, but the worst part is that your pliers get magnetised  as well. Amazing how much stuff jumps on my regular pliers. Sterling jump rings will not stick.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 237
beadinstyle wrote
on Oct 27, 2013 8:58 PM

I share your pain. I hate that my pliers are magnetised, now. I had a Plan at one stage to just use a dedicated pair for attaching these clasps, but I do so many clasp exchanges now, often while someone is waiting, that we just grab the closest pair Confused

I guess I just need to be more disciplined.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,355
D.M.Z wrote
on Oct 28, 2013 1:08 AM

I've been sitting here mulling over why I don't have that problem...........I sort of felt left out, kinda. But it finally occurs to me that I don't usually use mag clasps with jump rings...........aha, now I don't feel so bad. Most of the mag clasps I use are like the fold over mags, or it they are just the magnets, they are usually hidden inside of some beading.......glass and thread. I have a gizmo that I use to get rid of static electricity like inside the plastic bead containers, it just is some sort of metal stick and I wave it around inside the container and it de-statics the beads. I'd bet there is a way to demagnetize your pliers.

I just asked the expert............he sez that if you have a soldering gun (or if your other half has one out in his shop....don't all guys have a shop where they go and hide while we bead?) you can demag those pliers. The soldering gun has a sort of snout that comes out the front (two metal tubes) of it then a smaller u shaped wire connects the two metal tubes. If you put the pliers between the two tubes, turn on the soldering gun and slowly draw the pliers out of the space between the two tubes, it will demag the pliers. Well, who knew. He sez that he hates it when his tools get magged up too and that is what he does to fix them. Easy peasy. Donna

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 155
trayck wrote
on Oct 28, 2013 3:41 AM

Great tip Donna!

Will have to get DH to check out in the shed for one this weekend. There's sure to be one there somewhere, it''s just a matter of trying to find it.

T.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 237
beadinstyle wrote
on Oct 28, 2013 4:30 PM

Wow, awesome tip, Donna and Donna's-Other-Half. And whaddaya know, I might finally have a use for that soldering iron in the storeroom, lol

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 58
AlexiaFF wrote
on Oct 29, 2013 9:25 AM

Keep both ends of the clasp together while attaching to piece.don't seperate the magnets.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 155
trayck wrote
on Oct 31, 2013 5:43 AM

That is a great suggestion AlexiaFF but I had the clasps done up and the pliers/jumprings were still sticking

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS